Everton Youth Teams Thread

Burnley u18s take the lead v Everton u18s on 23mins - Unwin the scorer
1-0 Burnley HT, there keeper supposedly made a great save just after the 30min mark to stop us drawing level

1601722179019.png

Decided against a long winded rant so I’ll just say the pending transfer of Godfrey is a big blow to Gibson. His potential first team inclusion has been set back two years at least.. and if I had to put a stick in the sand I would say has dropped significantly to ever be in.
Don’t want to sound so negative just disappointed as I felt he was so close and seen this movie before. Up to Gibson now to bash that door down..

No issue with Godfrey... sure he will be fantastic..
...it’s a cut-throat game at this level and youngsters have to be very special to have a career at Everton. Saying that, Gibson is being handsomely rewarded from a financial perspective.

I’ve been a big Gibson fan for many years but I didn’t think the signs were good when he was sent on loan despite our CB situation. It also appears Branthwaite has leapfrogged him in the pecking order.
yep exactly.. feels cut throat too with this one. He has an excellent CV and ticked all my minimum requirements to show he had it...his only fault is he is two years younger in his experience. That’s my take anyway...Did Branthwaite leapfrog cos he is better or again being in the squad at the right time and place to take your chance.

But agree.. going on loan was not a good sign as it meant he didn’t tick the final box.. being in the first team squad by 20.

I feel very strongly around high potentials given game time... hence the disappointment.. is what it is.... and of course every player in blue has full unwavering support..
I'm sure the plan was always to send out Gibson on loan again this year to get first team football, wasn't this stated when he signed his contract before going out on loan to Fleetwood?

He's only played half a season of football so far and if he can get a good number of games at Reading then I think he'll be ready to compete for a place in the team next year.
I think the 2nd loan is a big set back. Sure the first one to Fleetwood you could make some sense of, but we were very short and they were happy for him to go.

We all want to see young players coming through, but there also has to be a pragmatism. I saw Brighton had turned down bigs of £30m for Ben White who hadn't played for them but had a season at Leeds and impressed in the championship. If Gibson can do well, and we get bids even approaching that it will be very successful for the club and tmhe player himself. It's how we will start showing profits in the accounts.
Gibson needs the loan, up to now he's played 9 first team games, compare with Godfrey who has almost 120 and a season in the Premier League behind him. A good season at reading from Gibson and he'll hopefully come back and challenge for a squad place next year. Branthwaite is in a similar position, he had a bit of luck to get in the team at the end of the season due to injuries and acquitted himself well. If he hadn't have picked up a knock would he have been 4th choice this season? I'm not so sure, I'd expect a loan for him but maybe not until January.

With Keane (27), Mina (26), Holgate (24 this month) and Godfrey (22) we'd have a really good balance of players in terms of profile and age. The challenge for Gibson and Branthwaite would be to come back from loans and push for a place in the squad. Gibson at 20 is probably under more pressure to do this next year than Branthwaite who is still only 18. Mina is probably the player who is most vulnerable in terms of his place in the squad, he's had injury issues and still hasn't truly convinced.
I like Gibson but he’s still got to prove himself. He was good at League 1. Fleetwood , now at 20 he’s got a chance at Championship Reading so who knows. We‘ve been pursuing two 22 year olds Tomori and Godfrey on the back of their Championship and PL performances , Holgate was 22 when he went to the Championship with WBA and kicked on so we can afford to see how he does over the next two years.
On the positive side with Gibson 20 , Astley nearly 19, Branthwaite 18 and a bunch of decent 16/17 year olds coming through we could have our CB positions sorted for years to come.

We could have europe next season so in an ideal world would have 2 teams good enough to compete in the squad.

We seem to have Holgate/Godfrey + Keane/Mina at the moment with Branthwaite and Gibson behind them.

One thing that both Gibson and Branthwaite have going for them is that they are left footed.

Just looking at 'similarities' you could see Branthwaite competing with Keane/Mina due to his height and profile but also with the more regular left sided centre backs, Holgate and Mina.

My guess is that with Godfrey as the new signing + Holgate and Keane having had their contracts extended Mina will be sold in the next 2 summers and Branthwaite is earmarked to take his place in the squad.

That could change of course and Mina may get an extension...total guesswork.

From what i understand Gibson is more of a 'john terry' type? Sounds like hes a good all rounder and strong passer but the main thing is his positioning, composure and leadership?

So a different profile and perhaps someone who could be best centrally in a 3 man defence?

Everton u18s pulled off a Briliant win to come from 2-0 down and score 3 goals after Burnley went down to 10men on 65min
Cannon on 70mins and Small on 86 and 90 give Everton the win that puts them top for a few hours at least-next game home v Leeds in 2 weeks
That’s a super comeback , I would say just the kind of spirit we have in the club at the moment but in fairness Tait has had the u18s make a few comebacks in recent years.

Was he playing left back as well?

From the initial team yes Small at left back , Higgins RB, Welch/ Kristensen CBs . It‘ll be interesting to see if Tait changed the format 2nd half as he had 2 CB s on the bench maybe a back three with Higgins/ Small wing backs pushing up - just guessing of course , but nice to do so from a positive perspective !

Looks like Small is the new Nkounkou ! :)

Last edited:
From Burnley

REPORT: Burnley U18s 2 Everton U18s 3
October 3, 2020
News
Tony Philliskirk’s side fell to a 3-2 defeat against Everton on a competitive afternoon at Leyland, in the U18 Northern Premier League.
Despite the Clarets leading 2-0 in the 70th minute through goals from Sam Unwin and Joe McGlynn, after being reduced to 10 men and controlling the majority of the game, Everton hit back from the spot and two goals in the last five minutes, to take home all three points on a wet and windy afternoon at the Lancashire FA base.
The Toffees started on the front foot and came close to breaking the deadlock after 10 minutes, as defender Reece Welch glanced a back-post header just wide.
But the Clarets grew into the game and began to find their feet, as Philliskirk’s side began to create chances of their own.

https://media-cdn.incrowdsports.com/3bfdcb32-3111-426e-b215-27efcf74a150.jpg

And the opener came just after 20 minutes, as Kade Ratchford broke into the area and teed the ball up for Unwin to slot home from close range to give the hosts the lead.
Minutes later the Clarets could have had a second, as McGlynn raced into the area, before seeing his shot saved by Zan-Luk Leban in the Blues’ goal.
Everton looked to reply before the break, as Luke Butterfield’s long-range cross caught out the Clarets’ defence, with goalkeeper Sam Waller making a smart stop to deny the midfielder.
Burnley headed into the interval with the lead but weren’t taking their foot off the gas as they began the second half.
From a throw-in, McGlynn picked up the ball and turned his man, before charging into the box and firing home past a stranded Luk-Leban in the Toffees goal.

https://media-cdn.incrowdsports.com/a92b4027-0abc-4ec9-bc31-1afcc750d44d.jpg

Just 10 minutes later the home side came close to a third, as skipper Joel Connolly, whipped a fine ball in for Unwin at the back-post, only for Liam Higgins to head away the danger.
The Clarets were then reduced to 10 men just after the mark, after Matty Carson was shown his marching orders for a challenge on Charlie Whittaker.
And Burnley’s afternoon took another dent, as Corey Brennan was adjudged to have fouled Tom Cannon inside the area, with the striker stepping up and firing home from the spot with 20 minutes to go.
The visitors were looking for an instant second moments later, as Higgins fired an effort from 25 yards, but Waller had it covered, despite taking a wicked bobble on a drenched pitch.

https://media-cdn.incrowdsports.com/e46e72f8-3ea9-4125-9d1a-094d551547ba.jpg

But the away side did get an equaliser with four minutes to go, as defender Thierry Small headed home from a corner, moments after an excellent goal line block from Connolly.
And the Toffees then grabbed the winner in stoppage time, as Small was there again to tuck home from close range and give the Blues the lead for the first time in the match.
BURNLEY: Waller, Connolly, Trialist, Carson, Trialist, Behan (Armstrong 68), Moonan, Brennan, Ratchford, McGlynn, Unwin.