How important is the EL spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphabet

Player Valuation: £1.5m
So, I've got this question ever since I started lurking around GOT and reddits of PL teams (Arsenal, CFC, Everton, etc). My question is, how important is the minor European competition for English fans and clubs?

I've got this impression for years that if it's not CL, that you'd rather not be competing. That PL is be all end all of competitions. Heck, that even FA cup is more important than Europa League. And certainly, lineups that English teams field in such competitions kinda prove me that I'm right. It's mostly rotation squads there unless it's QF or some later stage. And now I'm reading the reddits and forums, I'm seeing these completely different opinions to what I thought was normal. Fans actually looking forward to EL, etc, and it's leaving me a bit confused.

Would be nice if you guys could explain a bit and shed some light on the importance of EL for you guys.

If Everton were in the Europa League - I'd rather Everton put a stronger team out in the FA Cup, and even the League Cup. It's embarrassing we've never won that domestic cup, and we're so desperate to win anything, something - I'd fancy our chances more for the League Cup over Europa League.

They've progressively made the Europa League less and less attractive. It needed to be standalone, with less football and more financial incentive.

All that said, the Club need to be regularly in Europe. We just need to make sure if we do that, we don't let it dictate transfer policy as I think we did under Koeman.

Would be nice to skip but it's a foot in the door on the path to CL.
More Everton.
More exposure for the club.
Helps show the need for a larger, quality squad.
May help us attract or even keep players that want European football.
Our fans love leaving their families to go on their jollies around random Eastern European locations.
Winning it gives a CL place.

I would much rather they make winning the FA cup mean entry into the champions league and winning the Carabao entry into the Europa! I think Europe has diminished our domestic competitions and I'd love them to be as valued and exciting as they once were.

These days you have managers like Klopp playing the kids (as we all remember!) so even if you win it, people will sneer that no one was actually taking it seriously anyway!

FA cup used to be massive. These days I barely even notice it all happening!

European competition of any sort is important. There are some very big names in the Europa league. Then you look at Rangers who Everton beat 8 days a week who should easily go through to the next round against Antwerp. Plus you've got the bonus of a CL spot for the winner.

Spurs
Dynamo Kiev
Utd
Roma
Ajax
Milan
Arsenal
Benfica
Napoli

All big teams. Plus the players want to play in Europe as well. Having European competition generally means shopping on a higher shelf in the transfer market.

I would much rather they make winning the FA cup mean entry into the champions league and winning the Carabao entry into the Europa! I think Europe has diminished our domestic competitions and I'd love them to be as valued and exciting as they once were.

These days you have managers like Klopp playing the kids (as we all remember!) so even if you win it, people will sneer that no one was actually taking it seriously anyway!

FA cup used to be massive. These days I barely even notice it all happening!
I love the FA Cup but its been devalued since Utd opted to go and get spanked in the World Club Cup instead of participating.

It’s a very prestigious competition to win. Every club that wins it celebrates doing so with gusto, and that includes the likes of Liverpool and Manchester United.

Problems can arise when you don’t win it, but your participation in the competition has an adverse impact on your performance in the Premier League.

If Everton were in the Europa League - I'd rather Everton put a stronger team out in the FA Cup, and even the League Cup. It's embarrassing we've never won that domestic cup, and we're so desperate to win anything, something - I'd fancy our chances more for the League Cup over Europa League.

They've progressively made the Europa League less and less attractive. It needed to be standalone, with less football and more financial incentive.

All that said, the Club need to be regularly in Europe. We just need to make sure if we do that, we don't let it dictate transfer policy as I think we did under Koeman.

Seems to have increased the financial reward for participating recently. I’d back is under Ancelotti to get out of the group. We need to be at a point where we are having knockout European ties every season. Fully agree though that the domestic cups need to be prioritised to end the trophy drought.

Status
Not open for further replies.