New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if some people genuinely think that if a manager just is more ‘progressive’ and tells his players to ‘give it a go’ and ‘attack’ more, that all of a sudden the law of physics go out the window and we’ll just be sweeping aside all before us despite having one of the slowest weakest squads in the league with some really poor technique.

There’s probably a reason why a lot of managers play horrible football when they get to Everton and that’s because we don’t give them the tools to do anything else. ‘Here’s a lord of midfielders who can’t run pass tackle or shoot, please can we have top 4 though?’ What do we actually expect these managers to do? Set up expansive and open with Michael Keane at the back who struggles with things like running and passing? Play a high pressing game with midfielders like Siggurdson and Davies? Have thrusting wing backs when our right back can’t cross a ball?

It doesn’t matter who the manager is, that’s rot of football isn’t happening successfully until the players change. We might get a Martinez or Potter who will do it anyway and plough us into the bottom half with it but that’s no good to us either.
I do not know what law you are talking about, but in general, oxygen uptake and other relevant parameters are trainable. It is also quite possible to train on different press patterns, and eventually become very good at it.

We who argue for a more attractive type of football have no illusions about a top four position, but the season will be far more entertaining if we manage an 8 place while we actually try to play football.

We also believe that this philosophy will in the long run make us a much better football team, because with this approach we have greater control over the relevant variables.

I would rather take a 12 place with Potter, than a 9 place with Nuno. Both positions are irrelevant, but with Potter I will at least get some entertainment.

No, but I’m sure even you can see the difference between injuries dotted around the team and your entire senior forward line disappearing overnight?

Second thoughts, you probably can’t. Never mind.
So just to clarify; injuries only matter if it’s your front line, and those injuries have got to be over a certain amount of time.

But even so, and either with or without
two important players, you’re still allowed to play boring, Stoke style football.

It’s clear now mate, thanks

So just to clarify; injuries only matter if it’s your front line, and those injuries have got to be over a certain amount of time.

But even so, and either with or without
two important players, you’re still allowed to play boring, Stoke style football.

It’s clear now mate, thanks
It wasn't two important players. It was 5 that either missed the entire season, or huge chunks of it. Jimenez, Johnny, Boly, Neto, Podence (key attackers and defenders). Add to that the sales of Jota and Doherty you're essentially removing 7 of their starting line up from the previous successful seasons. Guess what happens if that happens? Your team isn't as good as it used to be

Carry on though.

1623680029402.png

In nōmine Patris et Nuno Espirito Santo

Did we ever lose both our senior strikers for almost the entire season?

No? Then not quite the same thing

I mean we did have a lot of injuries though, and more than Wolves. I'm not using that as a stick to beat Nuno with it's more to say Ancelotti's flexibility worked very well for us last season.

I mean technically they also only lost 1 striker and sold the other. But it is an important factor to that Wolves team. They just didn't replace Jiminez's goals, and games they would have narrowly won they narrowly lost.

I wonder if some people genuinely think that if a manager just is more ‘progressive’ and tells his players to ‘give it a go’ and ‘attack’ more, that all of a sudden the law of physics go out the window and we’ll just be sweeping aside all before us despite having one of the slowest weakest squads in the league with some really poor technique.

There’s probably a reason why a lot of managers play horrible football when they get to Everton and that’s because we don’t give them the tools to do anything else. ‘Here’s a lord of midfielders who can’t run pass tackle or shoot, please can we have top 4 though?’ What do we actually expect these managers to do? Set up expansive and open with Michael Keane at the back who struggles with things like running and passing? Play a high pressing game with midfielders like Siggurdson and Davies? Have thrusting wing backs when our right back can’t cross a ball?

It doesn’t matter who the manager is, that’s rot of football isn’t happening successfully until the players change. We might get a Martinez or Potter who will do it anyway and plough us into the bottom half with it but that’s no good to us either.

There is an issue of recruitment, but I also think we don't have to have 22 players at top 6 standard to want to break the top 6. If we repeat last season and get 59 points there's every chance we break the top 6.

This is no value judgement either way, but Nuno helped make quite average players quite good. That Coady is quite an average footballer but he can talk and pass and with some organisation he made him look very decent. It sort of fills me with hope that players like Keane, who if given quite a strict system can excel may well do well under Nuno.

I appreciate there is a ceiling playing that way, but I also think it's a ceiling still a fair bit above where we are at. I never felt Ancelotti fully committed to that approach, and ultimately trying to be offensive cost us. I think we finish in the top 6 if he just persevered with the 4 cb's at the back and winning narrowly. We may have even got 3rd. That might sound stupid, and it won't be pretty, but I do think if we get very well organised defensively, and add some legs into the team we could get that high if he were to get off to a flyer.

If he gets stuck and hits a ceiling at that point, then happy days. If we have a 3rd and 4th and maybe an 11th in 3 seasons under him then that will be a big positive.

Silva was £35m because of his potential. Seriously doubt the plan was for him to have to carry the attacking threat for the team having only just turned 18

And in fairness to Nuno he just looked woefully inadequate to me. I know a few Wolves fans were trying to talk him up, but he looked woeful. I know Kean didn't do a lot here 1st season, but he always looked quite dangerous in games, Fabio Silva just looked way off it. I don't think he had played much beyond under 18's football, and it showed. He doesn't look big, quick or strong enough for the league.

It wasn't two important players. It was 5 that either missed the entire season, or huge chunks of it. Jimenez, Johnny, Boly, Neto, Podence (key attackers and defenders). Add to that the sales of Jota and Doherty you're essentially removing 7 of their starting line up from the previous successful seasons. Guess what happens if that happens? Your team isn't as good as it used to be

Carry on though.
Oh good, more.

So to sum this up; he had injuries and couldn’t find solutions. His recruitment, alongside his best bud Jorge Mendes was flawed, because the £35 centre forward was not ready, the £30m fullback was not good enough, the £18 right winger he bought last year wasn’t good enough, neither was the £20m Italian Centre Forward nor the loanee he brought in this January

Seems to have issues finding a striker does Mr Santos

Status
Not open for further replies.