New Everton Stadium Discussion

I had some misgivings about the aesthetics when I first saw the reveal video, but I think my impression was clouded by the slightly lame music and Darren Griffiths doing the voiceover.

Don't think it'll be as good as Spurs' but will still be amazing and everyone will love it.

irrelevant now as we are building on the docks

A rebuild of Goodison was never a feasible option with the disruption and possible legal challenges and delays for kicking people out there homes….not to mention the school abd that’s just for starters.

It's a discussion forum.... if you read back you can see the relevance as a response to some earlier posts made about GP.

With the delays to BMD due to heritage and the planning/transport/financial challenges still to overcome.... and £100m just to get prep site, redevelopment was always feasible. LCC planning dept stated repeatedly that they were very open to footprint expansion options, which they completed very quickly over the park once the decision was made.... so that precedent was set.

Don't confuse political will or motive with feasibility. Gillette and Hicks stated categorically that redevelopment of Anfield was not viable. One change of ownership later and redevelopment became the only viable option. Similar changes of course have happened elsewhere.

In the time since BMD was first mentioned.... Liverpool have built a whole stand and will complete another to take them over 60k with much larger corporate provision.... all for less than £170m. With their mainstand due to fully pay for itself in the next season or so I think.

We don’t own the property behind Bullens Road. The Bullens Road stand is a more complicated structure than the Liverpool main stand and it is integrated with the Gwladys Street Stand.
Most of seats underneath the tier are obstructed views. Liverpool managed to build their stand whilst keeping the stand open because it had no tiers. I doubt we could.
In the end, those stands are knackered. It is not just about expansion. They haven’t really been fit for purpose for a good while.

We only need 16-20 houses (some of which we used to own) to clear enough space to add net 7k on that side. With a new upper tier with large concourses and a slightly enlarged lower tier with new mid level concourse. In otherwords a complete transformation. The mainstand at Anfield was actually 20 yrs older than the Bullens. With its 1970s extension it was more expensive to expand than the Bullens because it needed to build 4-5 floors before even adding any capacity. The upper Bullens and Upper gwladys are separate structures built 13 yrs apart.... but that could be replaced with a cantilered version too. With the task performed without sustained loss of capacity. The Park end could readily accommodate a far larger home end than that proposed at BMD (60 rows), with a simple extension of the existing stand upto 70-80 rows, fitting well within our boundaries.

We only need 16-20 houses (some of which we used to own) to clear enough space to add net 7k on that side. With a new upper tier with large concourses and a slightly enlarged lower tier with new mid level concourse. In otherwords a complete transformation. The mainstand at Anfield was actually 20 yrs older than the Bullens. With its 1970s extension it was more expensive to expand than the Bullens because it needed to build 4-5 floors before even adding any capacity. The upper Bullens and Upper gwladys are separate structures built 13 yrs apart.... but that could be replaced with a cantilered version too. With the task performed without sustained loss of capacity. The Park end could readily accommodate a far larger home end than that proposed at BMD (60 rows), with a simple extension of the existing stand upto 70-80 rows, fitting well within our boundaries.

In reality the whole of GP would need to be demolished and rebuilt not piece meal as you suggest.

Plus the cramped location for access and parking was and is awful, think what the locals feel.

Look what's on the Hydraulic Tower .

E9KH04VVoBU50oy.jpg

It's interesting to read the views and suggested costs re' the redevelopment of Goodison and staying would have certainly been the romantic option. It will be a wrench to leave as I was lucky enough to visit as a kid with my deceased dad before having my own season ticket with my daughter.

That said, if you were starting a football club from scratch on Merseyside I'd want a riverside location, close to the city centre and I'd want a brand new, purpose built stadium. I'm looking forward to taking my grandson to his first game at BMD whilst enjoying our beautiful old stadium before her time comes to an end.

I had some misgivings about the aesthetics when I first saw the reveal video, but I think my impression was clouded by the slightly lame music and Darren Griffiths doing the voiceover.

Don't think it'll be as good as Spurs' but will still be amazing and everyone will love it.
Yes the voice of Darren Griffiths is enough to put anyone off!

In reality the whole of GP would need to be demolished and rebuilt not piece meal as you suggest.

Plus the cramped location for access and parking was and is awful, think what the locals feel.

The roads are equally cramped around several grounds, but the fact remains GP is accessible from all sides and has far more traffic lanes and buses serving it than BMD. That will always be the case. What about the locals in Vauxhall who have never had a football stadium on their doorstep?

For what we're spending at BMD, you could replace all upper tiers getting rid of all obstructions, put on sliding roof and get to 65k+ comfortably and still have a lot of change. Which is why most larger clubs have chosen the pragmatic course.

The roads are equally cramped around several grounds, but the fact remains GP is accessible from all sides and has far more traffic lanes and buses serving it than BMD. That will always be the case. What about the locals in Vauxhall who have never had a football stadium on their doorstep?

For what we're spending at BMD, you could replace all upper tiers getting rid of all obstructions, put on sliding roof and get to 65k+ comfortably and still have a lot of change. Which is why most larger clubs have chosen the pragmatic course.
They’re just about to fill the dock in at Bramley mate, get over it. Anfield is a hodge-podge

They’re just about to fill the dock in at Bramley mate, get over it. Anfield is a hodge-podge

Get over what? I'm as excited as most about a new stadium, but I am allowed to have some reservations.....

It also doesn't mean we have to still peddle mistruths about GP from the Elstone/Wyness eras to justify brushing those reservations under the carpet.

The ground at BMD will provide huge earning opportunities seven days a week in a way that very few other grounds will do.
As I understand it there will be stalls and stands around the site but outside of the ground which I expect will be open for business seven days a week.
The ground at BMD and the docks as a whole will draw huge crowds of locals and tourists to the area.

If , we can also have a winning team by the time the ground is opened the potential is huge.

This ship sailed long long ago. The 80's. 1987/88 we kick off as Champions. The new Gwladys Street roof covers the street end and the (family) Enclosure became seated. Just a small change and Goodison was still okay. Still go to Anfield and sing "sh-ty ground". But the club took their eye off being the best. The 90's. This is when we should have started putting in place the ground work for a complete rebuild of the ground. They half got it right with the Park End which is now the fan park but the stand itself single tier, nothing special. While the RS were turfing two sisters out of Kemlyn Road they knew the score! Force residents out of their homes all around the ground. We didn't. For good or for bad. Only cosmetic changes between then and now.

Redeveloping Goodison, now, no chance. It's not even romantic. It's sentimental suicide. While I still have reservations about BMD it really is the best way forward. As for the pit. Big Stand FC. Hole punch stand. Call it what you will. It's ugly as f.
Arnie said as much to the Predator.

The ground at BMD will provide huge earning opportunities seven days a week in a way that very few other grounds will do.
As I understand it there will be stalls and stands around the site but outside of the ground which I expect will be open for business seven days a week.
The ground at BMD and the docks as a whole will draw huge crowds of locals and tourists to the area.

If , we can also have a winning team by the time the ground is opened the potential is huge.
I always think that's a load of stadia-industry baloney.

The core business of football will provide the vast majority of revenue for Everton. I dont see how we could monetize non-matchday stuff in the way Liverpool could.