New Everton Stadium Discussion

I always think that's a load of stadia-industry baloney.

The core business of football will provide the vast majority of revenue for Everton. I dont see how we could monetize non-matchday stuff in the way Liverpool could.
To some extent I agree, but there are opportunities. The new stadium should allow far more corporate stuff. Conferences etc it depends how much the club have planned for it. It doesn’t have to be rooted in EFC, rather a great waterfront experience that has the history of the club as a backdrop.

I suspect it will be a big part of the plan.

To some extent I agree, but there are opportunities. The new stadium should allow far more corporate stuff. Conferences etc it depends how much the club have planned for it. It doesn’t have to be rooted in EFC, rather a great waterfront experience that has the history of the club as a backdrop.

I suspect it will be a big part of the plan.
It'd be interesting to see how other clubs building new stadia have fared in terms of matchday versus non-matchday revenue.

If you're a Euro elite club I think you can make that pay.

I dont keep abreast of the stadium plans, but I dont think Everton are even looking to maximize space for corporate boxes to exploit matchdays are they?

It'd be interesting to see how other clubs building new stadia have fared in terms of matchday versus non-matchday revenue.

If you're a Euro elite club I think you can make that pay.

I dont keep abreast of the stadium plans, but I dont think Everton are even looking to maximize space for corporate boxes to exploit matchdays are they?
Nothing like to the extent that Chelsea are envisaging when they eventually get around to re-developing Stamford Bridge, where they're going to be looking for something like 20% or more of the proposed 60,000 capacity to corporate/premium priced packages.

but I dont think Everton are even looking to maximize space for corporate boxes to exploit matchdays are they?

I cant recall the exact corporate figures, but they will be significantly better than what the club make from Goodison. But that said, like you, until the whole area is developed, (years), the thought of folk visiting the ground on non match days to generate cash, is limited.

Liverpool added 2 new tiers at the back of their 1906 mainstand for a construction cost of just £74m adding nearly 9000 seats and a whole corporate tier. They are about to do something similar at the Anfield Rd end adding another 7-8000 for less.

This they had to do over 7-8 floors. The much lower raked lower Bullens wouldn't need anything like that volume of construction. Clearing 16-20 houses on Muriel and Diana Streets would probably be enough for right of light requirements.... so I think you can get an awful lot for that.... especially when you're only having build 15-20k new seats to pass BMDs capacity. Cost is precisely why most large clubs have favoured redevelopment were possible.

Dont forget, we're spending £100m just to prep BMD. Liverpool completely transformed their very old stand for less than that!
This would involve removing people from their homes.

It's a no from me.
Thanks anyway

How do you know what this would cost? It would be a very difficult long and expensive task to redevelop Goodison

Because I've looked at multiple comparable projects for over 30yrs and i was also a design engineer for a company that worked on many similar projects. I've also surveyed GP and sightline modelled several possibilities at the site and liaised with city planners going back over 25yrs.

General rule of thumb is that it is almost always cheaper to redevelop a large stadium, because you simply don't have as much to build than if you're starting from scratch.

The basic broad brush maths are that approx 30k seats are recyclable at GP.... and at £4-8k per new seat for redevelopment:

23k new seats gets to BMDs 53k capacity, and would be approx £100-200m.

35k new seats to realise 65k would therefore be approx £150-350m dependent on spec, structural format chosen and various trimmings such as closing roof or corporate boxes or exec tier/lounges, additional land acquisition etc.

Again, generally speaking, if moving comes as part of a larger enabling scheme, that equation will begin to balance the other way. We first looked at BMD with a view to cashing in on the commonwealth games bid and a whole raft of enabling funding. That collapsed when it was brought forward and outside our timeline. It then went quiet for over a year. Now, several years and consultation processes later, we still don't yet know what that means for our financial model ......

So I'm not sure why anyone would consider this the quicker or cheaper task.

Again, you do know we did that first don't you? If they were offered say 50% over the going rate for their houses, those people might not thank you for your sympathy.
Those people who live in the houses are mainly tenants living in rented property so don't really get much say. Most, I suspect, would prefer to keep their homes as they are.
History also shows many things done previously are not always the best idea.

Again, you do know we did that first don't you? If they were offered say 50% over the going rate for their houses, those people might not thank you for your sympathy.
Those houses are worth between 30-70k.

Good luck replacing those.

Not everybody would welcome being forced out of homes they have lived in all their life.