2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We all warned this Mikey. We all said this would happen. Everyone knew it when Moshiri made the ridiculous appointment.

I don't want to criticise other supporters because my opinion is worth no more than their's, but I'm very uncomfortable with the sentiments of a lot of our fans. I just find it hard to be associated with a lot of these views. Now that's maybe my fault as much as anything, but I can barely watch this side anymore because I don't see Everton. It's not my club and I can't support something that I am certain in my own mind is going to fail and cause a lot of embarassment to the club. Every loss under Benitez is just another humiliation and more ammo to throw at us.

I didn't want him mate, I wanted Potter

Still though, now he's here I think we have to be fair and balanced

Yeah, the Benitez fans go way OTT in bigging him up, but then again the Benitez haters go way OTT in knocking him down

I'm sick of every manager thread devolving into Stans Vs Haters

It's happened with every manager since Martinez and it happens from Day One every time

Can we not just have a bit of balance and view the manager fairly?

Right now it's just two wild extremist factions flinging crap at one another whilst a few of us are desperately trying to have some kind of a balanced discussion in the middle with missiles flying over our heads

I agree the third man helped us but at the same time I think Wolves pulled back a bit which helped us get a foothold of the game.

Its still early days and new managers will always make teething problems getting used to a new squad I think its naive from fans to expect him or anyone to get it 100% right from the off.

I still maintain if Godfrey and Holgate had a brain between them that game finishes 1-1 and its not a disaster in the circumstances.

I wouldn't bet my house against Everton winning Spurs on Sunday as its what these gutless players do - be humiliated for 6-7 games then decide to turn up.

Its the same story every season - did it against Chelsea under Dunc when Silva was sacked. Did it against WHU under Unsworth after losing about 8 on the bounce.

Fans are angry but there is no quick fix - give Benitez his 2 year contract, let him gut the squad, hope the finances/wage bill improve by then see where we are at that point - if we've improved give Benitez his 3rd year extension if not shake hands and look elswhere.

One things for sure we aint attracting any decent manager with £1.7m to spend neither are we convincing a project type manager like Potter or Ten Hag to come when we sack manager after manager within 12-18 months. People dont like the truth but that is the harsh truth.

Yes that's all very reasonable. The only contention I would take, is that while it was a mistake that led to the 2nd goal, I do think Wolves would have just kept going forward until they scored it. I think we were unlucky not to get an equaliser, Gordon makes a great header that the keeper makes a brilliant save from.

Our issue is also that not only will Ten Haag not come here, but the owner/board will not know how to find the next good manager. I dont have any faith in that at all.

He is safe now, but you look at our fixture list, and things can turn quickly. I think we need 3 points from the next 2 games. As long as we keep ourselves half way up until the players come back it will be ok. But honestly, if we lose at the weekend, there will be a lot of pressure on.

Potter is a top manager. Exactly what we need - a squad builder who is young and hungry to succeed.

and the argument a manager couldn't implement an attacking style with this squad is nonsense.

Any manager can implement a style of play at whatever level they manage at, with whatever level of player.

Then you get better players to improve on how the team implement said style.

Potter would 100% be the wrong choice here, there is no way our players can play in his image and people wouldn't give him time to turnover the squad to get there

Potter would have gotten WAY more time and patience than Benitez is getting

I don't see how that can even be debated

He was nowhere near to being as divisive an appointment

Yeah, the Benitez fans go way OTT in bigging him up, but then against the Benitez haters go way OTT in knocking him down

It's happened with every manager since Martinez and it happens from Day One every time

Right now it's just two wild extremist factions flinging crap at one another whilst a few of us are desperately trying to have some kind of a balanced discussion in the middle with missiles flying over our heads

I can't support this because I see the outcome as inevitable. I find it baffling how anyone can think this will work, at Everton of all clubs.

I don't want to get into arguments constantly with other supporters, so I have to take a step back from watching this team. When the board decide the give us back something that resembles Everton then I can fully invest again, but at the minute this is more than a chore. It's totally miserable.

I didn't want him here, I am still grumpy he is but given the injuries we have and the basic errors that his defenders keep making can he really be blamed seeing as he hasn't had a chance to sign anyone yet?

If we did get rid, who would we get in and would he do any better?

He would've got more but way more I'm not sure. He was generally a very unpopular manager on this forum last season. Getting towards Eddie Howe levels. He's had a few good results this season so there is good will towards him now. But it's early days this season still

Yeah, the Benitez fans go way OTT in bigging him up, but then again the Benitez haters go way OTT in knocking him down

That sums it up perfectly mate. I’m sick of it to be honest. It’s bordering on ridiculous.

I don't think so mate, 3 defeats on the bounce is what counts. 3 wins and the Benitez haters would still be under the rocks. If this happened to Potter the 'has he done anything other than keep Brighton up' talk would start and he would be in similar trouble.

That's the spirit, death or glory! Viva la Rafalution.

Actually, no, I'd take dull as you like functional Ancelotti / Allardyce-ball and 8th-10th at the minute.
And this is it. While I hated allarcyde-ball and wanted him gone from the club as he, like.benitez, should never have been hired, he got us solid at the back.

Moyes, defensive minded, got us sound defensively, playing for 1 nil wins, then over time, added flair players and attackers.
Allaryce, made us solid defensively and got results. I hate him, but he did.
Ancelotti. Had us playing nice football, injuries came and he focused on the defense. They knew what was expected of them even if results didn't always go our way. But we always still created chances (even with no strikers or a laughable midfield).

Martinez, Silva and koeman never focused on the defence. Martinez inherited moyes defence. Koeman bought 1000 number 10s. And everyone knew Silva couldn't defend before he came.

Right now, we need to stop the rot. We need to stop conceding from set pieces. We need to stop letting players waltz through. But mostly, the defence need to understand what they are doing. They don't. And that's all on the manager trying to force this zonal marking. Get back to basics, make the defence solid and then go from there.

Don't come in, change one of the main things that worked last year, continue doing it despite it failing repeatedly and say it will work in 2 years.

If results go his way, even if it's not the most exciting, he can survive. Moyes managed and at times that football was dire. Taking off strikers for defenders when drawing or losing etc.

Just get the basics right and get some results to settle the fan base. 4 points from 18 is relegation form. Anyone who says it isn't is having a laugh. Especially when we only played 1 of the "big 6" in that.

It's possible to be a decent manager but have a bad day, and I'm hoping that's what happened last night. Any points from the next few games will be a bonus, I'm more interested in the performances.

I can't support this because I see the outcome as inevitable. I find it baffling how anyone can think this will work, at Everton of all clubs.

I don't want to get into arguments constantly with other supporters, so I have to take a step back from watching this team. When the board decide the give us back something that resembles Everton then I can fully invest again, but at the minute this is more than a chore. It's totally miserable.

Can you leave the ball for the rest of us though, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.