2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well yeah obviously I agree with this in principle but do we know he refused to play? Do you have any evidence of this?

Well he didn't play. So he's either refused or he's moaned and not backed down so much he's gave the manager no choice. Let's face it, Godfrey didn't play left back optionally, and Digne would have at least been on the bench.

If it got to that point, it's on the player to apologise and get on with it - he's a paid employee and Benitez is paid to manage his role. Have an opinion, sure, but then get on with it.

I'd like to think one or two have been persuaded back.
Tonight was a good night. There will need to be many more before people change their minds. He has certainly got more breathing space now but that run of games over Christmas and the New Year against weak opposition will be crucial for us, and for him.

His rep spoke to the Athletic and it is almost certain that Benitez punished Digne because of that. It could have cost the team. Just because it didn't in terms of a result, doesn't make it the right call. I am against any manager doing that to make a point. I think it's ridiculous.

Drop Digne to the bench, sound, but leaving him out entirely when he could always make a difference in a must-win game is stupid. It is absolutely stupid mate.

100% the correct call then.

I'm unsure how you can be against it, that's a ridiculous thing to do. He's a paid employee.

Gray played vs brentford. Doucoure been back last 3 games. Richie been back last 6 other than his suspension of 1 game.

Gray came off the bench late in the second half v Brentford. Neither were available or fit to start.

You’re clutching at straws. We’re a better team when our best players are fit and in the starting line up and we have fit options on the bench. That is obvious, how can people be arguing against that?

We were crap until Gomes came on.

Shockingly a change of shape equals us actually looking decent.

Not like people who aren't highly paid footy managers haven't been saying it for weeks.

I don't think we'll get lucky enough to play such an abjectly bad 'top six' team again mind. Arsenal were awful.
I always feel Gomes is better off the bench, when the opposition midfield have slowed down a bit.

His rep spoke to the Athletic and it is almost certain that Benitez punished Digne because of that. It could have cost the team. Just because it didn't in terms of a result, doesn't make it the right call. I am against any manager doing that to make a point. I think it's ridiculous.

Drop Digne to the bench, sound, but leaving him out entirely when he could always make a difference in a must-win game is stupid. It is absolutely stupid mate.
I don't agree here. If (and its a big if) that rumour is true the manager simply has to take action. You cant have players fragrantly talking to outsiders about what is happening within the club.

It was probably a decision made easier due to him being pretty crap this season though.

When you've got no left backs??

Means we have to buy another.

I've had enough of the cowards in the squad running the show by downing tools/not being arsed when they're not mollycoddled. We have dozens of that type.

Admittedly, I didn't pen Digne for one of them, but to be honest maybe I should have because he's been crap for a long time now. I think I was blinded by just how good he was when he arrived.

Gray came off the bench late in the second half v Brentford. Neither were available or fit to start.

You’re clutching at straws. We’re a better team when our best players are fit and in the starting line up and we have fit options on the bench. That is obvious, how can people be arguing against that?
Im not, of course we are better with our first 11. But all everyone's banged on about is how it's vital to have mina and dcl. Well it's not. You can find solutions, which clearly shows its a poor excuse to use for the past few games.

He has finally shown some adaptability and got a reaction from the players which he gets credit for.

But he should have been doing that in previous games as well.

I'm unsure how you can be against it, that's a ridiculous thing to do. He's a paid employee.

Some people actually want to go back to these players calling the shots?

That’s over now. No more phone calls to Marcel to moan about the manager. No more ‘mistakes’ to just do enough to get the manager out. Benitez is in charge now, get in line or get out. It was clear as day that some like Godfrey and Richarlison chose to get in line. Perhaps Digne didn’t.

His rep wasn't the only one...

So again, I can't 100% know for sure other than I know it wasn't just his rep. They had multiple sources and always do for their stories.

One of them has dried up this season because, weirdly, the player in question is suspended (eyes)

I don't like managers cutting their options down to make any point. I didn't like it with Ancelotti, or Moyes, or Koeman etc (look how it went with Barkley). I just think it's mad.

It creates an issue and more unrest. We won today, but if we'd lost it'd have been another stick to beat Benitez with. Whereas if he was benched and left on the bench it's a non-issue, you can put it down to form and I wouldn't argue against that as he has been poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.