2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he showed last night that he’s got a brain as well and won’t just remain raw talent forever.
You look at Barkley for example, he had more raw talent than Gordon but made awful decisions all the time so could never kick on to the next level even though he’d score the odd wonder goal.
Gordon though was really smart last night. Knew when to make a simple pass, when to run at people and take a risk and most importantly for our game plan, he knew when to win us a free kick (without diving!) to take the pressure off and give us 30 seconds to slow down the game.

I was callping for this lad to be played from when he first appeared. Last season I started to think he’d never make it. Not strong enough, no stamina or end product.

Last few games he’s really shown improvement & that performance last night extremely encouraging.

Don’t do it to yourselves, as much as he put in a decent performance last night, he’s been extremely inconsistent. Varying from half decent to anonymous.

We are too quick to put all hope on these young players coming through that as soon as he has a bad game, people will be on him.

Let’s wait till he gets a good run of 15-20 games in the side and he performs well in the majority of them.

We all want him to do well, but I think we need to let the lad do it without too much pressure.

Don’t do it to yourselves, as much as he put in a decent performance last night, he’s been extremely inconsistent. Varying from half decent to anonymous.

We are too quick to put all hope on these young players coming through that as soon as he has a bad game, people will be on him.

Let’s wait till he gets a good run of 15-20 games in the side and he performs well in the majority of them.

We all want him to do well, but I think we need to let the lad do it without too much pressure.
He’s young so he’s bound to be inconsistent. What’s more, he’s currently playing in one of the worst Everton sides in decades, and that takes some doing. The fact he’s showing bits is highly encouraging.

Wrote him off a bit after palace but was good last night. I was very impressed with his first touch in tight positions yesterday, helped us either move from defence to attack or to win fouls to take the pressure off.

Great ball as well, obviously got good technique when striking a dead ball

It’s interesting that he seems to play best against the ‘big’ teams, his best performance before the was probably at Old Trafford. If he can learn how to bully some of the ‘lesser’ teams he’ll see those assist and goals numbers start to add up in no time!

Showing glimpses he can offer something. Miles ahead of our 30 mill quid iwobi already. Has pace and heart. He will get targeted physically. However he has the heart for that fight if he can bulk up a bit for that position. Showed a decent touch last night.

I think he showed last night that he’s got a brain as well and won’t just remain raw talent forever.
You look at Barkley for example, he had more raw talent than Gordon but made awful decisions all the time so could never kick on to the next level even though he’d score the odd wonder goal.
Gordon though was really smart last night. Knew when to make a simple pass, when to run at people and take a risk and most importantly for our game plan, he knew when to win us a free kick (without diving!) to take the pressure off and give us 30 seconds to slow down the game.

Was a very experienced performance for someone his age.

Did the right things when he could, worked hard, then had quality when it needed it.

Young players take time to settle and feel they are premiership standard players.
Anthony has been going through that phase and will for some time to come.
Last night however you could see the belief that he is comfortable at this level and I think it is in part explained by having players around him with far less experience encouraged him to take on additional responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.