Match Thread Everton v Brighton - Preview, Match Report and MotM poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the first time in a while when we've been horrenous ive come out and im not even giving any blame to the players. Supporters were confused about the line up and plan.

The players looked the same, they looked confused as to how to do things. That comes down to the manager for me. Benitez historically cant defend set pieces, we can't expect our team to start doing this.
This is so so true @andy4efc, the entire team selection and game plan was a total disaster from the outset. Almost every poster remarked in concurrence.
To me, and this is no compliment to the coach, it had all the same set up as Walter in his final few months with us. Utterly baffling set up, almost as if hoping it would confuse the opposition, when all it does is create abject disarray to your own team.
All of our players are professionals, many of them internationals, who have been coached for many years and have obvious strengths and weaknesses. Playing them out of position leads to great anxiety and confusion, which in turn raises the spits of the opposition.
Would anybody not react anxiously in such circumstances? Of course they would. Add the fact you are doing badly in front of thousands of spectators is really humiliating, and further lowers confidence. That, plus the added joy of your inferior play being televised live to almost every country in the world. Hey, who wouldn't feel uneasy.
This one began with a right f'up from the coach, and is one only he, and he alone, could change, but, chose not to.
This one starts and stops firmly at his door.

Sadly, when you have bad players in a team, you're pretty much guaranteed to see individual mistakes.

One example I haven't seen mentioned - very late on, Rondon lashed the ball past everyone into the crowd when we had four players around the six yard box waiting for a cross.
Yeah. It was a bit harsh someone holding a gun to his head and forcing him to first sign, then bring on Rondon, wasn't it?

Strange how people gladly make excuses for our consistently underperforming players, but never for the manager.
Nobody makes excuses for the manager?!

£1.7m
Hasn't got his own players
Injuries
Players down tools
Brands
The medical staff
Too many games
Too few games

Nothing but excuses, he's apparently not responsible for one thing at the club.

We played five at the back. Against Brighton and Hove Albion. At home.

Shambolic strategy to go with at "five" at the back, Coleman really shouldn't be starting at right back these days let alone left back,Keane, Godfrey, Holgate in the middle is a total car crash waiting to happen,again we needed three in midfield where we started with two,first goal again from indecision between the defenders and their new roles,less said about the second the better,I thought under this fella we would at least be defensively organised but we are more of a shambles than under Bobby brown shoes.

For the first time in a while when we've been horrenous ive come out and im not even giving any blame to the players. Supporters were confused about the line up and plan.

The players looked the same, they looked confused as to how to do things. That comes down to the manager for me. Benitez historically cant defend set pieces, we can't expect our team to start doing this.
Two and a half weeks he's had to drill them for this game and it looked like he's just dragged them off a random park.

Shambolic strategy to go with at "five" at the back, Coleman really shouldn't be starting at right back these days let alone left back,Keane, Godfrey, Holgate in the middle is a total car crash waiting to happen,again we needed three in midfield where we started with two,first goal again from indecision between the defenders and their new roles,less said about the second the better,I thought under this fella we would at least be defensively organised but we are more of a shambles than under Bobby brown shoes.
The most bewildering decision playing Coleman at left back with digne on the bench

Spot on saying that coming out the ground ,our defence was better under martinez. Shocking

He thinks he’s clever, playing Coleman at Left back? Brighton basically let him have the ball because he hasn’t got a left foot. We could tell after 10 minutes we needed an extra man in midfield. Didn’t make a substitution until we was 3-1 down? Allen should have been off last 15 minutes. Gomes looked sharp and had fresh legs. What does the likes of Dobbin think we he cant get a shirt or 30 minutes off the bench, no wonder he will leave. I don’t fault the effort but the managers tactics were poor today. We created enough chances to win the game but we don’t deserve anything conceding 2 goals like that and 3 from home. This is telling me to give the young lads a go. Gordon and Gray by far the best on the pitch today. Give Godfrey a fullback slot. Get Braithwaite in and we desperately need a centre half a right back and someone who can dictate the game and put a foot on and through a ball in the centre of the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.