Transfer Rumour Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's spot on as opinions go. Admittedly I've only just sat up and taken notice of Longstaff, but that's what his highlight packages tend to suggest.

IMO he could be the Doucoure understudy. We badly missed Doucoure and Benitez must have been rocked by it and vowed to get a stand in during January.

He’s best at 8 mate, with an anchor, he’s been unremarkable in a Newcastle team, with a poor blend in the middle, mostly Shelvey, Hayden or Willock in the combos. In that he’s been often asked to play more of a 6, which to my Mind he’s not. He’s also good in a central 3 with two flanking 8’s of an anchoring 6.

Hes a bit more of an all rounder with a broad skill set - a bit of no 8 bite, but not a sweeper like a 6. He can turn under pressure, be progressive, he has a bit more vision than Doucoure, in the sense he can pick an incisive ball or split a line with his probing as opposed to Doucoures running, power and engine. Both get into box well, can take on shots and provide a supporting presence, or the overload.

The lad has and can have peaks and troughs, he picked up a bad injury after a sublime few months in the role I mention, under our current manager, I’m not sure Bruce liked him all that much, might have something to with the contract of him and his brothers, seemed like a bit of bad blood between the club and family, seemed a bit of split there and didn’t use well in my opinion. I think Howe has said he knows he’s a good player and needs to compete - but think that’s just lip service myself, he knows with his contract situation he’s gonzo. Don’t think Newcastle have or have had the right combo in midfield to play him in his best position, or get the best out of him, central midfield they are pretty bare with a poor mix and the lad is being asked to play 6.

Not saying he’s the second coming, but as I said I’d file under Gray, a player of potential, but a bit lost at the moment. He’d benefit from a supportive environment with a manager who trusts him. I can see why we’re interested, but he would be a project in the same way Gray was to try and tap what’s there.

Just my opinion mind. ;)

Last edited:
He won't be the most exciting signing if he signs.

I am all for us signing him to strengthen our squad, but no more than 2mil. And to sign one midfielder with real quality. That will be ideal.
Currently, our bench, I would say only Gomes and Tom Davies can be impactful and push for the 3rd Midfielder (but that still divides opinion).

Not an exciting rumour.

The two new FBs might transform the way Benitez sets up.

You just cant assume Benitez will stick with the systems he has so far.
They might do accept everything shows that Digne is more aggressive and attacking than Mykolenko. Patterson obviously looks like a bit of an athlete but is very raw. I can't imagine we're suddenly going to turn into a team with flying attacking full-backs. He does seem to like to attack more down the right so Patterson might have that licence and Mykolenko may be the more defensive one.

They might do accept everything shows that Digne is more aggressive and attacking than Mykolenko. Patterson obviously looks like a bit of an athlete but is very raw. I can't imagine we're suddenly going to turn into a team with flying attacking full-backs. He does seem to like to attack more down the right so Patterson might have that licence and Mykolenko may be the more defensive one.
So just to recap: in your opinion nothing will ever change and there is no possibility for the evolution of tactics even with a few signings to the club being added this month.

It's a strange view but one you're entitled to hold.

He’s best at 8 mate, with an anchor, he’s been unremarkable in a Newcastle team, with a poor blend in the middle, mostly Shelvey, Hayden or Willock in the combos. In that he’s been often asked to play more of a 6, which to my Mind he’s not. He’s also good in a central 3 with two flanking 8’s of an anchoring 6.

Hes a bit more of an all rounder with a broad skill set - a bit of no 8 bite, but not a sweeper like a 6. He can turn under pressure, be progressive, he has a bit more vision than Doucoure, in the sense he can pick an incisive ball or split a line with his probing as opposed to Doucoures running, power and engine. Both get into box well, can take on shots and provide a supporting presence, or the overload.

The lad has and can have peaks and troughs, he picked up a bad injury after a sublime few months in the role I mention, under our current manager, I’m not sure Bruce liked him all that much, might have something to with the contract of him and his brothers, seemed like a bit of bad blood between the club and family, seemed a bit of split there and didn’t use well in my opinion. I think Howe has said he knows he’s a good player and needs to compete - but think that’s just lip service myself, he knows with his contract situation he’s gonzo. Don’t think Newcastle have or have had the right combo in midfield to play him in his best position, or get the best out of him, central midfield they are pretty bare with a poor mix and the lad is being asked to play 6.

Not saying he’s the second coming, but as I said I’d file under Gray, a player of potential, but a bit lost at the moment. He’d benefit from a supportive environment with a manager who trusts him. I can see why we’re interested, but he would be a project in the same way Gray was to try and tap what’s there.

Just my opinion mind. ;)
Reading that and @BlueToff s analysis I feel like I'm being described two different players!

He's always played a 4231 or 541 throughout his career both out dated formations that don't suit our players. He isn't going to change after twenty plus years. He's also very negative in everything he does, that isn't changing either.
When Benitez arrived he was getting a lot more early balls into the box and acknowledhged the change up in tactics to 'what Everton fans expect'. Then came the injuries to the attacking spearhead of DCL and Richarlison.

Reading that and @BlueToff s analysis I feel like I'm being described two different players!
How? I've said repeatedly he needs a sitter behind him?

I am staggered how you've come to the conclusion that what me and @Neiler have said is any different.

I've said, numerous times, that he's a player who isn't best at sitting but he isn't creative. So he's a central midfielder. I think him running about with Doucoure running about and Allan running about would lead to lots of gaps. I think if he plays in a two, it'd also leave lots of gaps because again, none of the midfielders we have that are fit and good enough to start regularly are players who are best sitting deep. They all want to, and are at their best, pushing on and being aggressive. Which is fine if you have the right balance but unless we go and sign another player to sit deep it could leave a lot of gaps. I don't see us doing that, so it's why I've said I don't think he solves the issues we have now. We could however bundle through, but one of Allan/Longstaff would have to be coached to be more disciplined, and as @Neiler has pointed out, that's not really Longstaff's game.

So just to recap: in your opinion nothing will ever change and there is no possibility for the evolution of tactics even with a few signings to the club being added this month.

It's a strange view but one you're entitled to hold.
No I think it could change. I just don't think this manager has shown any ability or tendency to do it. When he's convinced something works, he sticks with it. Literally to a fault, as we've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.