Who's next after Benitez - Poll reset 25th Jan

Who's next from this list ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's an article in The Athletic about him today, which is quite interesting. It suggests that he hasn't interviewed very well at places, and has sometimes given off the vibe that he hasn't researched/doesn't know a lot about the team that he's going to be taking over. He also describes himself as an overthinker, and suggests that sometimes he thinks so much about things that he struggles to make a decision. According to the article Lampard didn't reject the Norwich job, he decided to pull out of the running, but it wasn't clear that they were actually going to offer it to him anyway.

It throws up some interesting questions for me. I'm not totally against the idea of him coming in but I don't really see how anybody can be totally behind it and say it's definitely the best option because he just has a very 'meh' CV to date, nothing too concerning but nothing to make you think he's great either. The apparent lack of knowledge and/or preparation that he's supposed to have shown would be a big concern for me in our position, as would him not being decisive. He doesn't fill me with dread as a candidate but he doesn't fill me with confidence either.
If by all accounts he's had 2 interviews the first one must have gone well but you never know with our board, i voted Lampard and i understand we all or a lot of us think relegation is a real possibility this time around and football has moved on for some of them like Benitez but i think we need something new and fresh the other names i just dont get it with them at present, we all know anyone can and will be a risk

Still Dyche for me, experience of working with crap limited players will put a system in that makes us harder to play against, significantly weakens one of our main relegation rivals in the process.

Lampard, Rooney, Kovac were all fantastic players not sure they can always communicate their ideas to players of lesser ability.

Potter doesn't want it, Martinez isn't allowed to talk to us, know nothing about the other guy in the poll.

I made a point before about CVs not being the best barometer for clubs looking at managers now. They're tending to go for an idea, a presence, or some link to the club.

It's why your Gerrard's, Rooney's, Lampards, Ole's, Lage, Viera's, even Bielsa's are all getting good jobs because CV wise...you aren't getting a boost of confidence. There's always something more overriding it.

I think the days of that manager going through the ranks from club to club doing good jobs is gonna get less and less for the big jobs.

Probably apart from Potter. But even then...he could take a big job too soon and kill his career for a few years.
When I say CV i just mean his previous work though, not like an actual CV on a piece of paper. Most of the managers you've named there have good CVs in that sense, they've shown that they have the ability to improve clubs or win things or improve the style of play or whatever it is the individual club may be looking for.

What I'm saying is that I don't think Lampard's CV really shows that. He took a Derby side that had finished 6th the season before to 6th again, and a Chelsea side that had finished 3rd the season before to 4th, before being sacked with them in 9th the season after. There isn't a great body of evidence to show that he is a manager capable of getting more out of a group of players.

There's an article in The Athletic about him today, which is quite interesting. It suggests that he hasn't interviewed very well at places, and has sometimes given off the vibe that he hasn't researched/doesn't know a lot about the team that he's going to be taking over. He also describes himself as an overthinker, and suggests that sometimes he thinks so much about things that he struggles to make a decision. According to the article Lampard didn't reject the Norwich job, he decided to pull out of the running, but it wasn't clear that they were actually going to offer it to him anyway.

It throws up some interesting questions for me. I'm not totally against the idea of him coming in but I don't really see how anybody can be totally behind it and say it's definitely the best option because he just has a very 'meh' CV to date, nothing too concerning but nothing to make you think he's great either. The apparent lack of knowledge and/or preparation that he's supposed to have shown would be a big concern for me in our position, as would him not being decisive. He doesn't fill me with dread as a candidate but he doesn't fill me with confidence either.

Being an overthinker and not doing research seem an unlikely combination. I always saw him as a pretty intelligent lad, so would be surprised if he has a lack of knowledge. Not being decisive I can get. Sometimes the more you think, the harder it is to come to a decision.

If by all accounts he's had 2 interviews the first one must have gone well but you never know with our board, i voted Lampard and i understand we all or a lot of us think relegation is a real possibility this time around and football has moved on for some of them like Benitez but i think we need something new and fresh the other names i just dont get it with them at present, we all know anyone can and will be a risk
The article also makes the interesting point that what classes as an 'interview' in football terms can differ greatly, so the first 'interview' might just be a chat about whether you're interested and on what terms etc.

Still Dyche for me, experience of working with crap limited players will put a system in that makes us harder to play against, significantly weakens one of our main relegation rivals in the process.

Lampard, Rooney, Kovac were all fantastic players not sure they can always communicate their ideas to players of lesser ability.

Potter doesn't want it, Martinez isn't allowed to talk to us, know nothing about the other guy in the poll.
I get what you are saying but Dyche is not exactly progressive so I expect we would be safe but a mid table club going forward. But is that what we are anyway i.e. a mid table club for the foreseeable ?

Being an overthinker and not doing research seem an unlikely combination. I always saw him as a pretty intelligent lad, so would be surprised if he has a lack of knowledge. Not being decisive I can get. Sometimes the more you think, the harder it is to come to a decision.
I wouldn't say that's an unlikely combination at all, they're totally different things.

Firstly we're not talking about general knowledge here we're talking about knowledge of the club he's talking to, so his intelligence level would be irrelevant. We're basically saying that he could be disorganised/underprepared/slightly arrogant or lazy and so isn't au fait with a situation as much as he could be, and also a little bit indecisive. There's absolutely no reason at all why you couldn't be both of those things.

I get what you are saying but Dyche is not exactly progressive so I expect we would be safe but a mid table club going forward. But is that what we are anyway i.e. a mid table club for the foreseeable ?
You know, when Moshiri first came in I wanted us to be dancing around those top four places, properly run, recruiting well and competitive every match.

Since then I've seen clubs from West Ham to Southampton overtake us in how well run they are and how realistic their aims are.

What are we? An absolute circus of a club, I would snatch your hand off for a safe, mid table team for a couple of seasons. Get all those expensive dud contracts off the books, reset and go again.

I wouldn't say that's an unlikely combination at all, they're totally different things.

Firstly we're not talking about general knowledge here we're talking about knowledge of the club he's talking to, so his intelligence level would be irrelevant. We're basically saying that he could be disorganised/underprepared/slightly arrogant or lazy and so isn't au fait with a situation as much as he could be, and also a little bit indecisive. There's absolutely no reason at all why you couldn't be both of those things.
He also seems quite highly strung and over-sensitive to criticism which is perhaps not ideal for an Everton manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.