Confirmed Signing Dele Alli

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the same defence was used … he was better than Gerard and co at the same age. It’s the same comparison being used now to justify signing someone that has done nothing for 2 years and has a very bad attitude apparently .
Barkley was never as good as Dele, and there had always been doubts about Barkley in terms of concentration, decision making and let’s be honest intelligence. Barkley also suffered injuries that came at crucial stages of his development. Alli was at his peak almost flawless, his problems from what we have seen and read all seem to be in his head. Lampard may be able to get him on the right track but for me the club would be blinkered if they didn’t ensure he was working with a therapist, sports psychologist or both. Get his head right and he can recapture the form.

I'm skeptical about this signing. It's quite hard to reverse a fairly dramatic and sustained slump in form. Spurs decided it wasn't going to happen..

A new start under a new manager may provide the impetus he needs. Agreed with posts suggesting he will need as much work with his attitude off the pitch as his application on it.

It depends what we consider a success. Most of our signings these days, we are glad to see the end of their contracts, if we are offering him an extension he is probably doing well enough if Lampard is still here then.

He is in a slump, Spurs don’t seem to have anymore time to waste on him, so we got him cheap. We are desperate for a creative player whether as second striker or ‘drifty sort of AM but not really an AM role’.
Richy can’t do it all. I’m ok to go with a bit part role for him until the new management team have assessed him.
It’s also a big commitment from Dele to leave Spurs and come up north, he must want it. At least he hasn’t done a Delph or Tosun and sat at Spurs doing nothing.
Open minded on him but pleased with the way we seem to have paid for him

Barkley was never as good as Dele, and there had always been doubts about Barkley in terms of concentration, decision making and let’s be honest intelligence. Barkley also suffered injuries that came at crucial stages of his development. Alli was at his peak almost flawless, his problems from what we have seen and read all seem to be in his head. Lampard may be able to get him on the right track but for me the club would be blinkered if they didn’t ensure he was working with a therapist, sports psychologist or both. Get his head right and he can recapture the form.
Well, Barkley was obviously one of the best english talents, and had a fantastic first game against Norwich in Bobbys first match. I think Bobby mismanaged him back then giving him way to much freedom to "express himself". He needed guidance, and has since never found his way and probably never will.
But in terms of raw talent, i think Barkley was just as good as Alli :)

Poch tailorsuited his tactic for Dele Alli, and if Frank are able to do that, we might have a gem at our hands.

Dele under Poch was a fantastic player. Like a lot of Spurs (and England) players, he had quite a serious hangover following the Champions League defeat and the World Cup.

Trippier is a good comparison - had a dreadful season post WC and has been revived abroad.

Dele also only really played under Poch, and clearly struggled to adjust to new leadership. Both Mourinho and Conte are famously abrasive in their styles, neither are especially good with younger players and prefer older experienced players.

I'm resting sceptical about this signing and want us to be a team who offer a home to the younger more dynamic players of Europe rather than washed up top four rejects. Then again the kid is only 25 and, as others have said, his problems seem to be mental rather than technical (Iwobi, I see you).

Got a good feeling.

Have we got any decent squad numbers available for him?

Edit: Nope

He can have number 10 soon.

Actually some movers to happen in shirt numbers this Summer. Kenny leaving free's 2 up for Patterson to switch, Myko can go to 3, Delph's 8 becomes available.
He wore 20 at Spurs, the fact his number hasn’t been announced gives me some hope that Tosun might shove off before the Turkish transfer window shuts.

Have we got any decent squad numbers available for him?

Edit: Nope

He can have number 10 soon.

Actually some movers to happen in shirt numbers this Summer. Kenny leaving free's 2 up for Patterson to switch, Myko can go to 3, Delph's 8 becomes available.

Sure he could have number 10 now couldn’t he, the man who can’t be named hasn’t been registered in the squad?

Max investment in this deal is:
£12.5m if he never plays
£22.5m if he plays 20-40 times over the next 2.5 years
Beyond that we don't know the terms of the deal.

Effectively we've taken over his Spurs contract. And every game/appearance costs £500k on top if certain undisclosed levels are hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.