V.a.r : the myth, the farce and how to save it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d keep goal line technology but VAR needs to go.

Lots of examples of it being dreadful but my main issue is the offsides. There wasn’t a single fan in the country who had a big problem with offside goals. If a player looked around level (no daylight) then people had no issue with a goal being given (for or against). I’d even accept the odd mistake as long as I can celebrate a goal again.

VAR merely throws it over to the select few in the 'var booth' to make a judgement call and tell the ref to review it.
The ref fundamentally has the final say so nothing changes in that respect.

And for what its worth, do you really feel the 'top sides' will suffer because of VAR?
Personally not a chance, any potential dubious call will just been reviewed with the ref having the final say and/or any VAR call that deems the ref missed something will merely lead to the refs going with VAR.

Only have to look at certain incidents during the World Cup - handballs that the ref brushed aside, were suddenly reviewed and given as pens, same with borderline fouls. It doesn't cut out inconsistency, it merely adds another layer of blame and confusion - end of the day its opinion based calls so it down to however runs the VAR and if the ref chooses to go with them.

For what its worth you only have to look at Danny Murphy being part of the 3 man team regarding Niasse - thats not to suggest someone of clear bias would be involved but you get the idea.

Edit - Offside goals and mistaken identity I can agree with because thats cut and dry -which is a reason why goal-line technology works- you are either offside or not, you are either the right player or not. Easy calls, not open to interpretation.
Its always said too many cooks, and VAR is basically that in my eyes, its too many additional voices and creates this false level of having to make a call because someone else deems you've made a mistake.

And thats all VAR is really, someone checking for potential mistakes, ref reviews it, and then we go again. There is always going to be levels of doubt upon reviews because you've been called out -it takes a strong ref to go against VAR- and for what its worth, that never happened during the World Cup when there were clear times calls were simply made off the back of a VAR shout.

Get the basics of football right first - foul throws (biggest joke in football the amount of foul throws, yet in kids football you're told to crack down on it when they start playing offside), '6 second rule', time management, gaining yards, then start implementing VAR - as for all VAR is it won't change the standard of referee; if anything it will just make them lazier.

This was my opinion when the first talks of VAR started
( https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/v-a-r.105450/post-6678797 )

The only thing that's taken me by surprise is the lack of clarity in offside - everything else has gone as expected

The constant fiddling around with the rules every season is not making the game better. We are drifting towards an American model of sports where the rules and stoppages take centre stage (or at least that's my somewhat ignorant view of American sport).

I first went to watch football live in the 80s. It really was a simpler game and while there have been some improvements in terms of attitudes and tolerances the football side of things is heading down the wrong road. Pre-VAR you won some lost some, and most seasons it was balanced out. Now the refs are scared to make a decision, the game is constantly held up and the decisions are baffling, even more so when you consider they have had the benefit of video coverage from every angle.

When it gets to the stage where people are drawing lines on a freezeframe like some virgin with an etch a sketch to try and prove if a toenail is offside you know the powers that be do not understand what football is about.

Sleeve rule change for handball, ffs just wear long sleeves and we'll have 10 minutes delays while a ref in full kit like an even more unlikeable version of John Terry tries to figure out what he should do. Clowns, failed footballer clowns.

How on earth did it take 2 minutes to make a decision on Saturday.

Also why was Stones allowed to hold up play by keeping a stud on the pitch. Its pathetic.

Look at the Video Ref setup in Rugby. It works. The ref asks the questions, the Video ref clarifies if they see an issue and all is heard by all in the stadium and at home. There are no lines drawn onto a pitch its simple interpretation with everyone hearing how the official arrives upon their decision. In my opinion this is the way VAR needs to go.

Why not have explayers doing the var part?
Refs have grudges ,so that argument fails.

Because knowing our luck it would be Danny Murphy or Carragher doing VAR for our matches.

You cant get impartial officiating from anyone unfortunately as football is just so tribal. It starts from the moment you can kick a ball as a kid and follows you into your adult life and your daily work.

To think any of the knobheads who get to referee and dictate decisions aren't biased to certain clubs is naive at best.

Edit : not aiming the naive remark at you either mate ;)

Its funny that the one and only argument and probem we all had against it was it would make football a bit dull and it would take the controversy out.

How wrong were we.

Because knowing our luck it would be Danny Murphy or Carragher doing VAR for our matches.

You cant get impartial officiating from anyone unfortunately as football is just so tribal. It starts from the moment you can kick a ball as a kid and follows you into your adult life and your daily work.

To think any of the knobheads who get to referee and dictate decisions aren't biased to certain clubs is naive at best.

Edit : not aiming the naive remark at you either mate ;)
Let's get non uk refs in then.
Can be done remotely.
Although guaranteed this fella will overlord it.
55316726.jpg.jpg

I actually prefer the challenge system like cricket and the NFL. The manager has one challenge a half. If you are correct then you keep your challenge.

Where it's entirely in the hands of the officials, then things can be missed or ignored. If a manager challenges a decision, then it's reviewed in full, no questions. If you waste a review on something stupid, then tough luck

Look at the Video Ref setup in Rugby. It works. The ref asks the questions, the Video ref clarifies if they see an issue and all is heard by all in the stadium and at home. There are no lines drawn onto a pitch its simple interpretation with everyone hearing how the official arrives upon their decision. In my opinion this is the way VAR needs to go.

Because there is a lot more money in Football than Rugby, that is why lines will always be drawn because, if the officials get it wrong, so much more is at stake. In rugby there are still decisions made by the video referee that are disputed. It is better but it is also not without faults. There is no perfect system and errors will always be made, different interpretations will always exist. I agree that the rule changes so often do not help. With offside we have had "daylight between the attacker and last defender", thin lines drawn, now thick lines drawn. It is always going to upset one side because the attacker will either be onside by a matter of inches or offside by a matter of inches. The subjective calls are the consistent inconsistency because it comes down to interpretation.

Let's get non uk refs in then.
Can be done remotely.
Although guaranteed this fella will overlord it.
View attachment 157524

Yep they'd get rid of Riley and put that bellend in charge for sure lol

I've always thought the best referees would be mums who hate football. The amount of times my mum would say something like "why hasn't he been booked for swearing at the ref" or "what's the crowd kicking off for, that's a good tackle". She always just says it as she see's it, no bias, no crap, straight talking ref mum

even at the start of the season they said benefit of the doubt would be given to attacking players on extremely marginal offside calls yet yesterday lukakus pubes were offside and they ruled the goal out.

Status
Not open for further replies.