V.a.r : the myth, the farce and how to save it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

f.t.r.s

Player Valuation: £35m
First off if this needs moving then apologies everybody...

V.a.r was supposed to be the saviour of football...
A system brought in to wipe out the idea of bias and corruption amongst referees,
A system that would rule out human error by filling in the gaps missed during real time play...

However, all we've seen so far is a farcical system employed to further the idea that referees are all powerful and incapable of mistakes,
Every club has had it's issues with v.a.r but I can't help thinking through my blue tinted specs that we've had some of the worst decisions..

It won't happen but these are some of the things I'd like to be brought in in order to get some consistency and level the playing field so to speak....

Referee's need to be held accountable if they want the respect they campaign for...
They're all mic'd up so we should be able to hear the conversations and reasoning behind decisions...

If players continue to swear, shove, encroach and otherwise attempt to influence the referee then they should be given yellow cards, only the respective captains should be allowed to speak to the ref....

V.a.r itself needs to be simplified and enforced properly, the original wording was v.a.r would only interfere in the event of a clear and obvious error,
If you're drawing lines to show why a player is mm's offside then in my book it's not a clear and obvious error....

Also, the person on charge of the v.a.r should not be making decisions...
If the v.a.r spots an error they should be telling the on pitch ref to consult the pitch side monitor, that way they can make an informed decision with the benefit of evidence they may have missed in real time...

There's probably plenty more I could say but I've had 4 hours sleep after putting up with all the drunk kopites working as a taxi driver haha

Tldr, v.a.r can be good if it's done properly

It would be so, SO simple to just allow the fans to listen to the VAR conversations in real time (have this streamed in an app, for example, so it's there's no need to broadcast it over the stadium speakers) and/or have the match referee need to see the monitor for all potential red card and penalty decisions. The weekend was a huge farce and highlighted why it allows the games to be decided be crooked officials.

Referee's need to be held accountable if they want the respect they campaign for. They're all mic'd up so we should be able to hear the conversations and reasoning behind decisions...

We do get the explanations and reasoning behind decisions post match, but some will always disagree with them. This is normal. Some decisions like offside are black and white, you are either offside or onside. But most are subjective and open to interpretation, like "was it handball?", "was it dangerous play?", "was it intentional?" etcetera.

"If players continue to swear, shove, encroach and otherwise attempt to influence the referee then they should be given yellow cards, only the respective captains should be allowed to speak to the ref..."

This makes too much sense. I think that the broadcasters enjoy the big drama this causes when all the players surround the referee. A nice orderly game is less of a spectacle. Also, the PL referees seem more reluctant to show yellow cards than referees in other leagues. In the Porto v Sporting game recently, there were about 9 cards shown for dissent.

"If you're drawing lines to show why a player is mm's offside then in my book it's not a clear and obvious error...."

With offside, it is always going to be tight and a matter of mm's either way. It will always be marginal but with the thicker lines this season, there have been fewer bad calls than last season, I think.

Also, the person on charge of the v.a.r should not be making decisions...If the v.a.r spots an error they should be telling the on pitch ref to consult the pitch side monitor, that way they can make an informed decision with the benefit of evidence they may have missed in real time...

This is what happens, the only time that the person in charge of VAR makes decisions is when it is offside. Every other decision where it is open to interpretation, the on field official is called to the monitor to review the footage.

Just in the last weekend we’ve seen VAR ignore a blatant handball in the penalty area and also give offside for a goal when the striker was half a yard onside.

It is now purely being used to legitimise whatever decision the powers that be would like to make to decide the outcomes of games for their favourite teams.

We do get the explanations and reasoning behind decisions post match, but some will always disagree with them. This is normal. Some decisions like offside are black and white, you are either offside or onside. But most are subjective and open to interpretation, like "was it handball?", "was it dangerous play?", "was it intentional?" etcetera.

This makes too much sense. I think that the broadcasters enjoy the big drama this causes when all the players surround the referee. A nice orderly game is less of a spectacle. Also, the PL referees seem more reluctant to show yellow cards than referees in other leagues. In the Porto v Sporting game recently, there were about 9 cards shown for dissent.

With offside, it is always going to be tight and a matter of mm's either way. It will always be marginal but with the thicker lines this season, there have been fewer bad calls than last season, I think.

This is what happens, the only time that the person in charge of VAR makes decisions is when it is offside. Every other decision where it is open to interpretation, the on field official is called to the monitor to review the footage.
The problem with VAR here is the on pitch officials are overly reliant on it. They'd rather have a chance of review than make an actual wrong call.

Status
Not open for further replies.