2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early days for the lad but as a footballer he's obviously by far the best youngster to break through in recent years.

He's getting none of the "he's only 21" routine the others get, continuing through to when they're 25.

He's a man already and a first name on the sheet, a blessing or a hindrance I'm not sure......he's not afforded the excuses any more like the others got as he's that good and firmly established in a very short time.

Again not the finished article and his set pieces are there for all to see, but his character and that ability to put 2 metres over opponents in the middle is a rare thing to see in the game now and usually reserved for the De Bruynes of the game. My bet is he'll be our most valuable player in 6 months money wise and bigger teams will be after him. Just hope he wants to stick to his roots for a while longer.

Last edited:
We’ve seen earlier in the season, particularly his free kick for Branthwaite’s goal against Chelsea , that he can deliver but frustratingly he’s so inconsistent with free kicks and corners. Those right side corners which go out of play and back in are an example. But we know he can strike the ball well , maybe it’s extra practice he needs and at 21 he’s got time to improve.
He was taking great set pieces earlier in the season.

He seems like a player that will be constantly trying to improve, I've no doubts he’ll be working with Lampard and the coaches on his set pieces.

He does have it in him, just an off day hopefully

This is what you said about DCL in November 2021 ...."I dont think anybody would pay 100m for Son mate. City offered 80m for Kane and walked away. If DCL goes, he will go for around 80m, which will be a lot more than Kane does. I'd have him over Kane now to be honest"

"I'd have him over Kane now to be honest " . I'm not sure that your judgement on players is that impressive amigo.

Gordon is a hardworking young player with some excellent attributes - good first touch , excellent pace , good attitude. When he learns to finish and pick the right option for a final ball he will be a very good player.

He is not ( yet ) one of the leading young players in Europe as you suggest. Another case of DCLitis ?

I dont think he's far wrong...

With DCL if he had remained fit and had another 15-20 goal season while gaining more England caps his value wouldnt be far off £80mil. Hes a marketing dream and teams like United love that in players. Just look at the fees paid by them for Sancho and Arsenal with Pepe around that amount. Newcastle would have spent £80mil i think but for his injuries.

Regarding Gordon and comparable players u21:

Left you have Vinicius, Fati, Martinelli and perhaod Szoboszlai.

Right its Rodrygo, Hudson-Odoi, Elliott, Doku and Pino.

Where would you rank him amongst those + you as well @catcherintherye

This is what you said about DCL in November 2021 ...."I dont think anybody would pay 100m for Son mate. City offered 80m for Kane and walked away. If DCL goes, he will go for around 80m, which will be a lot more than Kane does. I'd have him over Kane now to be honest"

"I'd have him over Kane now to be honest " . I'm not sure that your judgement on players is that impressive amigo.

Gordon is a hardworking young player with some excellent attributes - good first touch , excellent pace , good attitude. When he learns to finish and pick the right option for a final ball he will be a very good player.

He is not ( yet ) one of the leading young players in Europe as you suggest. Another case of DCLitis ?

Well let's break things down. Nobody is offering 100m for Son. Nobody is offering 100m for Kane. Last summer there was interest in DCL at or about the 75m mark. Hes had an injury ravaged season and looks way off. You obviously cant attest for players getting injured.

As a number 9, when we were bang at it under Ancelotti, I'd have had him for the system we played. I'd have Kane over him as a player, and still would, but at that time, when he was bang in form, under the system we played, as the number 9, I'd have had DCL. I'd have happily had Kane as a 10 playing with him.

We have fallen off a cliff since them. I doubt anybody predicted that.

I'd agree with your assessment of Gordon, hes not the finished product, but very few are at 20/21. There are not many players, in his position his age or younger who I'd rather have. That's the reality.

As for my DCLitis. I said from pretty much moment 1 he would be a very good player for us. He has proven to be that over the course of his career thus far. Lots disagreed, but his performances have proven me correct. I hope he can get over his injuries and show that form again. I really dont have anything to hide in DCL, on saying from very early on he would be a good player for us.

Well let's break things down. Nobody is offering 100m for Son. Nobody is offering 100m for Kane. Last summer there was interest in DCL at or about the 75m mark. Hes had an injury ravaged season and looks way off. You obviously cant attest for players getting injured.

As a number 9, when we were bang at it under Ancelotti, I'd have had him for the system we played. I'd have Kane over him as a player, and still would, but at that time, when he was bang in form, under the system we played, as the number 9, I'd have had DCL. I'd have happily had Kane as a 10 playing with him.

We have fallen off a cliff since them. I doubt anybody predicted that.

I'd agree with your assessment of Gordon, hes not the finished product, but very few are at 20/21. There are not many players, in his position his age or younger who I'd rather have. That's the reality.

As for my DCLitis. I said from pretty much moment 1 he would be a very good player for us. He has proven to be that over the course of his career thus far. Lots disagreed, but his performances have proven me correct. I hope he can get over his injuries and show that form again. I really dont have anything to hide in DCL, on saying from very early on he would be a good player for us.
We clearly have very different assessments of DCL.

He had a golden period under Carlo when he was getting on the end of things in the box .

When fit , when he could be arsed he was a good athletic physical centre forward.

However he has never been a technical player . Never been able to beat a man. Never been good one on one and has a feeble shot.

To compare him with Kane ( as you did and to actually suggest that he's a better player ) is ludicrous. Kane has a wonderful first touch , has game intelligence, is able to play as a false 9 if needed , has great vision , a wonderful shot and is a superb finisher.

BTW it was widely reported that City were prepared to pay £120 m for Kane but Levy paid his usual hard ball.

Anyway we are never going to agree on the comparison of the 2 players so I will leave it there.

Early days for the lad but as a footballer he's obviously by far the best youngster to break through in recent years.

He's getting none of the "he's only 21" routine the others get, continuing through to when they're 25.

He's a man already and a first name on the sheet, a blessing or a hindrance I'm not sure......he's not afforded the excuses any more like the others got as he's that good and firmly established in a very short time.

Again not the finished article and his set pieces are there for all to see, but his character and that ability to put 2 metres over opponents in the middle is a rare thing to see in the game now and usually reserved for the De Bruynes of the game. My bet is he'll be our most valuable player in 6 months money wise and bigger teams will be after him. Just hope he wants to stick to his roots for a while longer.
Agree with all of that. He always looked like a very talented player to me yet plenty wrote him off. There is a lesson somewhere about showing a little patience with youngsters.

Anyway, he has been a real bright spark in a dark season.

No he didn’t!
Get over it he’s gone - and good riddance to bad rubbish, it’s down to him we are in the mess we are in and you’re still bleating on about it!

Short memories some of our fans have. He was touted as bargain of the season and worth £40+ million based on his early form.

The thing I like most about him is his confidence, and he seems to have more resilience than some of our young players of years gone by. This season will build his character a lot.

Agreed on this. The progress the lad has made is startling over the last 12 months.

Of course there are things he needs to get better at, but given the huge improvements we've seen so far, it wouldn't be fair to suggest that he can't continue to improve. If we can stay up, he needs to be one of the players we build our team around next season

We clearly have very different assessments of DCL.

He had a golden period under Carlo when he was getting on the end of things in the box .

When fit , when he could be arsed he was a good athletic physical centre forward.

However he has never been a technical player . Never been able to beat a man. Never been good one on one and has a feeble shot.

To compare him with Kane ( as you did and to actually suggest that he's a better player ) is ludicrous. Kane has a wonderful first touch , has game intelligence, is able to play as a false 9 if needed , has great vision , a wonderful shot and is a superb finisher.

BTW it was widely reported that City were prepared to pay £120 m for Kane but Levy paid his usual hard ball.

Anyway we are never going to agree on the comparison of the 2 players so I will leave it there.

City went to 80m down and some add ons and walked away. Nobody is paying more than 80m for Kane.

DCL is limited but effective, but pre injury had led the line well for 2 or 3 years. Hopefully he can get over his injuries and find his form again.

I think we agree on more than you think on DCL. They are stylistically different, and I was really talking about DCL bang in form as a number 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.