2021/22 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
He takes the blame for sticking with a system that didn't work for two extra games without substantial tweaks, yes he does.

Well it did work against United Chelsea Leicester, it was working against Brentford until the referee intervened. We were cagey against Watford admittedly but if any of the forwards had taken a single chance there we win that game as they didn’t have a shot so who would have then said it didn’t work?

So there was only really 45 mins when it absolutely was not the right formation, and then Lampard changed it, but according to you he doesn’t deserve credit for this?

A very negative way of viewing the world.

Because for us progress is going to be about finding players and working out how we want to play. Sometimes you lose matches as that happens.

The point is rebuilding this side is going to require some amount of willingness to ignore results for a year or two. Yes ideally while finishing comfortably midtable.
This isn’t the nfl mate. there is no draft or free agency or salary cap to ‘balance things out’ so that the likes of the Bengals can go from being disasters to going to the super bowl with a few rebuilding seasons.

You take what you have at your disposal and make the best of it.

Well it did work against United Chelsea Leicester, it was working against Brentford until the referee intervened. We were cagey against Watford admittedly but if any of the forwards had taken a single chance there we win that game as they didn’t have a shot so who would have then said it didn’t work?

So there was only really 45 mins when it absolutely was not the right formation, and then Lampard changed it, but according to you he doesn’t deserve credit for this?

A very negative way of viewing the world.
One day we'll have a fan base that understands nuance, that understands winning doesn't mean the tactics shouldn't change. One day.

This isn’t the nfl mate. there is no draft or free agency or salary cap to ‘balance things out’ so that the likes of the Bengals can go from being disasters to going to the super bowl with a few rebuilding seasons.

You take what you have at your disposal and make the best of it.
What the hell are you on about?

I'm talking about not beating Watford because he acted like they were Chelsea.

Not in the post I referenced you werent

But feel free to discuss the part where you said ‘ignore results for a year or two’
Because if you only focus on results you don't get better. I'm not saying get relegated but you can't play like we did the last few months and honestly expect that we won't be going down sometime. We have to turn our focus to getting better.

He come in.

'Everton sit 16th in the Premier League and are just four points above the relegation zone having won one and drawn three of their last 14 matches'

He was naive, idealistic.

He shrugged off/dismissed talk of relegation.

He downplayed it - day one "things haven't gone well, that's why am here but I don't want to talk about what happened before me..."

He wanted to quickly move away from Benitez' grim style.

"enjoy the ball...."

He had us going away from home with a high line and high press and didn't adjust after having our arses handed to us on a plate.

He went to doing nothing but talking about issues/what happened before him. Evasive, damage limitation.

In Lampard's first 10 games - only 1 team picked up less points. In that time we've scored the least amount of goals (level with Brighton)

Thankfully, he 'twigged'. He wasn't stubborn, he become pragmatic and adjusted. He started to talk about the now/immediate.

He started to say the football would come afterwards and he'd openly say players weren't involved as his focus was the group to get us out of this mess. Now was a time to fight, not "enjoy the ball"

The fans - Hans Tours in particular who rallied fans around Goodison was absolutely massive. Those wins vs Chelsea and Man Utd and last min equaliser vs Leicester really saved our bacon.

Loads of 'ifs and buts' in football but we could have been dead and buried.

If we lost to Chelsea, and Burnley beat Watford we'd have been on 29 points and them 37 and I think that psychologically would have killed us. The pressure would have been too much on players and belief in the fan base.

Is Lampard the right manager for Everton?

I've don't know. To me, he's Marco Silva v2. I've no clue.

This season doesn't tell us a lot IMO. Some exceptional circumstances. As much as the fans united, I speculated whether he was right man wrong time in that he wasn't the right pragmatic fix for a relegation scrap. That could be the case.
I don't think Marco Silva woulds have been pragmatic enough to change, the defence was all over the show at one point, granted, injuries etc... but would Silva really? I think at the moment he has shown he is open to change as you mention, that in itself tells me he might, might be more than Silva. But a lot is going to depend on the recruitment, in and out this summer, to see if he can mould us into something better than this season. Progress is required.

I don't think Marco Silva woulds have been pragmatic enough to change, the defence was all over the show at one point, granted, injuries etc... but would Silva really? I think at the moment he has shown he is open to change as you mention, that in itself tells me he might, might be more than Silva. But a lot is going to depend on the recruitment, in and out this summer, to see if he can mould us into something better than this season. Progress is required.
We need to thread the needle though. Silva's main plan when the team had the players to run it was far better than anything we've seen from Lampard.

We need to thread the needle though. Silva's main plan when the team had the players to run it was far better than anything we've seen from Lampard.
You do realize Lampard was handed a squad full of dross and injuries. Not like he has had the chance to bring in players suited to any one strategy. Kept us up now, now he gets a preseason and window to develop the team

So he takes the blame for not making game changing subs but when he does make them he doesn’t get the credit because they were obvious?

Convenient deal that isn’t it
The Gomes selection nearly cost him his job. Even the half-wits of this forum knew before that match that he couldn't make that selection and expect a good outcome. I think Frank gets plenty of credit for rescuing a terrible situation - one he made even worse after his first 10 games here - but there are some glaring mistakes in there too that need to be acknowledged.

Overall, kudos to him. He's likeable and has transformed the atmosphere - not only from Benitez but from where it was the night we lost at Burnley. This summer will make or break him. If he relies on the vast bulk of the current squad next season, he'll be gone by the international break for the World Cup in November. I hope he cuts loose on the squad now and truly renews us.

Status
Not open for further replies.