2021/22 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
He come in.

'Everton sit 16th in the Premier League and are just four points above the relegation zone having won one and drawn three of their last 14 matches'

He was naive, idealistic.

He shrugged off/dismissed talk of relegation.

He downplayed it - day one "things haven't gone well, that's why am here but I don't want to talk about what happened before me..."

He wanted to quickly move away from Benitez' grim style.

"enjoy the ball...."

He had us going away from home with a high line and high press and didn't adjust after having our arses handed to us on a plate.

He went to doing nothing but talking about issues/what happened before him. Evasive, damage limitation.

In Lampard's first 10 games - only 1 team picked up less points. In that time we've scored the least amount of goals (level with Brighton)

Thankfully, he 'twigged'. He wasn't stubborn, he become pragmatic and adjusted. He started to talk about the now/immediate.

He started to say the football would come afterwards and he'd openly say players weren't involved as his focus was the group to get us out of this mess. Now was a time to fight, not "enjoy the ball"

The fans - Hans Tours in particular who rallied fans around Goodison was absolutely massive. Those wins vs Chelsea and Man Utd and last min equaliser vs Leicester really saved our bacon.

Loads of 'ifs and buts' in football but we could have been dead and buried.

If we lost to Chelsea, and Burnley beat Watford we'd have been on 29 points and them 37 and I think that psychologically would have killed us. The pressure would have been too much on players and belief in the fan base.

Is Lampard the right manager for Everton?

I've don't know. To me, he's Marco Silva v2. I've no clue.

This season doesn't tell us a lot IMO. Some exceptional circumstances. As much as the fans united, I speculated whether he was right man wrong time in that he wasn't the right pragmatic fix for a relegation scrap. That could be the case.

Super Franky Lampard. I feel much much more optimistic about next season now and I'm interested to see what he does with the squad as we won't be able to shift as many as some of us would like. Saying that we upgrade the spine and that will make a huge difference.

A beast of a CB and DM will make such a huge difference.

He come in.

'Everton sit 16th in the Premier League and are just four points above the relegation zone having won one and drawn three of their last 14 matches'

He downplayed it - day one "things haven't gone well, that's why am here but I don't want to talk about what happened before me..."

"enjoy the ball...."

He had us going away from home with a high line and high press and didn't adjust after having our arses handed to us on a plate.

He went to doing nothing but talking about issues/what happened before him. Evasive, damage limitation.

In Lampard's first 10 games - only 1 team picked up less points. In that time we've scored the least amount of goals (level with Brighton)

Thankfully, he 'twigged'. He wasn't stubborn, he become pragmatic and adjusted. He started to talk about the now/immediate.

He started to say the football would come afterwards and he'd openly say players weren't involved as his focus was the group to get us out of this mess. Now was a time to fight, not "enjoy the ball"

The fans - Hans Tours in particular who rallied fans around Goodison was absolutely massive. Those wins vs Chelsea and Man Utd and last min equaliser vs Leicester really saved our bacon.

If we lost to Chelsea, and Burnley beat Watford we'd have been on 29 points and them 37 and I think that psychologically would have killed us. The pressure would have been too much on players and belief in the fan base.

This season doesn't tell us a lot IMO. Some exceptional circumstances. As much as the fans united, I speculated whether he was right man wrong time in that he wasn't the right pragmatic fix for a relegation scrap. That could be the case.

Next season will be the acid test as the fans won't be carrying the team as they have done in recent home games.

They'll be expecting the team/manager to be the ones generating the atmosphere so to speak.

The fact that he's been able to reunite the fanbase should give him a bit of breathing room for next season. I remember how bad the derby was as they sung that slob's name.

I've been going 15 years and that was the lowest point of the lot. It was toxic beyond belief and I thought there was no way back for the fans after that. But, the fella has been able to do it, and in some style as well. He's taken to us and gets 'it' without all the fakeness of other managers.

Like many others have said, I wanted it to work for Martinez, Silva, et al but my god do I want Frank to get it right. To get us a League Cup or an FA Cup. The scenes on Thursday would pail in comparison if he could.

But for now, stability and then we can work on progress. Let's hope he's still here to take us to the waterfront.

He come in.

"enjoy the ball...."

Would Marco Silva have changed his way of playing to get results when needed and ignite the fanbase behind him? Or would he have just kept insisting that his way was the best way and doing the same thing every game? Who knows but I think Lampard deserves more credit than he’s perhaps getting.

You don’t get clean sheets against United Chelsea Newcastle Leeds with the defenders at this club if you’re just relying on a bit of direct football and fan power. You don’t beat Leicester away doing that, you don’t put three past Palace just because there’s a few flares going off and it’s Goodison.

Yes the fans have been amazing and I’m sure this helped the players effort and belief but tactically Lampard laid the foundations to win all those games, just as he was responsible for the tactics that saw Spurs batter us. He made the Dele sub v Palace, he switched the formation to a 433, he put out the back 5 against United and Chelsea even though it hadn’t worked before then. Brave calls in big moments.

Would Marco Silva have changed his way of playing to get results when needed and ignite the fanbase behind him? Or would he have just kept insisting that his way was the best way and doing the same thing every game? Who knows but I think Lampard deserves more credit than he’s perhaps getting.

You don’t get clean sheets against United Chelsea Newcastle Leeds with the defenders at this club if you’re just relying on a bit of direct football and fan power. You don’t beat Leicester away doing that, you don’t put three past Palace just because there’s a few flares going off and it’s Goodison.

Yes the fans have been amazing and I’m sure this helped the players effort and belief but tactically Lampard laid the foundations to win all those games, just as he was responsible for the tactics that saw Spurs batter us. He made the Dele sub v Palace, he switched the formation to a 433, he put out the back 5 against United and Chelsea even though it hadn’t worked before then. Brave calls in big moments.

The comparison was my own - that to me - they're both relatively unknown in terms of what they are in management when they started at Everton;

Bit of an accidental credit to Ben Foster too. There was a bit of truth to what he said about our fans, but man, we responded.

Omg this has just reminded me, has anyone checked in on the Watford fans? They were buzzing to lose against Burnley and have their relegation all but rubber stamped a few weeks back.

He come in.

"enjoy the ball...."

I think you're reading far to much into that bit. Most managers would want to come in and give the place a lift. The club was on its knees not only on the playing side but the toxic atmosphere created by that dinosaur that left was one of the worst i have seen at this club in all my years. Even worse despair than mike walkers time.
Ive said a few times i dont know if he's right long term. He's made mistakes. He without doubt put to much faith in these players at first and got his fingers burnt doing so. But he changed that to his credit, though i dont think he had much choice.
Im not pro lampard. But given what i think he has to work with..for a start i think possibly the worst midfield in the league. A very fragile back line(2nd palace goal will feature on any comedy xmas football dvd) and a striker who isnt really suited to leading the line but had no other options. What he did get though was fantastic spirit from them as time went on.
To think this fella was going to walk into this sh!t show and get everything right is nieve itself.
Next season will be just as tough.

I don't want to be the guy pouring all the cold water on it but screw it, he shouldn't get credit for doing something at 2-0 down in a must win game that was an obvious change 3 games ago.

I don't want to be the guy pouring all the cold water on it but screw it, he shouldn't get credit for doing something at 2-0 down in a must win game that was an obvious change 3 games ago.

So he takes the blame for not making game changing subs but when he does make them he doesn’t get the credit because they were obvious?

Convenient deal that isn’t it

Status
Not open for further replies.