Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest benefit to signing Tarkowski is he pretty much ticks every box needed for a partnership with Godfrey, which is likely the long term option at CB for the foreseeable future.

Whether it's in a 2 or 3 he brings;

Experience
Leadership
Dominant in the air
Strong Mentality

The only missing part is we don't know how good he is at passing out from the back in a system that doesn't just want to get it forward in under 5 passes.

Even just adding a couple of good quality midfielders who want the ball would make a huge difference to how capable we are of actually building up an attack.
I very much doubt Godfrey wil ever become a first choice CB for us.
Despite expectations he’s turned out to be just not that good.

Reassuring that the club had identified him as a target and that we’ve “bagged our man “ so often we’ve failed to do business early. Next some midfielders.

That covid did him no favours. To date hasn't recaptured the standards before the illness. Not writing him off just yet though. Far from it.
Which is fair but the deficiencies in his game had become apparent prior to contracting Covid.
Holgate by contrast has progressed well recently and appears to be one of Lampards first choice CB’s.

Scrub your mouth out with lava and barbed wire please :yellow:
Our fans seemed to have a need to delude themselves about how crucial he was during the season but he repeatedly let us down through being injury prone and I suspect a lack of heart where he made out his injuries were worse at various points in the season.

On his day he's a decent centre half but no where near as good as some make him out.

There have been numerous occasions where he's been exposed too.

Which is fair but the deficiencies in his game had become apparent prior to contracting Covid.
Holgate by contrast has progressed well recently and appears to be one of Lampards first choice CB’s.
I thought Holgate took his opportunity in the first eleven very well. His trajectory was upwards and I like him. But like Godfrey he had a mistake or two in him which hopefully will be ironed out come next season. Two young, capable and eager defenders ain't gonna does us any harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.