New Everton Stadium Discussion

BramleyMoore1.JPG

I found this image which is a section through the Stadium when the capacity was 60k+ (RED) and the current capacity (BLACK).

The roof is now even lower at 45m due to complaints from UNESCO at planning stage.

How is it not iconic? What other stadium looks like Bramley Moore?

Granted it's not the 'Birds Nest' in Beijing but it's still a fantastic looking stadium.

Ignoring the inside, which is difficult to make iconic given it comprises a pitch and some seating like every other stadium in the world, what would you class as iconic?

Some fans will never be happy and moan about anything.It looks decent from the outside in a nice location.

We are not Bayern Munich or Real Madrid.

Be happy that it's new and bigger than Goodison.

Agree with this.

It’s an iconic location, with a decent stadium on it.

Features like the tower, the dock wall, the cladding, the riverside location will separate it from the other modern grounds

The locations IS the iconic part, thats the whole point of it…how is that missed by so many.

A city centre, waterside modern elite sports arena…its unheard of!!!

We're all entitled to our opinion. The location IS part of being "Iconic". But that isn't the stadium. So it isn't the iconic part at all.

What I found was whilst I was initially underwhelmed with Meis first reveal at St Lukes, there were some aspects that I WANTED incorporated in the new stadium, it grew on me. For me it would be iconic if it had a retractable roof. Or looked different to other 'generic grounds' in this country. Which is what I anticipated with it being an American architect. It's kind of lost its awe for me since it has been made smaller for different reasons. Since it has had changes made internally.
The outside might be great. Will have to see what the final result is.

Meis's own Miller Park (baseball) or the Lucas Oil Stadium (American football) below both with retractable roof's by the way. Not that my opinion matters one iota but I don't think it's iconic enough.

aff-main.jpg
LucasOilStadium.jpg

We're all entitled to our opinion. The location IS part of being "Iconic". But that isn't the stadium. So it isn't the iconic part at all.

What I found was whilst I was initially underwhelmed with Meis first reveal at St Lukes, there were some aspects that I WANTED incorporated in the new stadium, it grew on me. For me it would be iconic if it had a retractable roof. Or looked different to other 'generic grounds' in this country. Which is what I anticipated with it being an American architect. It's kind of lost its awe for me since it has been made smaller for different reasons. Since it has had changes made internally.

Meis's own Miller Park (baseball) or the Lucas Oil Stadium (American football) below both with retractable roof's by the way. Not that my opinion matters one iota but I don't think it's iconic enough.

View attachment 170482View attachment 170485

That Miller Park thing is the most hideous sight my poor innocent eyes have ever been subjected to.

That Miller Park thing is the most hideous sight my poor innocent eyes have ever been subjected to.
It's a bit of a form and function thing. Miller park is one of the generation of retro stadium designs. The heavily structured closing roof design purposely looks over-engineered, but performs its task of covering a whole baseball park.....

Personally I've always thought that stadia are the one building type that should always be judged far more on their internal arrangements rather than the external elevations. The multi-tiered overlapping stands at Miller Park are very impressive and bring people closer to the action than the old cookie cutter stadia that they replaced.

View attachment 170482View attachment 170485

So are you trying to say that a rectractable roof makes a stadium iconic :confused: It might make it different from other stadiums but certainly not iconic.

I'm not sure how you can compare the design of Bramley Moore with other grounds in the country? It's absolutely nothing like any other. Show me another ground that looks like Bramley Moore? Externally there's nothing like it I've seen before and even internally it will be instantly recognisable with the roof and glazed ends offering views over the City.

From a design perspective it might not be up there with some other stadiums in the world but that's subjective. In my opinion the stadium coupled with the location will make it iconic.

Granted I wish we'd have stuck with the bigger capacity. It was certainly better and more imposing. Hopfully we won't come to regret it!