Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winks and Ali don’t have the mentality that Gray and Reid did. That is as clear as day. They don’t want to be here. We are just the ones stupid enough to give them their next contract

Also about mentality, it's hard to judge someone from 40 years ago before 24/7 goldfish bowl media attention - compared to the pads now who've grown up entirely surrounded by that environment.

For Winks and mainly Dele (as he's here) mentality can change in the right environment and when something clicks, he has snide to his game if Lampard gets him to embrace the responsibility of being a senior player in the team now and he performs and the fans gets behind him, I think he could turn into something very good for us.

Kendall mark 1 knew how to handle players of different personalities to motivate them to play their heart out for the team, that's the onus on Lampard now, can he do similar.

I've never thought he's anything special, and he'd be just another in a long list of midfielders we sign who can't score, tackle or pass, and struggle to compete at this level.

And I can't get that performance he put in against us in the cup out of my head. It was as bad as it gets, like Andre Gomes at Villa Park standards. He only came on late during the second half of normal time but was being outran and out sprinted by players who had played 119 minutes. He was the main reason we won that game in extra time.
He definitely can pass. Like if there's one thing he is, he's a good passer, which is why I could see why Lampard would like that type of profile in midfield.

But yes, he's had some poor performances. I think it's a classic case of a player having been overhyped by the media early on. I would only be happy with this if it's a loan or a relatively low fee. I do think he'd help us play the way that Lampard wants, however.

The fact that we are wanting Winks on loan speaks volumes, we are not going to be spending any money until this takeover is resolved, as Moshiri will want as much money in the club as he can get.

If this takeover is a long drawn out process this could come back to hurt us big time.

This summer we have to get the transfers correct, as this squad/team is relegation fodder at present and losing Richarlison is going to add to this 10 fold

We can set the team up to exploit his strengths but then, if/ when he's out.... we found it really difficult because his skillset is so specific.
I wouldnt say its specific i would say its limited.

If he is still here next season i hope i get vaulted to death when he's bending 25 yeard goals into the top corner but i very much doubt it.

Reckon it's at least another 9 days before we are able to buy anybody as i think we're waiting for accounts roll over day (1st July?). As for the targets mentioned i.e. winks etc unfortunately because of the absolutely criminal use of funds over the last few years that is the level we're shopping at. For me as long as those brought in are an improvement over what we have then thats all i think we can ask. There may be one or two youth purchases that have potential but given our position last year we need to improve the first team squad in as many areas as possible with the small amount of cash we have available to avoid a repeat of last season.
Everton are hoping to sell someone or a few people before July 1st so make this years accounts look a lot better. Other then Richy no one else is linked to other clubs

Daft comment above, Winks (deep lying Delph replacement) whom I don't believe is first choice to purchase and will be on loan if he doesn't go for other offers on the table, but would be better than Delph, each time Delph played towards the end of last season we were better.

Zinchenko, yes plays left back for City, one of the best teams in the world at the moment, his favored position is where he plays for the Ukraine, would be perfect in a three on the left

We would like to be chasing for Europe this year, but guess what, we cant get the top shelf or even eye level players in because of funds. Winks for a year wouldn't be that bad given that Poch got a decent tune out of him playing in that position
Int football is totally diff to club football, look at England beat every crap team till they face an half decent team then lose.

Your asking a lad to play in CM in the PL who plays LB.. not saying he not a good player I just have reservations over it. Totally different role and responsibilities.

Winks.. got to be better and cheaper out there. Reather buy and up and coming player with pace and power. Deep lying midfielder who can’t tackle.. great stuff

Said in the other thread, if we loaned in Winks, brought in Zinchenko and Gallacher - Delph & VdB (both gone already). Get rid of Gomes and maybe Davies.

Then would the midfield be palpably better with way more genuine options? then yup.

Would people be happy with a midfield choice of Zinchenko, Gallacher, Dacoure, Winks and Allan.

Compared to one of VdB, Gomes, Davies, Delph, Dacoure & Allan.

Don't really like Winks, but if he's part of a larger overhaul of that cm, then I can live with it.
Better technically but non of the can really tackle or have pace or power which u need in the PL. if we play a lot more ball possession then maybe but that midfield not much better for a team having 30% possession

Here's the thing though mate, we look at Reid and Gray now with the benefit of hindsight, both deals where massively controversial at the times, Reid I think was 26, coming from a relegated team and had had two injury plagued seasons, he'd gone from being one of the most rated young players 4-5 seasons earlier to being regarded as another young player which injury would see never reach their potential. It's why Bolton basically sold him fir almost nothing at the time l, he was regarded as bring 'finished' by a lot of people.

Gray was 28, was simply brilliant when he was 19-23 and by the time we signed him was regarded as being almost finished and a huge risk as his knees had gone and with that his scoring had dried up.

Both turned into inspired signings but let's not re-write history, both those transfers if fast forwarded to modern tines would have been absolutely slated to bits on here by almost everyone.

In 20 years time Dele for one could be seen in a similar light if something clicks like it did with both Gray and Reid.
Before my time in fairness but I have seen plenty of Reid and Gray in interviews and their strength of character/personality comes to the fore. Try watching the Amazon Spurs documentary and Ali and Winks come across terribly

Think is a lot of the best forwards are one dimensional, Lineker was for sure, Vardy is to a great degree, Andy Gray was, Inzaghi was, can go on and on listing others.
To be honest, I don't mind that he's one dimentional, I just think he's a bit old school centre forward and it's hard to build a team around that now.
Building a team around him might be foolish, we'd almost need two Dom's in the squad. We brought in Rondon as cover for him and that doesn't cut it.

We would also need to change our personnel elsewhere in the team. Our wide players like to cut inside and our full backs are not the best crossers of the ball.

When we took James and Digne out of it, the crosses from left and right dried up.

Status
Not open for further replies.