2021/22 Richarlison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im certainly not arguing we wouldn't be in a better place had we spent money better - but its chicken and egg with FFP.

Without increased revenues you can't build a period of title challenges/top 4 finishes.

But without title challenges and regular top 4 finishes you cant see increased revenues to be competing with the likes of Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal etc.

That conundrum is exactly why FFP was implemented and why you see the likes of Liverpool, Real Madrid, Man City, Chelsea etc in the CL semi's/finals every year - its nothing to do with shrewd recruitment or buying good young players from the championship.

Our best hope is to do a Leicester style fluke and whats the realistic odds of that?
European football, even Europa increases your revenue, ticket sales, increased sponsorship, prize money, it all goes into the pot.

The stadium would have been the bump we needed to maybe break the ceiling and crack the top 4, maybe.

We will never know, cos we didnt spend money, we set it on fire.

Roughly 100m alone spent on Agent fees and sacking managers.

FFP isnt to blame for us being rubbish, we are.

European football, even Europa increases your revenue, ticket sales, increased sponsorship, prize money, it all goes into the pot.

The stadium would have been the bump we needed to maybe break the ceiling and crack the top 4, maybe.

We will never know, cos we didnt spend money, we set it on fire.

Roughly 100m alone spent on Agent fees and sacking managers.

FFP isnt to blame for us being rubbish, we are.

Droplet in the ocean to the established CL clubs mate.

To even get Europa these days you need to finish above 2 of the scab 6 who can sign £60-70 million players at the drop of a hat.

I said it towards the end of last season - the PL is the opium of the masses, clubs fanbases like ours, Villa, Wolves, WHU etc can spend £30 million on one highly rated player on 90k a week and a former top star in the twilight of his career like a James or Coutinho on 150k wages and we think we're competing, winning the transfer window, be darkhorses for 4th etc etc and it always ends the same.

At some point you have to acknowledge why that is! I know its difficult to accept as it takes away the hope that we all love as footie fans but sometimes its that misplaced hope that see's us put unrealistic expectations on ownership, management, the players etc. The cartel is firmly established sadly.

To even get Europa these days you need to finish above 2 of the scab 6 who can sign £60-70 million players at the drop of a hat.

I said it towards the end of last season - the PL is the opium of the masses, clubs fanbases like ours, Villa, Wolves, WHU etc can spend £30 million on one highly rated player on 90k a week and a former top star in the twilight of his career like a James or Coutinho on 150k wages and we think we're competing, winning the transfer window, be darkhorses for 4th etc etc and it always ends the same.

At some point you have to acknowledge why that is! I know its difficult to accept as it takes away the hope that we all love as footie fans but sometimes its that misplaced hope that see's us put unrealistic expectations on ownership, management, the players etc. The cartel is firmly established sadly.

….it’s as much about appointing the right Manager/DoF combination as it is about money. The Reds struggled for years until Klopp, United and Arsenal haven’t been the same since SAF & Wenger. City, with their great wealth needed Guardiolato to get real success.

We’ve wasted a real opportunity under Moshiri because of his own failings in running a football club and his poor appointments. Leicester got it right for one season, an outstanding manager/DoF who build the right squad have a chance, the greatest challenge is finding them.

That's far from guaranteed. He's not starting over Son and Kane (can everyone please agree on that?) which leaves Kulusevski. To start Kulusevski has the upper hand being a true RW. He's also got to be better though and Kulusevski was damn good after joining last year.

I would say he starts over Kulasevski, who could also play deeper.

Im certainly not arguing we wouldn't be in a better place had we spent money better - but its chicken and egg with FFP.

Without increased revenues you can't build a period of title challenges/top 4 finishes.

But without title challenges and regular top 4 finishes you cant see increased revenues to be competing with the likes of Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal etc.

That conundrum is exactly why FFP was implemented and why you see the likes of Liverpool, Real Madrid, Man City, Chelsea etc in the CL semi's/finals every year - its nothing to do with shrewd recruitment or buying good young players from the championship.

Our best hope is to do a Leicester style fluke of 1 brilliant season before the inevitable fall back into midtable and whats the realistic odds of that?
FFP and it’s various offshoots are simply an example of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.
They are a failing attempt to correct the imbalances predicted at the time of the Bosman ruling.
As more money has flooded into football it has flowed directly into players pockets creating now ridiculously obscene weekly pay packets.
Increasing available substitutions has exacerbated the inequalities still further.
Realistically the only solution that would offer any antidote to these problems is studiously avoided because of self interest.
A return to strict salary caps for players is the only solution that will offer any form of redress.
Until that nettle is grasped the problems will only intensify.

Because Spurs wouldn’t be anywhere near this deal if it wasn’t for the fact that due to profit and sustainability we are in deep trouble, so have to sell.

Spurs know we need to sell. If a buyer knows you are in a difficult position financially you won’t get full market rate. Richarlison is essentially a distressed asset. If you don’t think our current position in terms of profit and sustainability will result in spurs getting him for less than he would otherwise go for, I give up.

And if that is correct, who fault is it that we are in this mess? When he took over we were in a position were we could spend and had Lukaku, Stones and Barkley on the books.

Stadium aside, Moshiri had been a complete and utter disaster for this club.
I don't disagree with that. But we aren't 'selling Richarlison below his market value' IMO. Reports are we want £60m to come to the table. I'd say that's about his market value...

Im not saying we should be where Liverpool or City are mate, but we should be at least where Leicester are or at the very least where Pre-Moshiri Everton were at the very least.

Moyes Everton are a prime example of what you can do if the recruitment is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.