Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
No? You want to read what I said again?

I'm not really sure that's relevant? Are tidy ball players useful? Yes, of course. Do I think either that Spain team or any of Pep's teams have been built to accommodate one tidy ball player? Absolutely not.

You said games and success were built around a match winner, but the sum of tidy ball players implementing a philosophey of tiki-taka has proven to be successful, the start of that always happens with one player. Lampard etc has spoken of defending through a pocession based model and creating triangles.

I’m not disagreeing with you in terms of match winners - but let’s just say that is a broad description, someone like Modric (tidy ball player) is a match winner to my mind and done it away from club riches in a Croatia team that wasn’t full of them.

Many ways to play the game and it doesn’t have to be dogmatic or polarised I’m terms of cants and wonts.

Last edited:
When did we become the league’s reserve squad?

These are known entities, not diamonds in the rough. Lukaku was different because he was stuck behind world class strikers.

If we aren’t producing enough talent, we have to be taking chances on scouted players—not this league’s loanees.

Im surprissd posters wouldnt see Gilmour as a 'deep lying roaming playmaker'.

Given license to play and roam between defence and midfield and then sitting as an anchor when we dont have the ball to cut out through balls.

That would allow us to play on the front foot, take pressure off the defence and have a gap between them and the central midfielders.
I’d prefer to see him roaming between the midfield and forwards.

He's lightweight, no-paced and cant pick a forward ball out. He's always looking to work the ball wide.

Norwich fans were in uproar about how outrageously bad he was.

He can definitely pick a forward pass mate, I’ve seen him split a defence. He has a low centre of gravity which means he has agility, mobility and quick motion above the norm and quick feet. he’s not a winger so doesn’t need blistering pace. He has speed of thought.

He’s a wonderful reader of the game, he can turn on the ball and transition any way, he speeds the game up or he can slow it down, he can play in triangles probing, or he can beak a line if its on.

I’ve no concerns about the lads talent, I'm more concerned that our players wouldn’t be up to his level of keeping possession.

If you have him at 6 and he’s pulling strings, you have to commit a player to pressure him from your engine room and that creates gaps.

Last edited:
Would take Gilmour as a squad option for this season but we still need better quality who can make an impact straiggt away

Can we have rule, that if someone says they want or don't want a player they say why? Not just they are rubbish (or what other ways of say that).

Just getting bored of reading don't want him with no real reason.
Yes please.

If I read one more post about how Jesse Lingard is "a good player who would add something to the team" I think I'll nip outside and kick the first little old lady I see.

Nobody is going to build their entire team around a player who has 0 goals and 2 assists in 65 senior appearances. You build teams around matchwinners, not around neat and tidy ball players.
I am not sure if you could be more wrong.

You build from the back , get your goalkeeper and defence sorted.
Then you get a solid midfield that can defend as well as create and lastly you know have the foundations to create chances for your forwards.

So he was poor last season for one of the worst teams in PL history yet in that video he retains possession better than all our centre mids combined last season?
Said it this time last year that we should be after him and think even more now. Its not his problem if we dont have quality around him right now, its Franks job to build it over the coming seasons.
He'd be a great starting point imo.

Oh yeah, absolutely. Same would apply if it's Winks that he gets to play this pivot role though

He wants someone who can play on the half turn, take the ball off the defenders and play through the lines. Gilmour and Winks can both do that, but they're both lightweight and you're going to need to compensate for that with having physical presence in there. Doucoure is the only one who gives you that in the current squad, so you'd want one more - and that explains the links to the likes of Onana, Vranckx and even Gallagher to a degree
If we signed Gilmour it's gonna have to be a three man mid, for that alone I'm in

He can definitely pick a forward pass mate, I’ve seen him split a defence. He has a low centre of gravity which means he has agility, mobility and quick motion above the norm and quick feet. he’s not a winger so doesn’t need blistering pace. He has speed of thought.

He’s a wonderful reader of the game, he can turn on the ball and transition any way, he speeds the game up or he can slow it down, he can play in triangles probing, or he can beak a line if its on.

I’ve no concerns about the lads talent, I'm more concerned that our players wouldn’t be up to his level of keeping possession.

If you have him at 6 and he’s pulling strings, you have to commit a player to pressure him from your engine room and that creates gaps.
He sounds like a real talent the way you describe him...I wonder why Chelsea dont want him, Norwich were unaffected by his genius, and why there isn't a long line of suitors for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.