Confirmed Signing Dwight McNeil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hated the idea of signing him 12 months ago under Benitez as I knew he'd be played on the left hand side of a 442, just swinging crosses in all the time. He isn't lightning quick either, so being on the left he'd be constantly trying to go around full backs. Also the price at the time meant it all felt wrong.

Thing is though, he isn't a bad player at all. He has a great left foot (althoigh he's one of the more one-footed players you'll see), works really hard, seems to press well and can go past people.

Under Lampard I could easily see him being bought to drift in from the right in a 343 or 433 onto his left foot, which negates his slight lack of pace a bit, but also creates room for Patterson to overlap properly. Plus the fee looks about half of what it was 12 months ago.

In short, I thought he'd be all wrong for us a year ago, but I could easily see him working out well now.

Im against signing McNeill myself.

I still think he has tones of work to do to be a top player, only ever done it in flashes and im not overly convinced he has the head room to improve significantly to be a good investment for us. I thought he struggled last year and wondered had he just peaked.

Also seems a bit weird as hes kind of an old school winger to my mind, so if we are playing wing backs i dont think he has the skill set of an inside forward.

I dont see him pushing us on that much. Hopefully I'm wrong if we get him but just an honest opinion.

He's played it before.
Screenshot_20220727-134059_Samsung Internet.jpg
Kind of... Still very much a winger though

Status
Not open for further replies.