• Yes

Votes: 834 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 212 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not comically bad or anything. Just a bit of a deer in the headlights when there's no obvious, easy pass on.

I didn't mind him when he was here - thought he was mostly decent - but he was limited in possession and a bit of a ball-watcher, not to mention more reactive than somebody who always knows where to be. I feel like that's not the sort of player who ages well, nor is it really what you need in front of three centre-backs. It's a recipe for having half the team camped on the edge of their own box.

Hopefully, there'll be no cause to see him and Gomes reunited. I did have high hopes for his partnership with Schneiderlin way back when, but then they got laughed at by Wanyama-Dembele and I gave up on them.
I think that is incredibly harsh on someone who constantly was the hub of the team in midfield. He wasn't Luka Modric or anything but his ability to move the ball forward was very solid and combined with being genuinely 1B to Kante's 1A for ball winning meant he was pretty damn good. Again it got him a move to PSG who don't really have anything but world class or bordering world class players.

There is a blind spot for ball progression around here though, it is why Iwobi hasn't caught on for years tbh. It isn't always pretty when it is effective.

We just don't have to wait that long to do this. We can start right now.

Premier League proven players flop too.

People are bullish on Villa because they've spent real money (poorly imo, I'm personally not bullish) and Palace because they played better than the points total ended up being and they're committed to a philosophy which they've continued with this summer. There is no reason to be bullish on us aside from McNeil being able to really take a leap playing in a different role on a more attacking team (which btw there is not guarantee we will be, but here is hoping).

As I've said I can't complain about the Gueye move for today but down the road we're going to have issues. The squad desperately needs to get younger and the average age of our permanent transfers this summer is not helping that out. We have to stop kicking the can down the road and deal with it.
a-men to that

my undedicated guess is we'll sell another big asset next summer, whether that's Dom, Pickford or even Gordon and then that gives us scope to slowly rebuild. Signings like Gana may give us 2 seasons to find a good prospect abroad or maybe someone like Warrington to step up. Any money we do spend (and i think we'll see one significant signing this window whether thats MGW or Broja) needs to be spot on. We can't afford to spend 20+ million on player for them to flop so every transfer needs to be damn near perfect. No doubt that's why we are looking for premier league proven players.
As terrible as we were last season, we were only 2 wins behind Villa (who everyone raves about) and 3 wins from Mid-table. I believe we won the same number of games as Palace yet the drew 11 games more than us or something insane like that. I'd say Tarks alone should massively improve that side of things so it's not all doom and gloom but the club can't assume last season was a 1 off.
....undedicated guesses can be plagued with insecurity issues...best you dedicate them ASAP

We just don't have to wait that long to do this. We can start right now.

Premier League proven players flop too.

People are bullish on Villa because they've spent real money (poorly imo, I'm personally not bullish) and Palace because they played better than the points total ended up being and they're committed to a philosophy which they've continued with this summer. There is no reason to be bullish on us aside from McNeil being able to really take a leap playing in a different role on a more attacking team (which btw there is not guarantee we will be, but here is hoping).

As I've said I can't complain about the Gueye move for today but down the road we're going to have issues. The squad desperately needs to get younger and the average age of our permanent transfers this summer is not helping that out. We have to stop kicking the can down the road and deal with it.
Steady the ship first Big Fella, then do the corrective work with a workable, and re-producible, system and style, and then we can become more creative.
This interim step has possibilities, and probably the first sensible approach to recruitment I have seen since, erm, when were we taken over.

Was Moshiri sincerely being honest when he wrote that lessons would be learnt? Maybe so. I feel more optimistic anyway.

Just looking at the potential starting eleven now...we have Pickford, Myko, Godfrey, Patterson, Gordon, DCL, McNeil so 7/11 players who could all start for the next 5+ seasons.

Theres no issue having 'experienced' players in the 11 from me...if theyre good enough -- im not sure if Gana is, we'll soon see.

Have to focus on bringing in/ through young players into the squad now.

Steady the ship first Big Fella, then do the corrective work with a workable, and re-producible, system and style, and then we can become more creative.
This interim step has possibilities, and probably the first sensible approach to recruitment I have seen since, erm, when were we taken over.

Was Moshiri sincerely being honest when he wrote that lessons would be learnt? Maybe so. I feel more optimistic anyway.
I personally don't agree that it is sensible to spend a year on a middle step. I don't think it is necessary and it isn't as risk free as everyone makes out.

Just looking at the potential starting eleven now...we have Pickford, Myko, Godfrey, Patterson, Gordon, DCL, McNeil so 7/11 players who could all start for the next 5+ seasons.

Theres no issue having 'experienced' players in the 11 from me...if theyre good enough -- im not sure if Gana is, we'll soon see.

Have to focus on bringing in/ through young players into the squad now.

Dele is only 26

Status
Not open for further replies.