• No

Votes: 212 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allow me.

1659716897163.jpeg

I’m not comparing the subject only the principle, that’s the point, what’s acceptable to one culture is not to another, see the ‘West’s attempt to bring democracy to Afghanistan or Iraq. Western culture isn’t always accepted.
You’re conflating entirely different things.

Homosexuality is natural, normal and hurts no one.

Innocent people are killed for being born gay in the wrong society.

Tolerance should be extended to everyone - unconditionally - except for those that harm others or those that are intolerant themselves.

That is why racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia and anything else that seeks to condemn others for facets of their humanity that they can’t control, needs to be fought.

That’s not a matter of cultural difference or belief system. It’s a matter of basic human decency. If Western Christianity, Eastern Islam or any other religion disagree, they are wrong.

You’re conflating entirely different things.

Homosexuality is natural, normal and hurts no one.

Innocent people are killed for being born gay in the wrong society.

Tolerance should be extended to everyone - unconditionally - except for those that harm others or those that are intolerant themselves.

That is why racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia and anything else that seeks to condemn others for facets of their humanity that they can’t control, needs to be fought.

That’s not a matter of cultural difference or belief system. It’s a matter of basic human decency. If Western Christianity, Eastern Islam or any other religion disagree, they are wrong.
Wrong to you maybe, but not them. Thats the kind of arrogance thats got us mired up in wars we can't win in the Middle East. You can't impose your codes on anyone and have no right to do so. Not everyone likes our liberal and moral standards. Weird maybe but its upto them and perfectly normal.

Wrong to you maybe, but not them. Thats the kind of arrogance thats got us mired up in wars we can't win in the Middle East. You can't impose your codes on anyone and have no right to do so. Not everyone likes our liberal and moral standards. Weird maybe but its upto them and perfectly normal.
Another one bringing up war. Who is talking about imperialism? I’m certainly not.

Soft cultural power, like football, is a great vehicle for spreading the message of tolerance.

Known polygamy - which (IIRC) is illegal - should be legal and actively encouraged. Doesn't harm others.

Do animals have feelings (and so can be harmed)? should eating meat be considered intolerable? Conversely, If that's different because they're animals and so somehow 'don't count' is bestiality ok? That doesn't harm any other humans? One of these has to be true no?

Necrophilia doesn't hurt the dead person (for obvious reasons). But that's clearly not tolerated.

just seeking clarification on where the boundaries of tolerance are.

I don't support Gana's view in any way shape or form, however I do see a distinction between him having a right to choose to support something or not and not be chastised for it. From a footballing perspective I'm glad he's here...

... however I really am not a fan of 1000 plus year old books written by flawed beings (humans) dictating whats right and wrong.

Another one bringing up war. Who is talking about imperialism? I’m certainly not.

Soft cultural power, like football, is a great vehicle for spreading the message of tolerance.
So you are politicising football to enforce your views on other societies.
That is pseudo imperialism.

Far better for us to "impose our codes" on a millionaire footballer taking our dime than for the Mullahs, Jesus Freaks, and every other bigot hiding behind a "religion" imposing their death penalty on some poor pleb who happens to love a person of the same sex.

Because, in the end, if the people simply "adhering to their religion" get their way, it'll be public hangings all the way for sexual minorities.

Frankly, in the end, I am less offended by the possible ignorance and bigotry of Gueye than I am by people educated in western societies falling over themselves to make excuses for him and revealing their own attitudes to sexual minorities in the process. It's very telling.

No, no. It’s wrong whichever way you look at it. Just because whichever sky-dwelling fairy you choose to believe in said some ambiguous stuff in a book from millennia ago, that could possibly be construed as anti-homosexual, it doesn’t automatically make it wrong for people to love those they love. On such matters there can’t be any “seeing both sides” or “agree to disagree”.

The very fact that a multitude of religions exist calls their legitimacy into question. Love is love, regardless. The religion argument is only so prominent because the rampant homophobes that peddle it can’t think of a single other argument against letting LGBTQ+ people live their lives in peace.

Anyway, topic: Gueye seems an otherwise lovely fella and I wish him and his family all the best but I don’t support his signing. Not that it matters, like.

Status
Not open for further replies.