2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
All these shouts to sell AG. There's a whole heap of other players that offer far less than AG that deserve the excitement that this potential transfer seems to be generating. The players last season voted him as the player of the year but keyboard warriors say get rid. You'd swear we had a heap of world class players banging down the door to play for Everton.

I think most would rather get rid of other players but we're not going to get 40-50m offers for the likes of Allan, Gomes, Keane and Rondon.

I think Gordon is a decent player but 50m is a big fee. If we get offered that we should take it considering our financial position and our need for signings.

1660504440979.png

Look at the comments

The fact he tries to win fouls has absolutely zero baring on how good a footballer he is.

All the best players in the world do it.
Refs have wised up to him and he doesn't 'win fouls'. Result, our attack just breaks down and therefore we're on the back foot. So he has to adapt, make the right decision, use his skill and beat players. But to do that he has too stay on his feet. Refs let some players 'win fouls', like Sterling last week against us, but he too doesn't always get them, like today. Other players like Grealish get the ball, fall over ('dive) but more often than not he doesn't always get the foul and City's attack will break down, it's the same when he plays for England. I bet Gardiola will be/or has been in his ear and told him to stay on his feet.

Just because refs fall for diving doesn't mean every one will get the same treatment. When Arteta first came, he had a tendency to go over too easily but he mostly stopped it and he became a much better player. He further develop his skills to control the football and beat people and keep the attack going. Andy Johnson conned the ref into giving us a pen. against Sheff U at home. He was never given a pen. for ages and Moyes complained. With this new directive - not giving fouls willy nilly (not perfect as Sterling falling over last week demonstrated) so Gordon will have to accept that he's a marked man as a serial diver and develop his skills.

I don't agree. 40m is a huge premium on a player who to this point has not shown a whole lot of tangible ability at this level. Yes he is young and can kick on but you can reinvest that in at least one but probably multiple players who fit that description.

Don't know how much of the 40m you're going to see, though. My first instinct was that it's a lot of money and probably not a take it or leave it situation so there is room to make a deal happen.

But, I do know you want to be having a conversation about what we can get back, from Chelsea, before going too much further. I think the twenty seven sub rule is another bind here, because young, attacking players will always be useful for managers chasing games.

Finally, I think Gordon playing off the left side offers plenty of promise but accept your point about tangible return.

The club has in my estimation brought in useful players this summer. The whole picture matters.
And still have no fit No. 9. When that is the case and the squad has been put together like that - the money doesn't matter. Just like when we bought three No.10's.

I think this is fantastic business by the club if it goes through , don’t think he is good enough and that money could be used to get forwards who would provide much more output than he does

Status
Not open for further replies.