2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
So broja is our end product saviour?

35 appearance 6 goals. No assist.

Gordon 35 appearance 4 goals 2 assist

Someone please tell me what’s the difference?
Just to break down those stats.

32 appearances, 11 of which were from the bench and 6 goal scored (9 in all comps)

6 in 21 and 11 sub apps sounds better doesn’t it.

It’s not brilliant but if he can get 10 goals + actually control the football unlike our other strikers, then we would start to see the team getting better results.

Fact of the matter is no 20 goal. Season proven striker wants to join Everton. We need a striker who has shown he can do it, but needs playing and potential to develop and make them into a 20 goal striker. Not only for our benefit, but for when we sell on.

£40 million would no doubt mean that we would have to reinvest to just get someone decent to cover the loss of a first team player in Gordon. He is not surplus to requirements.

Plenty of players we should be proactively looking to shift, Gordon is not one of them.
Problem is the players we ARE trying to shift…. Are crap and on decent wedge. Mina sicknote and Gomes on extortionate wages. Who’s taking them?

And there was me thinking that one of the academy's purposes - that we as a fanbase constantly criticise for it not doing enough of - is to develop players who can be sold for top money so that it can be reinvested in better players.
Perhaps it's preferable for clubs to buy our crap youth products but I'm pretty sure big money only gets offered for the good players.
I may be wrong though

Might not even be better players, but if you can take that money and get 3/4 players in of the right age and potential then perhaps you get 2 you can sell for 35 million each and so the circle continues.

So broja is our end product saviour?

35 appearance 6 goals. No assist.

Gordon 35 appearance 4 goals 2 assist

Someone please tell me what’s the difference?

Did Broja's all go in like he was playing pinball wizard?

"Build a team around him" - with what? If he's a 50m valued player, where are we getting more of those? Ideally you buy them younger, so to develop the squad you need a long term plan and constant reinvestment to buy the young emerging talent. We can't reinvest if we dont sell when a good opportunity arises.

I'd love for him to stay and become top class, but we have serious problems in this squad and if the sale can give the resources needed to fix some of those problems, we must take it.

Also, if there are academy youths that look at this and think "if I want to play european footy, I need a club that is prepared to allow me to move if it doesn't happen here", then we could miss out on those emerging talents in the future. Unfortunately, not mans lads dream of staying at Everton for their whole career.

Status
Not open for further replies.