2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly try to look at each post as an opinion. We all have them and are all entitled to them. It's difficult to use words like astonishing, but some of the posts do seem to defy logic.

I've seen stuff where people are saying nobody will ever bid more than 20m for him, after a bid of over 40m has come in. It's just untrue.
Sure that Tim is here for a wind up

Nobody is in a rush to sell. And it’s the polar opposite. It’s because he’s a local lad people may want to keep him. Plenty just see the value in taking 50m pure profit and balancing the books, as well as being able to reinvest in hipefilly 2-3 players from it.

For me it's partly that he's a local lad, but moreso he's had one proper season, and yup he's not the finished article yet by a mile, but you look across this team and he's the one player when he gets on the ball that gets bums off seats, pace, great workrate, can go past very good players with ease, we won't be able to bring in somebody with those qualities who also has the potential to improve (at under 21 level for England he's shown great end product).

So we sell him for 50m say then 20m of that goes on a McNeil type, and two 26yo strikers from France arrive for 15m a pop.

You as a club cannot keep selling the few players you have that bring something different and expect to be anything than a very average team with no potential to be anything but that.

Last season literally Richy and Gordon where the only two who when they got on the ball tried to do anything with it, if we end up selling both in the same window then we've literally given up trying.

I honestly try to look at each post as an opinion. We all have them and are all entitled to them. It's difficult to use words like astonishing, but some of the posts do seem to defy logic.

I've seen stuff where people are saying nobody will ever bid more than 20m for him, after a bid of over 40m has come in. It's just untrue.

I don't want to get personal and I didn't mean it to come across like that. But when I see someone arguing we should accept a significantly lower bid than Chelsea's opening bid, then I'm going to call that out as a stupid post.

Why should we not get the best deal possible when the buyer seems to be willing to spend astronomical amounts of money?

Take sentiment out if it. If he wasn’t an Everton product no one would be bothered about selling him & if we paid £20 million for him from Burnley for example he would be getting crucified on here every week.

He isn’t good enough.

Yet Chelsea, Newcastle and spuds three teams with infinitely better scouting and recruitment then we have in recent years are all thinking he's worth 30-50m+

Selling Gordon is us essentially admitting to the wider footballing world what we already knew as supporters

We're an absolute nothing team who can't even hold on to our best youth prospects anymore

This seems more emotional than backed with logic. I'm glad Everton didn't just take the 40-43m whatever and if they don't increase their bid he stays and I'm comfortable with that. Make no mistake this isn't just getting shot because we need the cash, but if people are going to offer way over market value then we have to listen.

There is no given that Gordon goes on to be a great player, he could easily become another Gray. He might get injured thid season or just fall out of love with the game due to the pressure. If any of that happens the fanbase would be up in arms for not taking the cash when we had a chance and put forward as another reason why we so incompetent.

The reaction towards Gordon because Chelsea want him is disgusting. I'm seen him called crap, take the money and tagged in posts on twitter.

Disgusting support and I'd be gone in a flash if I was him reading that.
The posts are coming from the everton hierarchy

Kenwright needs a new gazebo

I absolutely accept that every player has a price in football unless you are one of the top 4 or 5 elite clubs. And that price for Gordon is probably just over £50m for us given it's mid August, and our forward options are truly diabolical. He is worth much more to us right now than a buyer given our issues, and the fact his ceiling could be very high.

I see people moaning that we didn't accept the opening 40 million bid. I'm glad these people don't work for the club and don't negotiate deals because only an utter fool would accept the opening bid from a Chelsea owner who is spending astronomical amounts of money and cash seems like no object. If Chelsea up their bid to 50 million and perhaps give us Broja on loan or Batshuayi then we probably have no option but to sell. That makes me pretty sad but that's the reality of our situation financially and our position in the game. The club is in a horrible mess and sometimes you have to come close to rock bottom before things can get better.

Selling Gordon will hurt a lot if it happens, but if the increased offer comes in then I accept the decision. It's proper grim following this club at the minute though. Can someone at the club please pull the finger out and help the manager.
I’d take £50m and Broja don’t want batshuayi tbf at this stage of his career and the position Everton are in £50m is very good money and we simply can’t turn that down.

Reactions: Lao
Why am I on a wind up?

I said a post saying we should sell for far less than Chelsea offered was stupid.

Do you think we should counter Chelsea's offer of 40m by saying we only want 30???

I'm reading stuff in this thread that defies logic
Generally, just to incite a reaction.

I don't think anyone would accept a lower offer. Let's be clear this is all about FFP and not so much about ambition.

But your constant negativity is borderline wind up !

I've wanted to post on Gordon for a bit. It's been a bit of a mad couple of weeks for him.

There seems to be an unusually high animosity towards him, that borders on the ridiculous. 12 month ago he was a lad who didn't get into a Preston team (albeit partially down to a new manger and position change) and was really on the fringes of the team. 12 months on, he won our player of the year scored soem critical goals and in a team full of players who at times threw the towel in worked his absolute socks off for the team, irrespective of his ability.

It seems like people have really made their minds up that he is going to be some sort of scapegoat before the season started. I have no idea why. He hasn't cost us a huge fee, he isn't taking up huge wages and he has shown the sort of attitude we would all want to see.
The first two games he has been fine. On both the games the commentators (impartial) have commented how well he has done and how he needs extra help. One of the teams we have played against have subsequently bid over 40m. Yet some people would have you believe he was poor the last 2 games. You throw in that he was playing out of position in those two games, for the good of the team and it gives a wider context of those performances.

He is clearly a very good player for us, when played in position, and arguably out of position, or best attacking outlet. He was inches away from scoring our first goal of the season and being the only player who has scored for us.

There is a wider question about at what point you sell any player. I don't think any club can be so brazen as to not have a figure it sells a player, and honestly a club in our position can't. A bid of around 50m fulfills that in my view. I suspect it may come in, and theclub would have to strongly consider it.

If it doesn't go through though, none of that should be taken out on Gordon. It's not the lad himself's fault that people have a certain value on him. He's not the one robbing you of 45m or whatever. he is just a lad, who played an important role in keeping us up, and probably making an enormous profit for the club. That probably needs to be factored in, in some of the evaluations that we have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.