2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like selling Gordon has anything to do with us.
We appointed Lampard - after a history of failed managers and appalling recruitment.
We are in a perilous state with FFP and the obvious gaps in talent for the squad we have.
Let's let the fella do his job eh? We can choose to trust him or not - but one thing is for sure - this squad needed a complete overhaul and if selling Gordon allows him to get the team he wants then he should be allowed to do just that. I do think Lampard really rates Gordon though so unless it's an offer he can't turn down then I think Gordon will stay.

So what your saying is Frank Lampard, as clear as day, wanted Everton to sell the only bright light from his team last year, in Richarlison.

I mean, if he has final say then Lampard clearly wanted him out despite him being our only real goal threat
We've literally turned down a £40m bid too which is way more than he's worth as it is.

@davek

It would appear that we had our deals in the pipeline before the notion of selling Gordon started to look serious, DCL cover aside - but listening to Frank speak on the matter at the weekend he says as DCL will be back next month they are not going to knee jerg and splurge on a forward. Assuming this is true then we do not appear to need to sell Gordon, nor that we have a replacement lined up or agreed, so any suiters considering selling to us this late in the window would no doubt be looking to take whatever we got for his sale off us. Assuming that we do not need to sell and acknowledging that he is a first team player for us, it might be logical to keep him and develop him further.

Bringing in a reasonably priced back-up or competition wouldn't be knee-jerking or splurging though. That quote seems to be more a case of tempering expectations or keeping cards close to the chest rather than explicitly ruling out any deals. No manager's gonna come out and say we're looking into flogging Gordon because we need a player or three in in other positions.

I don't think we can read too much into public statements - especially deliberately vague and ambiguous statements like that.

But he didn't have the final say at Chelsea. Which is why he didn't get the players he wanted and ended up getting several players for big fees not bought by him (of which most have already left after failing).
He did on sales out.

It should be a surprise, because unlike the kneekjerkers around here I back a manager.

I dont want Lampard out btw. I just wont offer him support. And I wont be handing ay counter argument out when then pitchforkers copme looking for him in large numbers.

That's being consistent.

You're better than this. I thought...
You wanted him sacked last season

Let’s not lie openly here Dave.

Yeah Guirassy seems to be the one we’ve been working on regardless, hopefully Chelsea throw in Broja or Batshuayi in with the next bid then we can use the sale towards a wide player
We are only looking for cover upfront so it'll be cheap and not so cheerful.

Selling our two best wide players and bringing in McNeil and 'possibly' another wide player doesn't feel sensible at all. If Gordon goes we may well go with McNeil and Gray.

Like selling Gordon has anything to do with us.
We appointed Lampard - after a history of failed managers and appalling recruitment.
We are in a perilous state with FFP and the obvious gaps in talent for the squad we have.
Let's let the fella do his job eh? We can choose to trust him or not - but one thing is for sure - this squad needed a complete overhaul and if selling Gordon allows him to get the team he wants then he should be allowed to do just that. I do think Lampard really rates Gordon though so unless it's an offer he can't turn down then I think Gordon will stay.
Our P&L situation is alright. We have turned down a £40m bid for the lad ffs.

We don't want to or HAVE to sell.

But, if Chelsea are willing to pay £50m for a lad of his current quality, then we absolutely should consider it because frankly that £50m could allow us to buy £80m worth of players who could - I only say could because there's no guarantees - vastly improve on what we have.

It's not hard to improve on Gordon, though. I love the lad, he's a great talent, but in terms of what he actually offers right now, he's relatively easy to improve on. Not like Richarlison.

We are only looking for cover upfront so it'll be cheap and not so cheerful.

Selling our two best wide players and bringing in McNeil and 'possibly' another wide player doesn't feel sensible at all. If Gordon goes we may well go with McNeil and Gray.
If we sell Gordon we'd be able to buy Terrier who the club really like but as it stands would be hard pushed to afford. He's an instant upgrade and actually replaces Richarlison in terms of being that wide forward who scores and creates.

We'd also be able to go out and buy probably two forwards, or a forward and a midfielder etc. It'd basically give us a huge amount of leeway because it'd clear our remaining P&L issues right now, instead of in a year or so's time.

It should be a surprise, because unlike the kneekjerkers around here I back a manager.

I dont want Lampard out btw. I just wont offer him support. And I wont be handing ay counter argument out when then pitchforkers copme looking for him in large numbers.

That's being consistent.

You're better than this. I thought...
It's been a steady drip feed of negativity in the last few months Dave.

We see you.

I completely understand your view and in part agree. I’ve no issue with us turning round and saying nah we’re keeping him. I see the value in both selling and keeping.

Question will be will his end product improve? We don’t know. The coaches and managers know more than any of us. My concern is if he goes, who we replace with. I’ve no issue doing that, but just hope there is a plan.

It always hurts to see an academy product go but if it’s big money, which it is, then we have to seriously consider it considering the financial position and it could allow us to bring in 2 higher quality players for the now.

Keeping is a gamble, selling is a gamble. Up to the club to decide which one to go with and prepare properly.

To what end though mate, bring in two good players lose a player who has the potential to be better than either and is likely younger and a million percent more passionate about the club.

If the lad your selling is broken like Rodwell was or an utter idiot like both Jeffers (coke head) and Barkley (nobhead) then yeah you can take it easily.

This is more like West Ham when they sold Rio, Lampard and Cole, I can't think of a situation where selling like this benefits a team ever.

We aren't broke, we are in a financial restrictions because of poor spending, you do t give this board the excuse of selling off the only positive things at the club to obfuscate their incompetence.

Same way we allowed Rooney to go all those years ago to paper over the fact it was Kenwrights mismanagement which meant we had to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.