2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dogs of War on Twitter had posted Gordon has handed in a transfer request. They've since taken it down.

That account has been known to pull things out the hat, defo has connections

Take closer to 50 million atleast ir Gallagher and Hudson Odei.

Won't get a game there and will be back within three years

You could argue that his most valuable contribution last season was smacking the ball against maguire and getting a deflected goal which won the game at home to Man Utd 1-0

On the other hand he had no contributions in the following key matches

Iwobi’s winner v Newcastle
Keane, Richarlison and DCL’s goals v palace
Richarlison goal v Chelsea and Pickfords double save
Holgate and Mykolenko’s goals v Leicester
Richarlisons last minute equaliser v Leicester
Grays last minute winner v Arsenal

Gordon has energy and a certain buzz around him and he is at the very early stages of his career but you can’t turn down 50-60 mil for a player that could just turn out to be a flop and fail to live up to his potential. From what we have seen so far he does not have a great end product.

Agree. For no more reason that I get the sense his promise will prove to be just that. Can't give you a rational reason, but I would take the money.
If we could use the money to get a decent striker and winger then it’s definitely a good deal for us I’m not convinced at his peak that he’ll be worth much more than 40m

I can see pros and cons with keeping and selling. There isn’t a definitive correct answer.
There is - it's whatever you think the reserve price for the player is - but the problem is that there is an extremely wide range of opinion over what that reserve price should be for this particular player.

No player is unsellable. Tuchel commented on that yesterday with the "No one is for sale and everyone is for sale" bit of his. If somebody showed up with a billion pounds sterling for prime Messi, Barcelona was taking that. They as much as admitted it publicly, as he had a reserve clause of 700 million euros in his last contract with them.

There's some sentiment that's getting in the way of admitting that, which is normal. Fans get attached to players. There's a lot of disgruntlement over how we invested in the squad in the wrong way in the past, in pursuit of Moshiri's 'win now' mandate. People don't trust the board to use the funds wisely. They remember how we got fleeced out of the Lukaku money plus a hundred million euros buying Pickford, a couple of players we flipped at modest profit and a bunch of players whose value literally went straight to zero.

At some point, though, it becomes clear that another club is paying over the odds for a player. Provided there's enough time left in the window to do business, the responsible move by the club is to sell when that happens. It's what well-run clubs, large and small, do. Is Chelsea for real here? I don't know. If they are, then we would probably be wise to cash in if we successfully bid them up from where they started.

I think it's a great deal for all parties concerned.

We need the money to satisfy many things, primarily the fans' demands for further investment in the squad.

For Gordon it's an opportunity for him to challenge for a place in a Champions' League team and to improve himself playing with world class players.

For the academy it shows there is a valid pathway; from the U23s to the first team, and then with application on to a bigger side.

Whilst in an ideal world we'd be able to offer these lads the opportunity to achieve what they want at Everton; we're a long way off that. The model has to be buy or develop talent and sell it on at a profit.

I think thats gone from football though mate, and has gone for a long time.
It's a sentiment that went out the game years ago yet for some reason a lot of our fanbase still seem to be fully paid up members of the subscription club. Football is fundamentally a business now like it or not and as anyone who works in any kind of business knows they have to provide/show results.

Status
Not open for further replies.