Confirmed Signing Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone said to me "they're a well ran club" I'd think Bayern Munich not Brighton in all honesty. They were playing out of athletics stadium not so long ago and have touched lucky with Potter.
Potter is a continuation of a strategy.
Hughton was just as important bringing them up.
Players like Maccalister, Trossard and Bissouma have all been developed since before Potter came.

If he's not required by Brighton I don't think he's good enough for us. For heaven's sake, why did we get rid of Simms for the season? At least he could have been given a chance.
Because he’s not good enough yet to play Premier League football, it’s a big difference scoring in League One and the Scottish Prem than it is scoring in the top league

Reasons why I think at £15m he'd be a good, pragmatic signing.

- Brighton wanted to keep him. He wouldn't renew. He's been an important player for them and still would be if he wanted to stay.
- He's only available, and for a good price because he's in the last year of his deal. From January, he can open talks with any foreign club about a free transfer.
- League goals - 10 in 37, 8 in 33, 8 in 35. Their top goal scorer in those 3 seasons. Over those 3 years, he's contributed a third of their goals.
- Compare how he'd rank at 10, 8 and 8 in an Everton team the past 3 years.
- He's 25, he hit double figures (ok, 10 league goals) in his debut season as a 21/22 year old for Brighton.
- It sounds daft, but he tends to score goals that matter. It's not like he slots 3 in a 4-0 win to bump up his numbers - 'Take away the nine he netted in 2021-22 and Brighton’s record-breaking ninth place finish becomes 14th spot in the table. Maupay was single-handedly worth seven points last season.'
- He has a very good fitness record.
- People like to say 'Brighton create loads of chances, Maupay misses loads' - he has a better conversion rate than most, including Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison.
- He's low risk in that he's 'proven' in the Prem, young enough to do a few years and sell for profit.
- Playing style. He's a bit street footballer - he brings energy, tenacity and some snide. He's a bit of an angry ant - he can't play upfront on his tod, but he creates space for those around him. Evertonians tend to like that type of player.
- Long term target so it's not a knee jerk panic - we were linked last summer but had no chance because Brighton wouldn't sell;

He'd be a very useful player and for £15m, all day.

It would be double that, and I doubt Brighton would sell if he had 4 years on his contract.
i`ll be disappointed if we don`t get him after reading that. ?

Reasons why I think at £15m he'd be a good, pragmatic signing.

- Brighton wanted to keep him. He wouldn't renew. He's been an important player for them and still would be if he wanted to stay.
- He's only available, and for a good price because he's in the last year of his deal. From January, he can open talks with any foreign club about a free transfer.
- League goals - 10 in 37, 8 in 33, 8 in 35. Their top goal scorer in those 3 seasons. Over those 3 years, he's contributed a third of their goals.
- Compare how he'd rank at 10, 8 and 8 in an Everton team the past 3 years.
- He's 25, he hit double figures (ok, 10 league goals) in his debut season as a 21/22 year old for Brighton.
- It sounds daft, but he tends to score goals that matter. It's not like he slots 3 in a 4-0 win to bump up his numbers - 'Take away the nine he netted in 2021-22 and Brighton’s record-breaking ninth place finish becomes 14th spot in the table. Maupay was single-handedly worth seven points last season.'
- He has a very good fitness record.
- People like to say 'Brighton create loads of chances, Maupay misses loads' - he has a better conversion rate than most, including Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison.
- He's low risk in that he's 'proven' in the Prem, young enough to do a few years and sell for profit.
- Playing style. He's a bit street footballer - he brings energy, tenacity and some snide. He's a bit of an angry ant - he can't play upfront on his tod, but he creates space for those around him. Evertonians tend to like that type of player.
- Long term target so it's not a knee jerk panic - we were linked last summer but had no chance because Brighton wouldn't sell;

He'd be a very useful player and for £15m, all day.

It would be double that, and I doubt Brighton would sell if he had 4 years on his contract.
I’ll give him his due, he is one of those players that you hate playing against because he’s proper snide.

I don’t have any issue either, and the means test for any new striker is easy this year:
Is he better than Rondon.

He’d be useful coming off the bench and ruffling a few feathers

I’ll give him his due, he is one of those players that you hate playing against because he’s proper snide.

I don’t have any issue either, and the means test for any new striker is easy this year:
Is he better than Rondon.

He’d be useful coming off the bench and ruffling a few feathers
Exactly what we need...

Sign him...

They've sold all their best players, made £200mill, and still look a better footballing side than we do.

We're currently flapping and missing vital players
Yes they've done very well in the transfer market .
There's plenty of others done the same like Watford ,Burnley etc.
They had a decent season last year with a manager playing a certain system.
And thats about it really.

Brighton fans will be on here if we buy Maupay just like Southampton ,Watford & Burnley fans have done.

Again they are a nothing club having a little bit of a run.
Their fans opinions are irrelevant .

I've always liked this guy but am not convinced he is our striking solution. Maybe in a 2 with Ben Brereton Díaz.

I've always liked this guy but am not convinced he is our striking solution. Maybe in a 2 with Ben Brereton Díaz.

He's not but with others, he'd keep us competitive enough to help avoid another relegation scrap. In a few years we'd hopefully be in a better position and able to sell for a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.