2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hotshot?
Must have missed those
I can well imagine that you did.

Those of us knowledgable about football can see the brilliance. Danny Murphy, having been there and done it puts it well in identifying AG as a superstar in the making.

“You’re talking about getting him for the next seven or eight years for that club and someone who will progress into a superstar. He’s really good, he’s not a risk.
"If you know football and you’ve watched football then you know that he’s not a risk. He’s plenty good enough and he’s going to get better and better, so he’s certainly not a risk."

I don't think so mate but here at GOT we're all about hearing fresh perspectives and very open to changing our stance if proved wrong....
I feel like playing with a head down dribbler who largely isn't available in dangerous areas to receive a pass and also doesn't pass into those areas isn't the easiest to work with

I feel like playing with a head down dribbler who largely isn't available in dangerous areas to receive a pass and also doesn't pass into those areas isn't the easiest to work with

If we're going to have a serious analysis about him we have to acknowledge he is a bit more than this.
1) Yes he is a good dribbler, which we would both accept
2) He does have good ability to get strikes away, to a degree with both feet. His shot on Saturday at Villa wasn't bad for a weaker foot. He needs to showcase this more. This was his USP in the reserves by the way, before he shot up and gained pace- he had a very good shot.
3) He's extremely quick with/without then ball. Sort of covered in 1.
4) He has a good spring and gets into good areas arriving in the box. Again need to see more of it.
5) Without the ball, he is excellent without the ball. I'm not talking relative for a 21 year old either. He does a lot of fantastic work without the ball in amost every defensive metric. In the modern game, where managers want people who can press from the front it gets you a long way.

His big weakness, is translating the attacking attributes into numbers, and as you have said, making himself more available to recieve attacking passes. Some of this is the players he's playing with though. Outside of Iwobi I'm not sure we have an attacking player who can pick passes out. I'm hoping McNeil can help supplement this. He also needs to get better at finishing.

I can completely see why Chelsea look at him though, and think he can do what Havertz does, maybe at a higher level, as he's faster.

My gut tells me that the only driving factor for this is the board, and if it happened, it would poison so much, from the goodwill of many fans who love the story of the local lad at the heart of the squad, to the belief in any kind of loyalty from the new signings, to the heart and enthusiasm of the manager.

Frank was sacked at Chelsea in part because of clashes with an executive over transfer policy (interestingly, one of the targets was Tarkowski), and he’s been adamant that developing Gordon is central to his plans. Selling him blows up the process before it’s had a chance to develop.

The Echo has a throwaway line in one piece yesterday that they’ve been told Gordon has not pushed for an exit, and I’m starting to believe the people here who’ve said that’s coming from the board, trying to light the fire. The whole discourse has turned sour since this Chelsea pursuit ramped up, and I’d rather have a scrappy young squad growing and building together with a few young forwards brought in who are trying to prove themselves, than risk poisoning the well for another £50m to purchase a handful of overpriced players who likely won’t have much impact and certainly no inspiration.

Has anyone suggested Gordon is holding back Gray and McNeil?

Because if not you can consider that corner occupied.

I mean you're a thoiughtful guy, and I quite like Gray, but honestly, how on earth would anyone other than Damrai Gray be holding back Demarai Gray. I don't mean that horribly, I'm not saying he has a bad attitude, but he lacks composure. You could put him with the best players in the world, and Gray is going to do what he does.

Ha Ha Ha Ha.

Yeah, that's why Chelsea will have to pay a minimum of £50M for him.

Maybe they like wasting that sort of cash?

Dont rubbish this lad...his talent (like many other Everton players in the past) will be sacrificed to get the board out of a hole they dug for the club. Dont make that task easy for them by dumping on the player.
Have you been paying attention this window? They’re splurging mammoth amounts left, right and centre. Probably end up spending £80m+ on Fofana. What they’re spending is not indicative of what their signings are worth.

I’m not rubbishing him, far from it. I’m just not as desperate to paint him as the superstar he absolutely isn’t, just because he’s a local lad and tries hard.

There are few, if any players in our squad I wouldn’t take £50m for. The fact this board dug the hole doesn’t change the fact we’re in it, and this is an incredibly straightforward way of getting out. Utter foolishness not to accept if they come back with 50 big ones O.N.O.

My gut tells me that the only driving factor for this is the board, and if it happened, it would poison so much, from the goodwill of many fans who love the story of the local lad at the heart of the squad, to the belief in any kind of loyalty from the new signings, to the heart and enthusiasm of the manager.

Frank was sacked at Chelsea in part because of clashes with an executive over transfer policy (interestingly, one of the targets was Tarkowski), and he’s been adamant that developing Gordon is central to his plans. Selling him blows up the process before it’s had a chance to develop.

The Echo has a throwaway line in one piece yesterday that they’ve been told Gordon has not pushed for an exit, and I’m starting to believe the people here who’ve said that’s coming from the board, trying to light the fire. The whole discourse has turned sour since this Chelsea pursuit ramped up, and I’d rather have a scrappy young squad growing and building together with a few young forwards brought in who are trying to prove themselves, than risk poisoning the well for another £50m to purchase a handful of overpriced players who likely won’t have much impact and certainly no inspiration.
Which is it? You either want a scrappy, young squad which would necessitate us signing scrappy, young players or you don’t trust the board to spend cash wisely.

We either flog what we can and use the proceeds to invest in better players or go with what we’ve got + Gana and probably a loan.

Two Evertonians trying to talk Gordon's fee down.

Why would you want to do that?
What are you getting at? That we should be looking to get 100m like grealish and Sancho went for?

Surely your not getting at that?

Grealish went for 100m because he was the best player for villa, captain, had a great season and a great euros on the back of that.

Sancho has been quality for Dortmund including on the champions League ( and very young )

Gordon closes down.

Can you see why these are different?

If we're going to have a serious analysis about him we have to acknowledge he is a bit more than this.
1) Yes he is a good dribbler, which we would both accept
2) He does have good ability to get strikes away, to a degree with both feet. His shot on Saturday at Villa wasn't bad for a weaker foot. He needs to showcase this more. This was his USP in the reserves by the way, before he shot up and gained pace- he had a very good shot.
3) He's extremely quick with/without then ball. Sort of covered in 1.
4) He has a good spring and gets into good areas arriving in the box. Again need to see more of it.
5) Without the ball, he is excellent without the ball. I'm not talking relative for a 21 year old either. He does a lot of fantastic work without the ball in amost every defensive metric. In the modern game, where managers want people who can press from the front it gets you a long way.

His big weakness, is translating the attacking attributes into numbers, and as you have said, making himself more available to recieve attacking passes. Some of this is the players he's playing with though. Outside of Iwobi I'm not sure we have an attacking player who can pick passes out. I'm hoping McNeil can help supplement this. He also needs to get better at finishing.

I can completely see why Chelsea look at him though, and think he can do what Havertz does, maybe at a higher level, as he's faster.
I think saying he can do what Havertz does misunderstands how much of a skill movement and finding space in the penalty area is. It's like saying someone can just be Thomas Muller (not that Havertz is as good) because they're more athletic. They actually probably can't.

I mean you're a thoiughtful guy, and I quite like Gray, but honestly, how on earth would anyone other than Damrai Gray be holding back Demarai Gray. I don't mean that horribly, I'm not saying he has a bad attitude, but he lacks composure. You could put him with the best players in the world, and Gray is going to do what he does.
Well last season Gray was really good and then Anthony Gordon started getting into the team...

Status
Not open for further replies.