2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite being a non-scouse Evertonian, I still carry that sentimentality towards home grown talent. There's nothing better than seeing a kid come through the academy and be a success, and speaking as southern softie who's spent a lot of time in Liverpool over the years there is definitely something special about people from your part of the country.. you guys have a mentality, a spirit and fight that you don't really get anywhere else - and that's always magnified in sport. When you get that Scouse attitude and combine it with god given talent like Rooney, special things happen but there lies the problem maybe. We measure every kid that comes through the academy to those lofty standards. The moment a kid shows any sign of promise we elevate them. Baxter, Rodwell, Barkley, Davies and now Gordon. I do think that pressure to be the next Rooney only ever leads to disappointment. They either leave and we're heartbroken/angry/betrayed or they stay and never reach the levels we expect from them - Tom Davies is a prime example of that.
Should Gordon go? It's a head vs heart. £50m is a lot of money for the player he is today but it may turn out to be an absolute steal if he reaches his potential.
Nail on the head, there, mate.

It IS a lot of money for him right now, alternatively it MIGHT be a steal for the player he MIGHT become, but has shown no discernible signs of becoming. As a business we can't afford to take that gamble.

I agree Brett. I don't want to lose him really but selling him at that price could help give us a better overall squad than we have right now. Chelsea can afford to wait for him to develop much more than we can.

Having said that, the thread includes a lot of comments completely dissing the player which is so wide of the mark. So much more than the number over praising him. Which is how this conversation came about.
That's how things tend to go these days, isn't it? When a player looks like they might be off, the camp gets divided into "I never rated him anyway" and "he's gonna be the greatest player who ever lived, we CAN'T sell."

You can like him as a player/lad and still admit that taking £50m, if offered, probably represents the best business we've done since Lukaku/Stones.

Despite being a non-scouse Evertonian, I still carry that sentimentality towards home grown talent. There's nothing better than seeing a kid come through the academy and be a success, and speaking as southern softie who's spent a lot of time in Liverpool over the years there is definitely something special about people from your part of the country.. you guys have a mentality, a spirit and fight that you don't really get anywhere else - and that's always magnified in sport. When you get that Scouse attitude and combine it with god given talent like Rooney, special things happen but there lies the problem maybe. We measure every kid that comes through the academy to those lofty standards. The moment a kid shows any sign of promise we elevate them. Baxter, Rodwell, Barkley, Davies and now Gordon. I do think that pressure to be the next Rooney only ever leads to disappointment. They either leave and we're heartbroken/angry/betrayed or they stay and never reach the levels we expect from them - Tom Davies is a prime example of that.
Should Gordon go? It's a head vs heart. £50m is a lot of money for the player he is today but it may turn out to be an absolute steal if he reaches his potential.
Spot on mate.

That's how things tend to go these days, isn't it? When a player looks like they might be off, the camp gets divided into "I never rated him anyway" and "he's gonna be the greatest player who ever lived, we CAN'T sell."

You can like him as a player/lad and still admit that taking £50m, if offered, probably represents the best business we've done since Lukaku/Stones.
This!! It appears if you think this is good business then you are against Gordon and think he's useless. "oh, so he's good enough for Chelsea but not for Everton" Not the case at all.
I'm trying to take the sentimentality out of it, if Chelsea were bidding 50m for a young Leeds player with similar stats I'd be envious. If we were bidding 50m for a player like Gordon I'd be seriously concerned. It's a lot of money and whilst Gordon is a great talent (Chelsea wouldn't want him if he wasn't) the player he is right now isn't irreplaceable and 50m could right a lot of wrongs if spent correctly (and that's the fine print)

Agree, but with the caveat that he actually plays. He'll have a lot of competition for game time at Chelsea and could end up out on loan come January.
yep. From Gordon's point of view it's a massive gamble - and i don't buy the 'he's being forced out by the club' narrative but this is a kid who at 18 walked into Carlo Ancelotti's office and demanded more game time. He will believe he's good enough to force his way into Chelsea's team and after last season he's probably concerned that another poor season or, god forbid relegation then this opportunity may not come again.
We're stuck with Everton through good or bad for the rest of our lives but for players, it's a short career and players will always do what's best for them.

If Grealish is worth £100m, then Gordon is worth £50m.

If Sancho is worth £60 odd million then Gordon is worth £50m.

If Pepe is worth £72m then Gordon is worth £50m

If Cucurella is worth £62m then Gordon is worth £50m.

The Sancho one is the most obvious comparison. Gordon outperformed him last year quite comfortably.
You know we cant do that Tim , we are Everton dont forget.

Signed Richarlison £50mil from Watford
EVERTON RUINED THE TRANSFER WINDOW.

Chelsea want Gordon ,Everton want £50mil.
EVERTON RUINING THE TRANSFER WINDOW.

You know how it works.

You twist comments so smoothly you could be my wife. lol

I don't differentiate between scouse Evertonians and non scouse Evertonians. They are all equal to me.;)

I'm just making an observation that only a very small minority on here think he should stay. So the question should be, are Evertonian,s too hard on our local talent who have come through the system.

….it an often spun view that local players are hard done by but I don’t agree. Footballers are footballers and are judged on performance. Supporters are chuffed if local talent comes through, but they then have to perform to hold their place.

Regardless, £50m (without add-ons) for Gordon is surely good business. It’s then up to Thelwell to spend it wisely on players who will truly make a difference.

I've been pinching myself to think we might get 50m for a punt with 0 end product. I've just watched a highlight reel. He's a potential world class winger ! I'd still sell

It's fine if we think we can get £50m+ from Chelsea though, or we just don't actually want to sell the player.

You can dislike it all you want but it does seem Everton don't want to sell Gordon, so have put a silly valuation on his head (anything above £40m is probably silly at this stage, but there you go).
This is still not ok. Maybe if it was a truly top class player but that isn't this

Status
Not open for further replies.