2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree, but with the caveat that he actually plays. He'll have a lot of competition for game time at Chelsea and could end up out on loan come January.

In a way it's a bit like the Barkley transfer though, a young talent that just needed to play with better players around him to unleash his potential.

Would much prefer we sold Gordon for a good fee (I'd take the 45mil) and get Sarr and Diaz, poss Broja on loan.

Maketh hay whilst the sun shineth.

….it an often spun view that local players are hard done by but I don’t agree. Footballers are footballers and are judged on performance. Supporters are chuffed if local talent comes through, but they then have to perform to hold their place.

Regardless, £50m (without add-ons) for Gordon is surely good business. It’s then up to Thelwell to spend it wisely on players who will truly make a difference.
Yeah. If you follow the conversation back Eggs you'll see that I was responding to a post asking the question do our fans have blue tinted specs when it comes to our young local talent. I made an observation that, given there are considerably more people on here criticising the lad than there are defending him, that maybe the question should be do we give our local lads a harder time. It's not a view that I particularly hold myself, I was just posing the question given the context of this thread.

And I've made a number of posts stating that I'm in favour of selling Gordon for the amount being quoted. It isn't a policy that I would like the club to adopt going forward, but given our unique circumstances at the moment I believe it's the right thing to do, provided the funds are invested in players needed to strengthen certain areas of our squad. In the ideal world, we would have no financial worries and a competitive squad that we would be able to integrate our best young talent into. I would very much like to be able to tell Chelsea to do one, like when they came sniffing after John Stones, But the sad reality is we really can't afford to.

In a way it's a bit like the Barkley transfer though, a young talent that just needed to play with better players around him to unleash his potential.

Would much prefer we sold Gordon for a good fee (I'd take the 45mil) and get Sarr and Diaz, poss Broja on loan.

I feel like you picked the worst example of needing to play with better players you could have come up with there. Barkley could have played in the Arsenal invincible’s team and still looked awful

I’d take that apparent Batshuayi + Gilmour + £ if it meant that it was still a huge amount, like upwards of £40m. Think those 2 would be fine squad players for us and would make sense in terms of going after let’s say Diaz and Sarr or Diaz and Terrier.

Wouldn’t go near a deal like that though if it was a case of the cash being under £30m or something like that. We’d get better players in for the extra money we’d get.

Not sure about the Barkley reference but agree with the rest. ;)

I feel like you picked the worst example of needing to play with better players you could have come up with there. Barkley could have played in the Arsenal invincible’s team and still looked awful

Agree that Barkley was crap, but when he went to Chelsea he was still a young Everton player with (arguably) talent that they could possibly develop, and we now have Gordon in much the same circumstances.

It's far from nailed on that he will progress any further than Barkley did which is why we should take the cash.

not to defend Barkley (because he's a rat) but he was bought by Chelsea without Conte's knowledge if I remember right. He even said he didn't want him but the club did. It was all about home grown quotas and Chelsea have always had a habit of stockpiling talent so other teams don't get it.
It looks like Tuchel actually wants Gordon and has a plan for him. Still doesn't guarantee he'll be a success but he's going into a very different situation than Barkley did.

Status
Not open for further replies.