Abel Xavier

Status
Not open for further replies.
xavier1-814x524.jpg

Cenk Tosun would have loved a Barnet like that.

Abel Xavier once walked passed me in Liverpool city center somewhere around about the turn of the millenium and I remember not realizing just how much he looked like a 6'4" sugarpuff monster, with the whole blonde hair-n-beard combo thing.

Needless to say next time I fired up the old Championship Manager he was my "Portugese Ruud Gullit" who could --and did!!!-- play anywhere as "Abi Xavi" and Franny-J lead the barnstorming assualt on the Europa UEFA Cup League or whatever it was called back then.

#ClaimToFame

Amazing how he never scored the whole time he was here, plays his first few minutes for them and bloody bangs one in
I remember being out that afternoon with a couple of kopite mates of mine (we were playing the next day), they'd found a pub showing their game away at Ipswich (showing Saturday 3pm games on snide Tv was still probably in it's infancy back then), so I ended up meeting them there and watching it with them. I remember telling them I wasn't too fussed about the fact that he'd left us, even for that lot (cue the old you're just bitter he's rejected you lot etc,etc...). All I could do a few minutes later was give a hollow laugh when he scored that goal. If I remember correctly, they ended up winning 6-0 as well.

Strangely enough, I remember him doing the splits in mid air, in a warm up, sleeping in an oxygen tent, an interview in the echo, during which he ate 6 egg whites. Doing an end of season lap of honour, wearing a strange green khaki safari suit after a match v Middlesbrough, also watching him get sent off for Portugal. However, I remember nothing of him for Everton.

Strangely enough, I remember him doing the splits in mid air, in a warm up, sleeping in an oxygen tent, an interview in the echo, during which he ate 6 egg whites. Doing an end of season lap of honour, wearing a strange green khaki safari suit after a match v Middlesbrough, also watching him get sent off for Portugal. However, I remember nothing of him for Everton.
Wait, who was?

Status
Not open for further replies.