2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

No nappies wet it wasn’t acceptable for maupay to not score, same goes for DCL he’s fit now no excuses other than he’s not very good. I do agree goals should come from elsewhere but if not we can rely on our number 9 right? Oh wait.

Spot on mate. He needs to get soaked until he gets back to knocking 25 a season in. 👍

Oh wait.

1708530423545.png

It is the right of every squelch merchant to demand that he transfotm into a prolific poacher and stop being a target man styled number 9.

It's hardly DCL's job to pick the rest of the team and set out tactics and formation. Dyche is the manager. His selections and formations are clueless sometimes and offer little support to whoever plays up front. That whole game against Palace was a case in point. Ultra defensive against a weakened team in front of our own fans in a game we had to win. Dropping Harrison for Young just beggars belief. Godfrey is also an extremely limited player who offers no attacking threat. Nothing against the lad but he kicked every ball out of touch. Myko seems to have disappeared but McNeil is clearly off his game and needs to be rested. Midfield was awful with no threat whatsoever.
Dyche got this all wrong and not for the first time. He seems to only know how to set teams up to defend primarily and hope for breakaways. Not the best tactic when we have some of the slowest players in the league. It may be suitable away from home but completely wrong at home especially against teams in the bottom half. Our football is so predicable and downright boring. Pickford or Tarky lumping it from our own half just won't cut it. We create no chances from open play and rely on set pieces to score. It's turgid and Dyche is ultimately responsible. Not sure if he realises he is serving this tripe up. It's no wonder DCL isn't scoring.

Spot on mate. He needs to get soaked until he gets back to knocking 25 a season in. 👍

Oh wait.

View attachment 246663

It is the right of every squelch merchant to demand that he transfotm into a prolific poacher and stop being a target man styled number 9.

he's never going to be prolific and no one is demanding that he should be,

but 20 games without a goal is extremely poor.

got 1 goal last season in 17 games from open play, and 3 in 17 this season, that's NOT good enough for your main striker.

we all agree others need to chip in, it's not just him who are producing terrible numbers, but ultimately his MAIN job is to score goals, and he's not.

In 19/20 he'd scored 3 in 13 when Silva was sacked.

Ancelotti is only manager who's got him scoring 1 in 2. Even then he scored 8 in Ancelotti's first 10 games and then no more goals when that season resumed after lockdown.

Season 20/21 the one year where he was excellent from start to finish.

No business sense to offer him a new deal so I think his agent will be putting the feelers out and seeing which prem teams want another experienced striker as back up.

In 19/20 he'd scored 3 in 13 when Silva was sacked.

Ancelotti is only manager who's got him scoring 1 in 2. Even then he scored 8 in Ancelotti's first 10 games and then no more goals when that season resumed after lockdown.

Season 20/21 the one year where he was excellent from start to finish.

No business sense to offer him a new deal so I think his agent will be putting the feelers out and seeing which prem teams want another experienced striker as back up.

He scored 4 in 20 in the second part of that season, he definitely wasn’t excellent from start to finish.

he's never going to be prolific and no one is demanding that he should be,

but 20 games without a goal is extremely poor.

got 1 goal last season in 17 games from open play, and 3 in 17 this season, that's NOT good enough for your main striker.

we all agree others need to chip in, it's not just him who are producing terrible numbers, but ultimately his MAIN job is to score goals, and he's not.
The majority of his seasons with us his tally has been 6 or below. He's halfway to six now. I think that it is fair to say that the reasons multiple managers have valued his contribution to the team is not goals. Don't get me wrong, it looked like Carlo had found a way of getting more goals which was great but for me his value is in holding the ball, linking play and winning aerial duels. If he can set others up and they can score and better still get some himself, we'll be OK. Key is others maximising off what he brings.

But isn't that exactly the point? He's shown he's not good enough.

It's not his fault we have spent terribly and not replaced him, but for the reasons stated he has to be dropped and someone else given a good run like he has had.
I suppose that depends on your view of what he should be doing. As I say, my view is that he's not a fox in the box, and that he should be doing what he has always done: holding the ball, linking play, and winning aerial duels. To be fair to the lad, he is generally doing that very well.

It seems the issue apparent in this thread is that some have decided he should be doing things outside of his normal game, the things he has always done for us

I suppose that depends on your view of what he should be doing.

Scoring/creating goals and not missing good chances every week would be a start.

Again, no one expects him to be smashing 20 goals in a season, but any decent Premier league striker should be getting 9/10 goals minimum. He'll end up on about 5 or 6. That is a terrible output.
I wonder how many goals he would get in a team like City, Arsenal, or even Spurs. 25-30 easily, DCL is one of the better strikers in the league its just that something seems off.

I hope this is a joke?

Scoring/creating goals and not missing good chances every week would be a start.

Again, no one expects him to be smashing 20 goals in a season, but any decent Premier league striker should be getting 9/10 goals minimum. He'll end up on about 5 or 6. That is a terrible output.

I hope this is a joke?
Look at the Covid season, unplayable. He just needs to be surrounded with world class talent.

Ignoring our “style” or formation or the players around him, or whether can create chances for himself, he’s had numerous good chances, a boatload of half chances or tougher, and a small handful of absolute sitters. He was there when we were the xG kings. And missed every one. I like him, and he has a horrendous role in our setup, but the stats are getting rediculous. Barely believable. Even if he got one single half chance every 2 matches, should still have scored a couple by now in this barren stretch.

He has a prodigious leap and won all those duels, brilliant. But he isn’t even the one scoring off our world dominating set pieces set-pieces.

Want him to come good for himself and the club. Sort of has to.