2023/24 Sean Dyche

Precisely. Similar in general tactical philosophy (defense first) and direct play.

Take away 2 of the super forward players Atletico had in the years after he joined and they would also be struggling to put teams away with defence first.

It seems to me to be a clear comparison.

I used to love watching them.
Nah, I don't think so. I enjoy watching Atletico over Brighton anyday, as it's way more intense and speed involved in the game. The biggest problem of the struggle is that the experienced players were getting over the peak like Godin, Juanfran, Felipe Luis etc, similiar to Young. Good players back in the day, but reached the ravages of the time.

I always say in football there aren't young and old footballers, but good and bad ones.

But the most important thing for Simeone is that his players give 100% every game, are tough and effective, I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with defence first. Moyes was defence first, as was Allardyce, as is Dyche etc.
Don’t think anyone is saying defence first is wrong.

But our issue is scoring, something which Diego (who Zat is comparing Dyche to) does not overlook. His teams are compact yet have a clear way of attacking, which we don’t.

When I watched us against palace, and witnessed our attacking winger have 25 yards of space in front of him, and he decided to stop and turn back and kill our counter attack, it’s clear evidence that is something is not being coached with regards to our attacking play and lack of clear ideas within the team

The XG phenomenon has hidden how poor we are we with the ball and how there seems to be no clear identity on what we do. Something Simeone clearly has in his coaching arsenal

I used to enjoy watching Atletico Madrid not far into Simeone joining.

They were very solid & managed to bring in (and develop) ruthless attacking players to put away chances.

I firmly believe that if we added a goalscoring right winger and a top centre forward we would be far up the table.

My question to you is whether you agree that having the 4th best defence & creating chances is one step below a top 10 finish (at least) if we had those two players ?

Please don't compare us to Athletico Madrid

Pep and Dyche are football managers, they are both very similar.

I firmly believe if Dyche took charge of City tomorrow they would finish the season in 8th.
Nah, that not, but they would only win games due to individual class rather than having that top team DNA.

Of course De Zerbi has way more potential to grow and become a world class manager in 10-15 years than Dyche. No one knows how he developes. But I don't see De Zerbi ready for any top 4 club in a top 5 league as of now, as he doesn't have the variability and flexibility in his system for games like against us last season, Fulham or Luton lately. He's good, but a bit overhyped atm.

I'd imagine his sale was more down to needing the money to balance the books, rather than Dyche wanting rid.
Well yep maybe ... except we sold Simms for £8mil and bought Beto for £26mil. I also can't help but imagine that Beto will have negotiated a significantly higher wage. VFM? Shrewd move? Doesn't look like it to me.

If you honestly believe that after watching how Atletico Madrid approach games, when they hunt in packs and attack with purpose, we can achieve this by adding 2 players then football is not for you Zat

Jesus Christ, you’ve written some embarrassing things but this is up there
What I want to know is why at Burnley, he wasn’t getting head hunted for all
The top jobs, because the guy is obviously a managerial genius

What I want to know is why at Burnley, he wasn’t getting head hunted for all
The top jobs, because the guy is obviously a managerial
I think everyone acknowledged his work but saw the limits in the same time to not take a team to the next level. Pretty much we get here, what expected in advance based on Burnley. He‘s a manager for teams like Burnley or Sheffield with the ambition to stay somehow up on a small budget, maybe short time for a mid table team to save the season, but not something long term for a team like us that is somewhere between 11-15 on paper.