6 + 2 Point Deductions

Surely having different independent commission panels for every hearing is a major flaw in all of this.
Each panel is going to view and interpret certain rules, behaviours and mitigations in different ways coming up with varying decisions and penalties. Can even see that with the reports so far that one panel doesn't know how the other came up with certain decisions. Especially when it seems there is no clear format of how penalties are given nor written in stone.

To have one commission panel overseeing every hearing within a season would mean both parties are singing off the same hymn sheet. In theory it should mean that the decision of the panel's punishment for one club regarding losses etc will be proportional to the next club's hearing decision and on and on for that season. Rather than different panels coming up with totally different punishments.
Then have a different panel for the appeal hearings but keep the panel the same for each appeal hearing throughout one full season
I can understand why with something this vague you might want fresh eyes on it at some level, but yeah it would make sense for at least the appeal board (and it may well yet be the case) to be the same for each case to maintain and protect consistency.

Surely having different independent commission panels for every hearing is a major flaw in all of this.
Each panel is going to view and interpret certain rules, behaviours and mitigations in different ways coming up with varying decisions and penalties. Can even see that with the reports so far that one panel doesn't know how the other came up with certain decisions. Especially when it seems there is no clear format of how penalties are given nor written in stone.

To have one commission panel overseeing every hearing within a season would mean both parties are singing off the same hymn sheet. In theory it should mean that the decision of the panel's punishment for one club regarding losses etc will be proportional to the next club's hearing decision and on and on for that season. Rather than different panels coming up with totally different punishments.
Then have a different panel for the appeal hearings but keep the panel the same for each appeal hearing throughout one full season
It seems to me that they didn't envisage a scenario where more than one club would be found in breach per season.

Maybe once every three or four years they might have to assemble one of these panels, so intra-season consistency wouldn't be an issue.

It speaks to a hubristic organisation that has never really had to show any real forethought to keep the cash flowing in. They got fat and lazy and thought they were plenty smart enough to keep this ship sailing in a straight line without too much thought.

Last edited:

Is Silk just not needed now or what, not exactly up to date with this stuff currently.
Sounds like he did all the prep work but can't represent us at the actual hearing due to a prior engagement. I guess it will be club people like Lonergan who is a qualified legal eagle or others.

It seems to me that they didn't envisage a scenario where more than one club would be found in breach per season.

Maybe once every three or four years they might have to assemble one of these panels, so intra-season consistency wouldn't be an issue.

It speaks to a hubristic organisation that has never really had to show any real forethought to keep the cash flowing in. They got fat and lazy and thought they were plenty smart enough to keep this ship sailing in a straight line without too much thought.

I don't think they envisaged a scenario where any club would be in breach when the rules were introduced back in 2008.

The fact that the financial breach figure hasn't moved with the times (I.e inflation of player and agent fees/salaries as well as 'real' inflation) is a factor in it only becoming a problem now, >15 years later.

Is Silk just not needed now or what, not exactly up to date with this stuff currently.
Sounds like he did all the prep work but can't represent us at the actual hearing due to a prior engagement. I guess it will be club people like Lonergan who is a qualified legal eagle or others.
Hopefully it's some sort of indication either way that the defense speaks for itself in this particular case.

If we get any deduction whatsoever, we need to appeal it.
Unless the scale of the breach is absolutely wild (ie worse than last time) and we're bang to rights I agree, and I can't see how it would be. Maybe we'd swallow one point just to avoid the uncertainty and expense but if the total of the two breaches does not exceed Forest's one we should be appealing any further points.