Dyche; A Great Achievement?

Great Everton Managers are judged on the trophy’s they win, I’ve had the great pleasure to have watched the Catterick and Kendall years but I got a bit of stick after suggesting that if Dyche keeps us up it should genuinely be considered one of the great Everton managerial achievements.

Players and staff don’t live in a vacuum, the off-field issues have to manifest themselves on the pitch;

- avoided relegation in the last day of the season but despite an obvious lack of quality in the squad a great improvement saw us moving along nicely until the first points deduction kicked in.
- players playing with freedom become uptight, the crowd becomes nervous. 8 points deducted but the reality is its cost us more than that. Rooney was saying in the week how impossible it is to manage a club with points deducted.
- shambles off the pitch, an absent owner, the conflict with the Board. The chairman passes away, the Board sacked and transitioned to new personnel. No money for January transfers.
- lack of quality in key positions, no goalscorer yet he found a way to accumulate points. He’s coped with injuries and still kept us competitive.
- through all the issues he’s protected the players and I never thought for one minute he’d ‘lost the dressing room’.
- we all have our selection issues but he’s uncomplicated and pragmatic. Defensively outstanding, players not found wanting for effort.

I believe keeping us up this season is one of the great managerial achievements in my 60+ years watching. Dyche is unpopular on here but I didn’t mind watching his team earlier in the season, defended well but got players forward and created chances. When the going got tough he’s done what he needed to get us over the line.

We’re safe, we can have the discussion on how well Dyche did.
Agree with every word.

When Lampard left, I honestly thought we were heading for the drop - and I'm an optimist. Don't forget that Dyche wasn't able to bring in a single new player that transfer window. Keeping us up last season was hugely impressive, of course the fans played their part too.

Then this season, to deliver a mid table performance with the handicaps of turmoil off the pitch, an eight point deduction, and the weakest front line in the Premier League, is little short of extraordinary.

How's he done it ? A rock solid defence, pressing well off the ball, playing ugly, and finding ways of winning football matches. Mykolenko, Garner and Doucouré have all improved under his watch, while Branthwaite has developed into a world beater.

Given that our financial position isn't likely to turn rosy anytime soon, Dyche is a perfect fit for us. I hope to god he stays at Everon for a good few years to come.

Doesn’t matter the quality of the teams that come up, if you’re getting 44 points plus you ain’t going down in any season. We seem to hVe this stress every season recently but the Leicester side coming up is probably worse than the one that went down, probably worse than the current Burnley team, and probably worse than last season’s Burnley team (who people panicked about as well). Leeds if they come up will be worse than the side that went down. They’d both be favourites for the drop again.

If Dyche stays on for next season and is alllowed any sort of transfer budget, and we don’t get any points deductions, then we won’t be even concerning ourselves with the relegation picture.

Yes, in the circumstances a great achievement, but has come largely from extraordinary short bursts of form within long periods that even Tarks described as a dark place. Obviously huge external factors are at play but just when it looked like there was no chance he could drag us away from that place he did. Credit where it’s due. But whatever he’s changed apart from the tracksuit needs to stick, consistency has to get considerably better.

Not without caveats, but it is a great achievement to potentially rack up 50 odd points this season before deductions.

The squad is better than it looked during that four month run without a win, but it still has plenty of issues.

On top of that, I think he'll always be a frustrating manager, and although I'm not his biggest fan, I've never had much doubt that he's the right man for the circumstances.

Doesn’t matter the quality of the teams that come up, if you’re getting 44 points plus you ain’t going down in any season. We seem to hVe this stress every season recently but the Leicester side coming up is probably worse than the one that went down, probably worse than the current Burnley team, and probably worse than last season’s Burnley team (who people panicked about as well). Leeds if they come up will be worse than the side that went down. They’d both be favourites for the drop again.

If Dyche stays on for next season and is alllowed any sort of transfer budget, and we don’t get any points deductions, then we won’t be even concerning ourselves with the relegation picture.

;)
hope so

Lower mid-table would have been a very solid achievement. Not 'great' but definitely a job well done. Lower mid-table with 8 points deducted is a job very well done.

I'd hesitate to say 'great' but still very well done. If those higher up the power structure were as solidly competent we'd be in a much better position...and ironically would probably never have been in a situation where Dyche was offered the job.

Or Large Samuel.....
and definitely not that RS one who 'knew the city'.

A great achievement for Dyche undoubtedly, his master stroke, in my opinion, was calling the players out after the shambles against Chelsea. He let them know in no uncertain manner that they weren't going to force him out, the players took it on board and suddenly there was a togetherness once again.

I'll never be his biggest fan, I think the football, for the most part is likely to make your eyes bleed, but, if you get results you get away with ugly football. I think the ambitions of the new owners, whoever they may be, will seal Dyche's fate. If they just want to get to the new ground in the prem, then Dyche is probably the man, if they want to start building, then Dyche will go.

Just as an aside, have we ever won three games in a week at Goodison before? Anyway we'll done to all of them, against the odds we're safe with 3 games to spare.

He has led this football club when we have had zero leadership from above him
I thought after the Chelsea game we wouldn't win another game such was the manner of that defeat ,but huge credit to him and his staff and players and the massive part the fans have played we did

I’ve banged the drum before but what he did last season to save us from relegation was actually a miracle

This season even with the points deduction was a breeze because of how poor Burnley, Sheffield United and Luton have been
Think this is a poor way to look at it to be honest because frankly we were never in a relegation battle but we were forced to look like we were. That false percpetion killed us all year and it's easy to see with the unrest from all around the club. Had we gone this season without the deductions and everything hanging over the club we'd have easily been a top half team, if not challenging for Europe.

We shouldn't look at the clubs below us and be relieved they didn't put more pressure on, we should be looking at how poor this league is from 5th down and being annoyed that we were actually robbed of a potentially very good season. A lot depends on the owners and the finances available but I frankly would have no issues with Dyche leading us forward, think he can build us to be a European side maybe, but the key word there is build, it's gonna take years but honestly with the past few years, anything but a final day relegation scrap is good enough for me at the moment.