Goats squad analysis thread 2024/5

Here's my squad analysis:

Key targets:

1)
Keeping Sean Dyche and his management team in check - we desperately needs stability in management
2) Keeping our defensive core alligned: Pickford, Tarkowski and Branthwaite. One of the best core we've had in a very long time
3) Adressing our problems at full backs and midfield

Guys, i think we generally are OK, besides our club is the worst run club in world football and we are an inch away from administration. Things are going on behind the scenes (a potentially another 9 point deduction), and i am scared to death by the involvement of 777. We need loans from them to pay our bills which is crazy, but nonetheless a natural consequence of the chaotic Moshiri-reign since 2016. We are sourrounded by chaos hence it is crucial that we keep our footballteam in check and doesn't shake it too much with another overhaul. Our players (besides Onana) har fully committed and more importantly, the fans are behind the team 100% which is admirable based on how poorly the club is runned.

I am just a bloke from Denmark and I am filled with pride everytime I see the Evertonians - both at home and away. Seeing 5k travelling across the contry and still outloud the home audience is beautiful. Remember, when the situation were toxic a few years ago; Sean Dyche has really succeded in creating a unit of steel that surrounds the team. I think we can't praise him enough, and we should be thankful for his service.

Here we go:

Goalkeeping: 10/10

I don't think we can ask for a better situation. Pickford has been a key player again this season, and Virginia has been solid and convincing when he's been at the pitch. Think Lonergan has to go and Crellin moves up as a third choice.

Right back: 2/10

Nathan Patterson will never be more than a below average PL-player, Godfrey and Young are a horrowshow and Coleman is a finished article. A total revamp needs to be done here; we need to find a strong, fast and technically gifted right back, since DCL desperately needs service from the right side of the pitch. Young has to go, Godfrey stays as a squad player, Patterson stays as back-up and Coleman goes into management.

Left back: 7/10

So proud of the season Mykolenko has delivered. Probably our best performing player in the first half of the season, and we can rely on him as a first choice. Godfrey can stay as a backup, but i would prefer at natural left back as backup, but that is not first priority.

Center back 10/10

Can't remember a better defensive core since Jags/Distin (Yobo, honouble mension). We need to to everything to keep hold on Branthwaite, but if a 70mio offer ticks in, i am afraid that we can't deny it. I would keep Keane as backup, sell Holgate and invest in a cheap reliable back-up. Ben Mee is a free transfer, and would be a great short team solution.

Center midfield:

A crucial area that needs to be fixed immediately - some of you would probably hang me for saying this. But in my opinion - Ross Barkley needs to be our top priority this summer. He has been outstanding this season in a very poor Luton-side. He were by far the best player on the pitch yesterday, and he outplayed Gana, Garner, Doucs and Onana and Gomes didn't stand a chance either. He left us in probably the worst way possible, but we can hope, that he wants to prove himself again. He should def be in the PL Team of the season and he deserved a call up for the EURO 2024. He would bing us calmness and athleticism and would be a great playmaker for us. I think this is a no-brainer, but I am afraid bigger clubs are in for him.

Andre Gomes has to go. He's a top earner and runs like an elderly man. He does bring something to the team, but if he has to stay, it would be at a wage around 40k a week, otherwise he needs to go. Same goes for Onana, which i can't believe are being tracked by bigger clubs. He's a alibiplayer, and can we cash in around 55mio for him, we need to do it NOW. Extend Ganas contract by one year and keep hold on Garner and Doucs for stability reasons.

Regarding Dele Alli, i think we fantasize of seeing the player that we were at Spurs. And to be fair, a 75% of that man would bring quality to our side. I would keep him, but have him on a 100% performance-based contract - a pay as you play contract. Otherwise, we need to get rid.

Wide midfield areas:

We desperately needs a player (or two) that can dribble and get past an opponent, but still has to be a "Dyche-player" in terms of the right personality, work-rate and highly diciplined. I understand why we were into Gnonto (not Kamaldeen tho) and I can see him as ur future star at the left side. McNeil needs to play in central in my opinion, since he lacks tempo and agility. Either from a no 10-position or as an inverted striker from the left side. He shooting ability and passes would be so good for us in terms of being more of a threat in front of the opponents goal.

I think Jack Harrison has been a bit underrated this season. He's work rate has been so important for us, since all opponents see our weakness at right back. He work rate, stability and reliability has earned him a future at our club; not for 20mio - prolly around 8-10 mio. He won't be as important to us if we fix our problems at right back, but i defenitely see a great squad player in him.

Danjuma has to go and Dobbin should be slotted in with more consistent performances. This leaves us with McNeil, Harrison, Dobbin and hopefully Gnonto.

Attacking options:

DCL are becoming more and more himself. He's link up play gets better, his timing in the air is back 100%, his first touch are great. He HAS to stay in the box, but we doesn't get the service he needs. But he still has to remain as our top striker. Chermitis last two performances has impressed me so much, and at the moment are in front of Beto. I would build the future around Chermiti, and keep Beto as as impact player in the squad.

Outs:

- Lonergan (free), Young (free), Coleman (into management), Onana (55), Danjuma (loan expires)

Renewed contracks:

- Gana (1 year-extension), Gomes (a salary deduction around 75%) and Dele (a performance-based contract)

Ins:

-
A first choice right back (15 mio), Ben Mee as a back central defender (free), Ross Barkley (15 mio), Jack Harrison (10 mio) and William Gnonto (25 mio)

= 65 mio which could almost be financed by the sale of Onana.

As i said before guys, i am really into this Everton-side since we see a commited side everytime which we haven't seen in so many years. I don't say, that this squad analysis woukd bring us a european squad next year. But we have battled relegation three years in a row, and i feel Dyche has created a sustainable ground that we need to built on - one brick at a time. That is so important as long as we are under chaotic circumstances. In a couple of seasons, were we hopefully are settled as a club in our new stadium, we could look at a more young and progressive (Thiago Motta) coach to build a new exciting project. But for now, we need to keep the boat stable, and we have the best man in business for that.

Much love to all of you. UTFT!

Patterson - sell if possible
Young - Release
Gomes - Release or reduce wages on short term contract
Alli - Release
Onana - sell to the highest bidder
Coleman - Releases
Doucoure - sell to the highest bidder
Danjuma - Release
Keane - Sell if there is a buyer
Harrison - been ok last few weeks but is limited. I’d try and loan for another season if Leeds don’t come up.

Last edited:
The nine departures I'm expecting. Leaves a squad of 18, with 4 of them goal keepers. An outfield squad of 14 players. We are in big trouble, huge trouble. We all praying now that forest and leicester start next term on -10 points each? We'll need every miracle there is to see Goodison out with top flight football.
Jordan Pickford (HG)
João Virgínia (HG)
Andy Lonergan (HG)
Billy Crellin (HG)
Séamus Coleman
Nathan Patterson
Ashley Young (HG)
Vitaliy Mykolenko
James Tarkowski (HG)
Michael Keane (HG)
Ben Godfrey (HG)
Jarrad Branthwaite (UA)
Mason Holgate (HG)
Amadou Onana
James Garner (HG)
Idrissa Gueye
Abdoulaye Doucouré
André Gomes
Dele Alli (HG)
Dwight McNeil (HG)
Jack Harrison (HG)
Arnaut Danjuma
Lewis Dobbin (UA)
Dominic Calvert-Lewin (HG)
Youssef Chermiti (UA)
Beto
Neal Maupay

Total players: 27

Sounds like Lonergan might be moved on also. 10 outs, 17 players left, 3 goal keepers. So still 14 outfield players. Forget how horrific this summer looks, go another season forward and look at what's left then. Who's OOC in summer 2025?
We're not going to have an eleven at this rate. It is so bizarre.

Jordan Pickford (HG)
João Virgínia (HG)
Andy Lonergan (HG)
Billy Crellin (HG)
Séamus Coleman
Nathan Patterson
Ashley Young (HG)
Vitaliy Mykolenko
James Tarkowski (HG)
Michael Keane (HG)
Ben Godfrey (HG)
Jarrad Branthwaite (UA)
Mason Holgate (HG)
Amadou Onana
James Garner (HG)
Idrissa Gueye
Abdoulaye Doucouré
André Gomes
Dele Alli (HG)
Dwight McNeil (HG)
Jack Harrison (HG)
Arnaut Danjuma
Lewis Dobbin (UA)
Dominic Calvert-Lewin (HG)
Youssef Chermiti (UA)
Beto
Neal Maupay

Total players: 27

Sounds like Lonergan might be moved on also. 10 outs, 17 players left, 3 goal keepers. So still 14 outfield players. Forget how horrific this summer looks, go another season forward and look at what's left then. Who's OOC in summer 2025?
We're not going to have an eleven at this rate. It is so bizarre.
I mean I have been telling everybody that we need at least 6 players even before we start selling CBs and Strikers.

But some people think we will sell Beto, DCL, Holgate, Keane, Godfrey, Doucs, Gana, Pickford and buy a whole new squad, whilst retaining Branners.

I mean I have been telling everybody that we need at least 6 players even before we start selling CBs and Strikers.

But some people think we will sell Beto, DCL, Holgate, Keane, Godfrey, Doucs, Gana, Pickford and buy a whole new squad, whilst retaining Branners.
It's either early May safety lunacy, or relegation battle punch drunkenness. The situation is frightening. And Dyche has delivered with this half squad of players. A near miracle. And to then wheel him out with even less?
Is there anyone seemingly capable in the U21's? Just for bench filling. Is there a minimum squad number allocated by the rules? Recently we've been able to put an eleven out made entirely of midfielders (nearly*) and now we're here.

Just look at it. Remember all that 'Everton have ruined the transfer market' hokum the bellends in the media were spouting under koeman? what chance the same spivs start with 'Everton have ruined the free transfer market by taking everyone there is'?

Here's my squad analysis:

Key targets:

1)
Keeping Sean Dyche and his management team in check - we desperately needs stability in management
2) Keeping our defensive core alligned: Pickford, Tarkowski and Branthwaite. One of the best core we've had in a very long time
3) Adressing our problems at full backs and midfield

Guys, i think we generally are OK, besides our club is the worst run club in world football and we are an inch away from administration. Things are going on behind the scenes (a potentially another 9 point deduction), and i am scared to death by the involvement of 777. We need loans from them to pay our bills which is crazy, but nonetheless a natural consequence of the chaotic Moshiri-reign since 2016. We are sourrounded by chaos hence it is crucial that we keep our footballteam in check and doesn't shake it too much with another overhaul. Our players (besides Onana) har fully committed and more importantly, the fans are behind the team 100% which is admirable based on how poorly the club is runned.

I am just a bloke from Denmark and I am filled with pride everytime I see the Evertonians - both at home and away. Seeing 5k travelling across the contry and still outloud the home audience is beautiful. Remember, when the situation were toxic a few years ago; Sean Dyche has really succeded in creating a unit of steel that surrounds the team. I think we can't praise him enough, and we should be thankful for his service.

Here we go:

Goalkeeping: 10/10

I don't think we can ask for a better situation. Pickford has been a key player again this season, and Virginia has been solid and convincing when he's been at the pitch. Think Lonergan has to go and Crellin moves up as a third choice.

Right back: 2/10

Nathan Patterson will never be more than a below average PL-player, Godfrey and Young are a horrowshow and Coleman is a finished article. A total revamp needs to be done here; we need to find a strong, fast and technically gifted right back, since DCL desperately needs service from the right side of the pitch. Young has to go, Godfrey stays as a squad player, Patterson stays as back-up and Coleman goes into management.

Left back: 7/10

So proud of the season Mykolenko has delivered. Probably our best performing player in the first half of the season, and we can rely on him as a first choice. Godfrey can stay as a backup, but i would prefer at natural left back as backup, but that is not first priority.

Center back 10/10

Can't remember a better defensive core since Jags/Distin (Yobo, honouble mension). We need to to everything to keep hold on Branthwaite, but if a 70mio offer ticks in, i am afraid that we can't deny it. I would keep Keane as backup, sell Holgate and invest in a cheap reliable back-up. Ben Mee is a free transfer, and would be a great short team solution.

Center midfield:

A crucial area that needs to be fixed immediately - some of you would probably hang me for saying this. But in my opinion - Ross Barkley needs to be our top priority this summer. He has been outstanding this season in a very poor Luton-side. He were by far the best player on the pitch yesterday, and he outplayed Gana, Garner, Doucs and Onana and Gomes didn't stand a chance either. He left us in probably the worst way possible, but we can hope, that he wants to prove himself again. He should def be in the PL Team of the season and he deserved a call up for the EURO 2024. He would bing us calmness and athleticism and would be a great playmaker for us. I think this is a no-brainer, but I am afraid bigger clubs are in for him.

Andre Gomes has to go. He's a top earner and runs like an elderly man. He does bring something to the team, but if he has to stay, it would be at a wage around 40k a week, otherwise he needs to go. Same goes for Onana, which i can't believe are being tracked by bigger clubs. He's a alibiplayer, and can we cash in around 55mio for him, we need to do it NOW. Extend Ganas contract by one year and keep hold on Garner and Doucs for stability reasons.

Regarding Dele Alli, i think we fantasize of seeing the player that we were at Spurs. And to be fair, a 75% of that man would bring quality to our side. I would keep him, but have him on a 100% performance-based contract - a pay as you play contract. Otherwise, we need to get rid.

Wide midfield areas:

We desperately needs a player (or two) that can dribble and get past an opponent, but still has to be a "Dyche-player" in terms of the right personality, work-rate and highly diciplined. I understand why we were into Gnonto (not Kamaldeen tho) and I can see him as ur future star at the left side. McNeil needs to play in central in my opinion, since he lacks tempo and agility. Either from a no 10-position or as an inverted striker from the left side. He shooting ability and passes would be so good for us in terms of being more of a threat in front of the opponents goal.

I think Jack Harrison has been a bit underrated this season. He's work rate has been so important for us, since all opponents see our weakness at right back. He work rate, stability and reliability has earned him a future at our club; not for 20mio - prolly around 8-10 mio. He won't be as important to us if we fix our problems at right back, but i defenitely see a great squad player in him.

Danjuma has to go and Dobbin should be slotted in with more consistent performances. This leaves us with McNeil, Harrison, Dobbin and hopefully Gnonto.

Attacking options:

DCL are becoming more and more himself. He's link up play gets better, his timing in the air is back 100%, his first touch are great. He HAS to stay in the box, but we doesn't get the service he needs. But he still has to remain as our top striker. Chermitis last two performances has impressed me so much, and at the moment are in front of Beto. I would build the future around Chermiti, and keep Beto as as impact player in the squad.

Outs:

- Lonergan (free), Young (free), Coleman (into management), Onana (55), Danjuma (loan expires)

Renewed contracks:

- Gana (1 year-extension), Gomes (a salary deduction around 75%) and Dele (a performance-based contract)

Ins:

-
A first choice right back (15 mio), Ben Mee as a back central defender (free), Ross Barkley (15 mio), Jack Harrison (10 mio) and William Gnonto (25 mio)

= 65 mio which could almost be financed by the sale of Onana.

As i said before guys, i am really into this Everton-side since we see a commited side everytime which we haven't seen in so many years. I don't say, that this squad analysis woukd bring us a european squad next year. But we have battled relegation three years in a row, and i feel Dyche has created a sustainable ground that we need to built on - one brick at a time. That is so important as long as we are under chaotic circumstances. In a couple of seasons, were we hopefully are settled as a club in our new stadium, we could look at a more young and progressive (Thiago Motta) coach to build a new exciting project. But for now, we need to keep the boat stable, and we have the best man in business for that.

Much love to all of you. UTFT!

Aside from overrating Barkley a touch....great post.

Have to keep Branthwaite at all costs. Have to sort out the RB situation finally by signing someone who can play most weeks and isn't 36-38. Also desperately need to sign a pace merchant in the final third. No away win since December 16th highlights this.

I think all three current strikers stay until January and then with six months left on his deal you have to get something for DCL.

It's either early May safety lunacy, or relegation battle punch drunkenness. The situation is frightening. And Dyche has delivered with this half squad of players. A near miracle. And to then wheel him out with even less?
Is there anyone seemingly capable in the U21's? Just for bench filling. Is there a minimum squad number allocated by the rules? Recently we've been able to put an eleven out made entirely of midfielders (nearly*) and now we're here.

Just look at it. Remember all that 'Everton have ruined the transfer market' hokum the bellends in the media were spouting under koeman? what chance the same spivs start with 'Everton have ruined the free transfer market by taking everyone there is'?
We can only name 25 players.

But anybody under a certain age doesnt have to be named in the squad.

As for any fillers, im not sure, Mills was doing ok, but whether he can step up nobody really knows.

We have had Dobbin around the squad and he hasnt had a sniff and Dyche has already basically called all the youth players pony.

We can only name 25 players.

But anybody under a certain age doesnt have to be named in the squad.

As for any fillers, im not sure, Mills was doing ok, but whether he can step up nobody really knows.

We have had Dobbin around the squad and he hasnt had a sniff and Dyche has already basically called all the youth players pony.
It's like that scene in deep impact or armageddon or whatever where the hero looks through the telescope at the huge meteorite hurtling towards earth and that acknowledgement that it's all over, there's nothing to be done. That's this moment with the squad and side as decimated as it is. And then about to get worse. A lot worse.
Maybe BMD can be used for weekly ballet recitals instead.

It's like that scene in deep impact or armageddon or whatever where the hero looks through the telescope at the huge meteorite hurtling towards earth and that acknowledgement that it's all over, there's nothing to be done. That's this moment with the squad and side as decimated as it is. And then about to get worse. A lot worse.
Maybe BMD can be used for weekly ballet recitals instead.
I mean I have had people calling me miserable.

Cos personally I have always had 1 eye on this Summer and I dont see any good outcomes.

The only thing I see available to us is selling Onana, Branners, hoping somebody goes crazy on Pickford or DCL and then trying to funnel as much money away from debt and trying to build a squad.

A bloodbath is how I see this window going.

I fear what sort of team starts our first game in August, cos the majority of our incomings I suspect will happen end of August.

I mean I have had people calling me miserable.

Cos personally I have always had 1 eye on this Summer and I dont see any good outcomes.

The only thing I see available to us is selling Onana, Branners, hoping somebody goes crazy on Pickford or DCL and then trying to funnel as much money away from debt and trying to build a squad.

A bloodbath is how I see this window going.

I fear what sort of team starts our first game in August, cos the majority of our incomings I suspect will happen end of August.
this bit lol

Get this, we're actually in a better place than we were 12 months ago, we've survived early, gone through the P&S lies, and cut what we did last summer to be better financed this. Here comes the Everton that juggernaut.
Even though we've scored very few, with Cal-Lewin, Beto, Chermiti and Dobbin we're actually covered for players up front. With Pickford, Virginia and Crellin we're covered in GK. It's just that everywhere else the larder is bare. Even the mice have moved out.

It comes to something when there's more life left in Goodison than the players to run around on her hallowed turf.

Everton FC - Shambles!

this bit lol

Get this, we're actually in a better place than we were 12 months ago, we've survived early, gone through the P&S lies, and cut what we did last summer to be better financed this. Here comes the Everton that juggernaut.
Even though we've scored very few, with Cal-Lewin, Beto, Chermiti and Dobbin we're actually covered for players up front. With Pickford, Virginia and Crellin we're covered in GK. It's just that everywhere else the larder is bare. Even the mice have moved out.

It comes to something when there's more life left in Goodison than the players to run around on her hallowed turf.

Everton FC - Shambles!
We should release Coleman and Young, loan out Patterson and then buy 2 new Right Backs!!!!

They need to get everything right this summer. There's zero margin for error. We can't be scraping the barrel in August.

If an offer comes in for Branthwaite I'd be telling him we need another year out of him unless someone massively overpays to the point we cannot refuse.

Having him, Tarkowski and Pickford together will be huge.

After that I don't even know where to start. Depends on who we retain but for starters a permanent right back, wide players and a creative midfielder would be nice. Last one usually costs big money though so good luck with that.

We should release Coleman and Young, loan out Patterson and then buy 2 new Right Backs!!!!
Patterson to PSV (or similar) A RB proper and then a utility man for both RB and LB. Need that cover. Neville, Oviedo and to an extent Martina gave us those options when we were struggling. Close to adequate cover is better than emergency hopefuls. To much to ask for a Kancho type RW into the mix at the same time?