Goats squad analysis thread 2024/5

There is no reason that Ashley Young should get a new deal at the age of 39. 39 year olds categorically cannot play Premier League football, even as “emergency backup” (he wouldn’t be, he’d play most games)

Same goes for Coleman who can no longer play 2 games of football without ending up injured. Both players would be a complete waste of a wage.
This is where we need to see a more ruthless Everton and not Kenwright-esque, emotion based decisions. Coleman has been injured for the majority of this season and hasn’t earned a new contract. We can’t afford to give someone a new £60k a week contract because they’ve played here for ages.

Stick a fork in this season, it is done.

It is now time for the best time of the year.

And lets get straight down to bidness.

Manager : Sean Dyche

Goalkeepers (4)
Jordan Pickford (HG)
João Virgínia (HG)
Andy Lonergan (HG)
Billy Crellin (HG)
Right Backs (3)
Séamus Coleman
Nathan Patterson
Ashley Young (HG)

Left Backs (1)
Vitaliy Mykolenko

Centre Backs (5)
James Tarkowski (HG)
Michael Keane (HG)
Ben Godfrey (HG)
Jarrad Branthwaite (UA)
Mason Holgate (HG)

Midfield (6)
Amadou Onana
James Garner (HG)
Idrissa Gueye
Abdoulaye Doucouré
André Gomes
Dele Alli (HG)

Wide Forwards (4)
Dwight McNeil (HG)
Jack Harrison (HG)
Arnaut Danjuma
Lewis Dobbin (UA)

Strikers (4)
Dominic Calvert-Lewin (HG)
Youssef Chermiti (UA)
Beto
Neal Maupay

Total players: 27

Players purchased so far:

Players culled so far:

Non-HG players: 12
Home-grown players: 13
Underage players: 2

This is the squad as it stands, on the 1st July if not before our loan players will return and contracts will expire.

I will make changes at that time, I just had some time and wanted to have a first draft I could change, cos I have probably made lots of errors, so the good people of Got will highlight them for me!
Always enjoy reading this on the karzie.

If Onana leaves we also need some CMs, hell even if he doesnt we probably need a player there for sure.

So for me we need at least

1 RB
1 LB
1 CM
2 wide forwards

And thats even before we start addressing the potential gap in defence a potential JB sale would create.
I just hope Thelwells Recruitment manager has been looking for players with good potential as we will be selling out best players for the foreseeable and need to get into mindset that we'll become a stepping stone club until the new stadium revenues really start kicking in.

The discussions been had between us all that the main saleable assets are JP, JB and AO. The fear is that 2 out of 3 will have to go to fund the rebuild of the squad needed before we start next season. We also have to remember that we sell early to get the £££ in the bank then buy in the bargain basement section on 31st August meaning we've usually played 4 Premier Games before we get our squad assembled.

The need for a functioning productive youth program and u23 team couldn't be more noticeable than now. We need that Production Line more than ever currently.

Lets hope for at least 6 out of 9 points to finish the season though before we polish the shot glasses ready for the inevitable Domestos chasers we'll be partaking in over the summer. (Other Quality brands are available)

Out:

Lonergan, Young, Holgate, Dele, Gomez, Onana, Harrison, and EITHER Danjuma or Dobbin, and I'm gonna say it D.... Beto and Maupay

In:

1 x LB cover for Myko
1 x holding midfielder for Onana
1 x wide player for Harrison
1 x forward to play alongside DCL... could be Beto though if we're darn jiggered for cash, which from some things I've read online seems Everton FC may have some financial constraints next season.

So 11 out (of whom only 4 are semi-regular).
And four first team players in. And those wages for Dele and Gomez and cash from Onana would go a long way spent well.

Sean Dyche:

Thank you for helping keep us Prem.
Thank you for managing through the accumulated and insulting squad of crap accumulated through BK and Mosh's manager merry go around
Thank you for this thread where can see shabite like Dele, Maupay etc heading out the door and enabling our squad to be rebuilt on principles of careful spending and HOPEFULLY A FEW MORE HOME GROWN PLAYERS

Out:

Lonergan, Young, Holgate, Dele, Gomez, Onana, Harrison, and EITHER Danjuma or Dobbin, and I'm gonna say it D.... Beto and Maupay

In:

1 x LB cover for Myko
1 x holding midfielder for Onana
1 x wide player for Harrison
1 x forward to play alongside DCL... could be Beto though if we're darn jiggered for cash, which from some things I've read online seems Everton FC may have some financial constraints next season.

So 11 out (of whom only 4 are semi-regular).
And four first team players in. And those wages for Dele and Gomez and cash from Onana would go a long way spent well.

Sean Dyche:

Thank you for helping keep us Prem.
Thank you for managing through the accumulated and insulting squad of crap accumulated through BK and Mosh's manager merry go around
Thank you for this thread where can see shabite like Dele, Maupay etc heading out the door and enabling our squad to be rebuilt on principles of careful spending and HOPEFULLY A FEW MORE HOME GROWN PLAYERS

How about Coleman, Keane and Doucoure?

Careful, as I had pretty much the same post as you but was laughed at for suggesting getting rid of overpaid rubbish and taking a big fee for Onana.

This is the summer we have been waiting for, for so many years now. Virtually all of the deadwood will be gone.

If we can sell Maupay and perhaps buy-out Holgate that leaves us with a contracted squad that is almost entirely useful!

The key will be finding cheaper replacements and loans. Likely selling one or two of Onana, Pickford, Branthwaite (in that order if I had my choice).

Should likely resign Geuye and perhaps Coleman (if very cheap wages). I would not touch Danjuma, even for free. Not sure I want Harrison either, unless very cheap.

Assuming we renew Gana (not preference, I just think we will) and bin the rest of OOC players, sell/loan Keane (I know), Holgate (I KNOW), Maupay, and Onana and somehow persuade Jaz Braz to hang on another year, I reckon we need:

RB
CB
LB
CM x 2
AM
RF/RW
LF/LW

Yikes.

I'm sure the club will see Godfrey as cover right across the back line, so those 3 positions will probably necessitate 1 or 2 signings. Not ideal being so thin in CM if Gana is one of our only options; Ndidi would be an excellent signing, but if he's already being courted by better teams we can probably kiss it goodbye.

I'm gonna shut up now because I am depressed.

There is no reason that Ashley Young should get a new deal at the age of 39. 39 year olds categorically cannot play Premier League football, even as “emergency backup” (he wouldn’t be, he’d play most games)

Same goes for Coleman who can no longer play 2 games of football without ending up injured. Both players would be a complete waste of a wage.
I hope Coleman sticks around but not as a player. Give him a Baines type role. Young just needs to retire.

Assuming we renew Gana (not preference, I just think we will) and bin the rest of OOC players, sell/loan Keane (I know), Holgate (I KNOW), Maupay, and Onana and somehow persuade Jaz Braz to hang on another year, I reckon we need:

RB
CB
LB
CM x 2
AM
RF/RW
LF/LW

Yikes.

I'm sure the club will see Godfrey as cover right across the back line, so those 3 positions will probably necessitate 1 or 2 signings. Not ideal being so thin in CM if Gana is one of our only options; Ndidi would be an excellent signing, but if he's already being courted by better teams we can probably kiss it goodbye.

I'm gonna shut up now because I am depressed.
Need a Neville/Oviedo type signing that can step up short term in a few positions. A decent all rounder will play all year next season.
We won't be getting mega money for Onana, he hasn't excelled and with a few sides feeling the pinch of the P&S bullspit there'll be a lot more caution about.
Nominal fee Holgate, might be lucky to break even on Maupay, think Keane stays as backup because he wont get similar terms anywhere else, and Branthwaite is a season to early, another 12 months and a crack at an international competition and we'd hold all the cards. It's not to be.
Patterson needs fixing one way or the other. I'd go hell for leather with RW the priority. That spot will determine how we set up next term, Cal-Lewin and Doucoure or Cal-Lewin and Beto. If it's for two up top as plan A then another super athlete to work alongside Gana to out work oppositions midfields.

To do any of this with cashflow affecting the club right now let alone in summer is a very bleak prospect.
'You'll never win anything with kids' - some twit* in the 90's
'You'll struggle to survive with half a squad topped up with kids' - some other tit in the 2020's.

This is the summer we have been waiting for, for so many years now. Virtually all of the deadwood will be gone.

If we can sell Maupay and perhaps buy-out Holgate that leaves us with a contracted squad that is almost entirely useful!

The key will be finding cheaper replacements and loans. Likely selling one or two of Onana, Pickford, Branthwaite (in that order if I had my choice).

Should likely resign Geuye and perhaps Coleman (if very cheap wages). I would not touch Danjuma, even for free. Not sure I want Harrison either, unless very cheap.
Like the thinking, would be ideal to keep JP and Brant to keep us up next year though...