Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Moyes to west ham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Killed three football clubs.

Yeah, well in Moyesie for winning one of your last 2 games.
Which three clubs are these Dave? Man Utd who he left not far off were LVG did points wise or how Jose did in his first season league wise? Perhaps you mean Sunderland the club that was dead and buried long before he arrived and continues to plummet long after he left? Even with Real Sociedad, they finished 6th last season in La Liga so despite the fact that they are once again struggling this season I hardly think you can credit Moyes with "destroying" them.

That's all very well but I was alive in the 80's and that was the era I was referencing.

2 league titles an all that.
He didn't take over the 80's team though, he took over a team a decade later after the reputational damage had occurred over that time.

Regular relegation battles and all that.

You talk about our rep as a sleeping giant... Our reputation at the time was no more than an easy 3 points for the opposition.

Maybe Moyes didn't 'destroy' all three clubs he had after leaving us but the bottom line is he took all three backwards rapidly, didn't see out a full 12 months at any of them and fans of all three clubs were utterly delighted to see the back of him.

And his arrival at West Ham was met with complete derision. He’s completely turned that around, and turned their record signing from a complete and utter flop, to a cult hero, playing out of his skin! Credit where credit’s due

He didn't take over the 80's team though, he took over a team a decade later after the reputational damage had occurred over that time.

You talk about our rep as a sleeping giant... Our reputation at the time was no more than an easy 3 points for the opposition.

Go ed lid you win

Maybe Moyes didn't 'destroy' all three clubs he had after leaving us but the bottom line is he took all three backwards rapidly, didn't see out a full 12 months at any of them and fans of all three clubs were utterly delighted to see the back of him.
Moyes and Big Sam are a much of a muchness. We can't slate Sam and then pine for Moyes in the next breath. Neither manager has ever achieved anything of note.

Moyes and Big Sam are a much of a muchness. We can't slate Sam and then pine for Moyes in the next breath. Neither manager has ever achieved anything of note.
Anyone who actually watches football, never mind giving a cursory glance to their career statistics, would tell you that is complete bollocks.

Moyes may have gone for a physical, disciplined approach, but he has never been a long ball defensive coach like Big Sam.

His record in the transfer market alone puts him a few rungs above Sam.

Moyes had reached his ceiling here, 6th was the best he was ever going to do. We had to try something different to push on, in the end Moyes forced that on us anyway but it should have happened sooner. Moyes had done what he was capable of, he had nothing left to offer and should have been fired. Finishing 6th year after year is fine but success in football is measured by trophies won and Moyes was never ever going to win a trophy with us. The fact that those who followed haven't won one either is irrelevant to where we found ourselves with Moyes, that cup semi against the rs showed he was done here, he should have been fired within an hour of it finishing, the fact he wasn't shows where the real issue lay at the time and still lays now

Anyone who actually watches football, never mind giving a cursory glance to their career statistics, would tell you that is complete bollocks.

Moyes may have gone for a physical, disciplined approach, but he has never been a long ball defensive coach like Big Sam.

His record in the transfer market alone puts him a few rungs above Sam.
Nah they're both average managers mate. But Sam is perfect for keeping us up, we gotta dream bigger in summer though. No more Koeman's or BFS, we need a Klopp or Mourinho. We can't keep hiring turds.

Moyes had reached his ceiling here, 6th was the best he was ever going to do. We had to try something different to push on, in the end Moyes forced that on us anyway but it should have happened sooner. Moyes had done what he was capable of, he had nothing left to offer and should have been fired. Finishing 6th year after year is fine but success in football is measured by trophies won and Moyes was never ever going to win a trophy with us. The fact that those who followed haven't won one either is irrelevant to where we found ourselves with Moyes, that cup semi against the rs showed he was done here, he should have been fired within an hour of it finishing, the fact he wasn't shows where the real issue lay at the time and still lays now

Agree with most of that but that was not the thread of my debate. It was said Moyes took our reputation backwards, I was just disagreeing.
I wouldn't want him back, but I think he did a really good job under difficult circumstances and he did better than 6th more times than he finished 6th, but I take your point about a glass ceiling, mind you it's hard to break through that with as little money to spend as he had.

He was unlikely to win a cup, going ahead in the final and a couple of semi finals was as close as he got, and likely to of stayed that way, may of got there a few more times but we were unlikely to win the things... but that being said, we have only won one in over 30 years so it's not like they come in that often.

We were right to try something different but he was always going to be our hardest personnel to replace, a few hundred mil and 3 managers later, and we are still getting neck ache looking up at the glass ceiling so many mocked him for reaching.

Nah they're both average managers mate. But Sam is perfect for keeping us up, we gotta dream bigger in summer though. No more Koeman's or BFS, we need a Klopp or Mourinho. We can't keep hiring turds.

Lad, stop chatting wham. I'm going to pull you up every time I see it.

Who's your choice mate?

And don't say Diego Simeone or Tuchel. They wouldn't touch the Everton job with a barge pole.

Big Sam is about par for us right now.

You'll all be changing your tune about him when we're 8th-10th by February.

I seem to remember us finishing 4th with Moyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back