Confirmed Signing Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Granted but he's only just turned 26. Salah signed for that at 25 having done very little of note in his career at that point. Failed at Chelsea, was better at Roma but it wasn't like all the big teams where banging at the door for him. Sometimes players just blossom a little later in their careers - they just need the right environment. I'm not suggesting for a moment that Maupay will be half the player Salah is, or even that Everton is the right place for him to flourish. I'm just saying I think the guy has something about him and just because he's a 26yr old that hasn't set the world alight doesn't mean he can't go on to be a great player.

Didier Drogba did very little in his career until he signed for Chelsea at 26.

The team last season was poor and only just avoided relegation. We have sold our best player and top scorer. There were gaping holes all over the squad. With limited money to fill them. We have an injury prone squad and already have four or five players missing. This summer we needed a defence, midfield and attack with £60m to spend.

i personally feel that it will be next summer when the turnaround starts in earnest. Mina, Gbamin, Allan, Doucoure Davies and Rondon’s contracts all expire. The recruitment has been so appalling that survival is an achievement. Of course I want better, i remember the good times, but I am also a realist, it protects me from insanity. All I can see is a finish somewhere from 14-17.
14-17 is an optimistic range, 14-20 is more realistic.

There's a difference between it being an achievement and it being the immediate objective. If Europe and the cups are out of reach, the only remaining objectives are survive and improve.
But finishing down there isn't an improvement, it's maintenance. And the rot setting in.a

Agreed but think people get too bogged down by resale value. Not every signing we make needs to be sold for profit. We'd never have signed Barry if that was the case.
We can barely sell any player for profit. Not even our Brazilian

But finishing down there isn't an improvement, it's maintenance. And the rot setting in.a
I'm not saying finishing down there is an improvement - obviously it's not - but being better positioned to climb the league table in the next few seasons would be. If we trade one contract and get back three or four players under contract for the next four seasons that can push us up the table and be sold on at a profit, this is a positive.

Not that I'm saying Maupay would be a player fitting that strategy, mind.

I'm not saying finishing down there is an improvement - obviously it's not - but being better positioned to climb the league table in the next few seasons would be. If we trade one contract and get back three or four players under contract for the next four seasons that can push us up the table and be sold on at a profit, this is a positive.

Not that I'm saying Maupay would be a player fitting that strategy, mind.
Mate, the story of this club since Kenwright took over is one of managed decline. Nothing I've seen since has changed my mind. We're now in the high risk end game. Moshiri will take us down, he is our Randy Lerner, I've been saying it for years. I'm old enough to remember when NSNO wasn't just a branding tool and had some relevance to this club. Now it's an ironic joke and I'm not surprised the club is trying to shuffle it under the rug.

Mate, the story of this club since Kenwright took over is one of managed decline. Nothing I've seen since has changed my mind. We're now in the high risk end game. Moshiri will take us down, he is our Randy Lerner, I've been saying it for years. I'm old enough to remember when NSNO wasn't just a branding tool and had some relevance to this club. Now it's an ironic joke and I'm not surprised the club is trying to shuffle it under the rug.
I'm not disagreeing with you about that. If you want to call Kenwright the Glazers writ small, and argue the point well, I'm going to have a hard time countering that argument.

I just don't think the fume over the history does us any favors when evaluating how to turn the club around right now.

I'm not disagreeing with you about that. If you want to call Kenwright the Glazers writ small, and argue the point well, I'm going to have a hard time countering that argument.

I just don't think the fume over the history does us any favors when evaluating how to turn the club around right now.
My point is they are not even trying to turn us around. The goal is to simply sustain us in the PL with the minimum amount of new investment so they can get the stadium built and get us sold off for maximum profit. Does anything about our current strategy of selling anyone who contributed anything being sold and, with the exception of Onana, replacing them with low cost PL also rans scream improvement. I mean Neal Maupay and Che Adams, Jesus Christ, if that isn't a downgrade on Richarlison and Gordon I don't know what would be. Our forwards, if we sign those two sadsacks, will be Maupay, Adams and Rondon. Drink that in.

Status
Not open for further replies.