£ $ €............

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a neutral I cant believe your comments I thought Everton gave it their all sometimes it just doesnt happen

Should get behind your team mate

I really dont want to see that name to be honest mate. Can you change it for a week or so?

we need to replace osman to weak and slow offered nothing today a winger with loads of pace is what we need

Not to be contrary or anything, but Andrei isn't totally wrong. It wasn't a great performance at all. Chelsea fully controlled us, and at no point after the first goal did it look like we had a chance. Fair play to Chelsea, they were very good. But we looked poor at times, and almost in awe of Chelsea. Really, we were given a lesson in football, and I'm glad it wasn't more than 2-1.

Obviously I'm still proud of the team, especially Moyes' input to it all.

Oh, and Saha was fantastic today, one of just two Everton players that looked liked he would be at home in the opposing team (Fellaini is the other one).

Not to be contrary or anything, but Andrei isn't totally wrong. It wasn't a great performance at all. Chelsea fully controlled us, and at no point after the first goal did it look like we had a chance. Fair play to Chelsea, they were very good. But we looked poor at times, and almost in awe of Chelsea. Really, we were given a lesson in football, and I'm glad it wasn't more than 2-1.

Obviously I'm still proud of the team, especially Moyes' input to it all.

Oh, and Saha was fantastic today, one of just two Everton players that looked liked he would be at home in the opposing team (Fellaini is the other one).

The type of money Chelsea pay get's you not only a big talent but also, invariably, a player with a big match mentality. Chelsea went a goal behind but never looked flustered - supremely confident in taking the game back to us straight away. I think we mere mortals fail to appreciate the severe pressure our players would have been under to shoulder the responsibility of building on or at least protecting that early strike in a game of such magnitude, and that pressure brings mistakes. This wasn't Goodison or Stamford Bridge in the league on a weekday night.

Despite our deficiencies, we did alright. (y)

The type of money Chelsea pay get's you not only a big talent but also, invariably, a player with a big match mentality. Chelsea went a goal behind but never looked flustered - supremely confident in taking the game back to us straight away. I think we mere mortals fail to appreciate the severe pressure our players would have been under to shoulder the responsibility of building on or at least protecting that early strike in a game of such magnitude, and that pressure brings mistakes. This wasn't Goodison or Stamford Bridge in the league on a weekday night.

Despite our deficiencies, we did alright. (y)

I wasn't really impressed, Dave. I'm not embarrassed, just not proud of that particular performance. I think we could have ruffled them more, taken a slightly more physical approach when it became clear we were playing the good Chelsea.

Bear in mind that we got a very, very lucky goal. On the other hand, Chelsea scored 3 perfectly good goals, and could have scored more if they had had to step up up a gear. The game appeared to be totally effortless from Chelsea's perspective.

But as mentioned, I'm not embarrassed, I'm just not about to start professing utter admiration for the 90 minutes I saw today.

I wasn't really impressed, Dave. I'm not embarrassed, just not proud of that particular performance. I think we could have ruffled them more, taken a slightly more physical approach when it became clear we were playing the good Chelsea.

Bear in mind that we got a very, very lucky goal. On the other hand, Chelsea scored 3 perfectly good goals, and could have scored more if they had had to step up up a gear. The game appeared to be totally effortless from Chelsea's perspective.

But as mentioned, I'm not embarrassed, I'm just not about to start professing utter admiration for the 90 minutes I saw today.

I appreciate and respect what you say, Neb. I can only offer in reply that the days of teams making up for an imbalance of talent by getting in the faces of the opposition are well and truly dead. Imagine the challenges from Parkinson in the '95 final that dictated the mood of the game that day going without caution today! Not a chance.

We had a shot there today, but at least a game like this reveals warts'n'all the places where you're greatly exposed by gifted teams. Chelsea weren't arseing around there today and they brought their best game out. That might just have done us a big favour for the future.

Remember our 2 weakest links (Osman and Hibbert) wouldn't have started if we had some sembelence of a healthy squad.

Yak and Arteta maybe wouldn't have won it for us but at the very least Arteta could have taken some pressure off us in defense, and Yaks presence could have prevented Malouda and Cole from pitching a tent and camping out in our 1/3 of pitch and intern allowing Cahill to push up and perhaps get a hold of Fellani's headers. Yak has also had some fine games against chelsea.

We defo need a RW or a RB and perhaps someone like Hunt to provide some toughness in the squad but the key is staying healthy. Remember the 04-05 side would get its doors blown off by our current squad, we have improved the side greatly since then. The difference was the 04-05 side stayed healthy.

As others have mentioned, the Chelsea squad is full of players with big match experience. Champions League finals and World Cup winners. Our guys just don't have that, but we're getting there. I'm sure the Carling semi last year helped, and this match yesterday will help a lot too. All about learning as a team and as a club. Look how long it took Man Utd to do well in Europe. You have to learn how to belong at a particular level, and I think clear progress has been made compared to last year, but we're not quite there yet on the biggest stage. Roll on next season.

Good points Bruce. Also agree totally with Dave. Organisation and motivation will take you so far but we have to realise that managers of the top 4 are no slouches at organising and motivating their top class (expensive) players. It was frustrating to watch yesterday and when you aren't creating chances it's disheartening. but as I said on another post, Barcelona didn't have a shot on target in 90 minutes.

Experience is a must these days. And if you can't buy players that have it, then you need to compete in tournaments and so forth to get it. Our first session in Europe took a quick ending, but the year after we did well. We have started to show international experience and with the addition of Fellaini & Jacobsen this season we got two more that had that.

We've started to go further in national cups, semifinal last year and a final this year. We have started to show a winning mentality when going one goal down. We have a fairly young team with only a few players that will end their careers due to old age in the coming seasons. But many of our youngsters have gotten experience already.

If we can add 2-3 players with experience of international club football this summer without loosing any current squadplayers, I think we are in fairly good shape. A RB, RW and a playmaker would be very nice.

As others have mentioned, the Chelsea squad is full of players with big match experience. Champions League finals and World Cup winners. Our guys just don't have that, but we're getting there. I'm sure the Carling semi last year helped, and this match yesterday will help a lot too. All about learning as a team and as a club. Look how long it took Man Utd to do well in Europe. You have to learn how to belong at a particular level, and I think clear progress has been made compared to last year, but we're not quite there yet on the biggest stage. Roll on next season.

That's the most sensible thing I've read on this thread. To say that they wanted it more than us is unbelievable. No, Chelsea were not fantastic but they were better on the day and that's all that counted. To say that we were a disgrace is very harsh indeed.
How many players set out to lose a Cup Final? They gave their best on the day and it wasnt good enough for whatever reason. The game exposed the weaknesses in our team and we must move on from there.
Disgrace my arse!

Apart from being out played by much better players i do think we made it easy for them to push right up the field. after our goal in the 1st minute i can't remember us stringing any sort of possession together. we jusk kept giving the ball back cheapley.

Hibbert was getting skinned everytime, osman didn't turn up so this made our right side weak and exposed to which chelsea took full advantage. i think moysey let his heart rule his head with hibbert.

second half he replaced hibbert with jacobsen and he managed to keep there winger quiet (with no help from ossie). i thought at half time moysey would have moved neville to right back and replaced him with rodwell in the middle (we where desperate for a player to calm things down and think about retaining possession).

After the game and on the journey home i was seething with our performance, but after sleeping on it and reading some of the posts on here i agree it was always going to be difficult against a top class team like chelsea.

That's the most sensible thing I've read on this thread. To say that they wanted it more than us is unbelievable. No, Chelsea were not fantastic but they were better on the day and that's all that counted. To say that we were a disgrace is very harsh indeed.
How many players set out to lose a Cup Final? They gave their best on the day and it wasnt good enough for whatever reason. The game exposed the weaknesses in our team and we must move on from there.
Disgrace my arse!

Not harsh at all, this was our 1st final in 14yrs and we managed 1 shot on target (The goal). Cech could have got his deckchair out and slapped on a bit of suntan lotion.
That is a disgrace, its not like we cant play against Chelsea, it was virtually the same 2 teams who played 3 days after the semi and we controlled the game and should have won. So it comes down to 2 things, either Chelsea got so much better (We have already established they didnt) or our performance got weak and we froze. Simply not good enough and embarrassing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back