4-2-3-1

Change of formation?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The title got my hopes up for a thread about Ted Rogers...

Anyway, I reckon formations/systems should change depending on the weaknesses of the opposition and how is best to exploit them while playing to our players' strengths.

Ted Rodgers was the first thing I thought about when I saw this thread title lol

We need Dusty Bin as the "1" in this formation.

we where poor all pre-season and in my opinion the most creative we looked was the second half vs Celta Vigo when we changed from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-3-1-2 (or a diamond 4-4-2 if you like) it was...

Robles

Stones Duffy Distin Hibbert
Gibson McCarthy Osman
Barkley
Naismith McGeady
I've been saying for months that i'd like to see that again with players like

Howard

Coleman Stones Jags Baines
Besic McCarthy Barkley
Mirallas
Lukaku Eto'o​

Is is just me or is anyone sick of seeing us using this formation for every single game? I don't know what it is but since last season it appears 90% of teams are obsessed with playing this. Now, I will admit, it works when played correctly and when you have the right players. Do we? I don't think so any more, no.

I loathe seeing our line-up before kick-off because it's always "right I have 6 CM's, 3 LB's and a GK... let's cram them into a nice 4-2-3-1!". To play this formation correctly you need two proper wingers (see: Swansea) and we have no decent ones to call upon (I don't personally class Mirallas as a winger any more).

Now would you as an Everton fan like us to continue mangling the team to fit this formation until we get the right players, or would you rather us adopt a new formation? If so which formation(s) is your preference and why.

Personally I'd like to see us try one of these two until we get the right players in:

Hybrid 4-3-3 which allows Garbutt to play for his set pieces and crossing but also allows us to ditch Barry and stop putting non-wingers on the wing. Keep Barkley in a "free" role too. Mirallas swapped for other strikers if needed.

View attachment 5934

5-2-1-2 akin to Mexico/Netherlands in the World Cup. Utilises our wing-backs with less responsibility on them defending (hopefully) whilst also adding the required shielding and keeps Barkley free to concentrate on attacking. Stones can be used as a sweeper like Marquez did bringing the ball out and keeping the tempo. Also allows us to play a slightly higher line and more importantly - no wingers! Can use Eto'o/Naismith/Koné instead of Mirallas but personally I think he's arguably the best finisher in the squad. Need a new CB to do this (probably two) and also a new GK.

View attachment 5935

What do you guys think? Or should I just go back to pretending to do work at work?

Costa Rica played five at the back at the World Cup as well.

I like the idea of a 4-3-3, think it fits our personnel better.

Five at the back is an interesting thought and the formation did have a great run at the World Cup, but I kind of doubt its success in the Prem. It requires the wingbacks to do a LOT of running. Hard to sustain over an entire season. A bit easier for a handful of games over the summer.

we where poor all pre-season and in my opinion the most creative we looked was the second half vs Celta Vigo when we changed from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-3-1-2 (or a diamond 4-4-2 if you like) it was...

Robles

Gibson McCarthy Osman
Barkley
Naismith McGeady

Howard

Besic McCarthy Barkley
Mirallas
Lukaku Eto'o
I agree with the op about the change in formation and would have this as the team. Besic and McCarthy filling in for the fullbacks

Robles

Gibson McCarthy Osman
Barkley
Naismith McGeady

Howard

Besic McCarthy Barkley
Mirallas
Lukaku Eto'o​
and when barkley drifts inside like he always does we have no width and 4 through the middle again like against west ham.

and when barkley drifts inside like he always does we have no width and 4 through the middle again like against west ham.

Agree that on paper it looks like there’s a lack of width in that team but the team across the park proved last year that the likes of Aly Cissokho and Jon Flannagan can provide width in the same formation then I’m sure Leighton Baines and Seamus Coleman won’t have a problem if the formation is employed correctly.

2:3:5 it worked for Stanley Matthews and Billy Wright

or

It's all just numbers and means nothing if you haven't got decent 11 players playing well in a balanced formation.

Its the playing of people out of position and out of form that causes a lot of the problems. I would go with this when everyone is fit.
Howard
Coleman Stones Jagielka Baines
Besic McCarthy
Mirallas Barkley Oviedo
Lukaku

I would get Mirallas and Oviedo to switch wings depending on the opponents strength as to whether we want them cutting in to create over laps or go wide themselves. Barkley must play the number 10 as he doesn't have the discipline to play deeper and is completely wasted on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back