6 + 2 Point Deductions

Not logged in for a few days and I cba going through the however many pages of this thread I’ve missed, so apologies if this has been answered already…

Based on the accounting period which has dropped off for P&S, we have about £40million loss 'wiggle room'.

We’ve posted £89 million loss, however we don’t know how much of that can be deducted from P&S calculations. Costs towards the stadium have surely played a big part in this?

We made a profit in player trading.

Our wage bill has decreased.

We’ve obviously lost a chunk of revenue due to loss of sponsorship.

Am I naive in thinking that (from a P&S point of view), we’re not as deep in the brown stuff as some people are thinking? We obviously won’t know what allowable deductions there are until the outcome of our hearing, but infrastructure costs are 'allowed' aren’t they?

For the record, I’m not trying to excuse the utter mess our owner has got us into.
I don't think it'll be too bad. Some (including the City stirrer on Talksport) have estimated that this means a £25-30m breach based on last year's deductibles minus Covid, but I can't see how it's that routine. In 2018/19, when we lost £112m, there were £53m worth of deductibles. We won't know until the report, I guess.

This kind of loss should have been expected though since the appeal report confirmed some of the numbers. It doesn't mean it's definitely going to be a bigger points deduction, but it certainly means the club is in deep trouble.

Receiving a 4 point deduction, in line with the punishment given to Forest, who had a greater loss than us last time, sounds reasonable, and would leave us with a chance of survival should we actually get a few wins behind us in the coming weeks.

The club statement from 15th Jan now pees me right off. Emboldens the fans disgust of the PL when they’ve just handed in accounts revealing even more searing incompetence. Might say that nothing written is incorrect, but certainly hides the scale of their stupidity from fans. I think complaining about double jeopardy and lack of documented process following the introduction of the fast track timetable for this period would have more weight if the club weren’t running around aimlessly with soiled pants round its ankles.

“Everton Football Club acknowledges the Premier League’s decision to refer a breach of Profit & Sustainability rules (PSR) for the assessment period ending with the 2022/23 season to an independent Premier League commission.

This relates to a period which covers seasons 2019/20, 2020/21, 2021/22 and 2022/23. It therefore includes financial periods (2019/20, 2020/21 and 2021/22) for which the Club has already received a 10-point sanction. The Club is currently appealing that sanction.

The Premier League does not have guidelines which prevent a club being sanctioned for alleged breaches in financial periods which have already been subject to punishment, unlike other governing bodies, including the EFL. As a result - and because of the Premier League’s new commitment to deal with such matters “in-season” - the Club is in a position where it has had no option but to submit a PSR calculation which remains subject to change, pending the outcome of the appeal.

The Club must now defend another Premier League complaint which includes the very same financial periods for which it has already been sanctioned, before that appeal has even been heard. The Club takes the view that this results from a clear deficiency in the Premier League’s rules.

Everton can assure its fans that it will continue to defend its position during the ongoing appeal and, should it be required to do so, at any future commission - and that the impact on supporters will be reflected as part of that process.”

We had a big chance of winning several games in this terrible run, it's only the last two we've been properly off it. Can't see it is bad hyperbole.
I genuinely can’t see where another win is coming from. Newcastle will do us tomorrow, Luton will beat us and even Sheffield Utd will get at least a draw out of us. They should’ve beaten us the time out.

Could a second points deduction be suspended and then tacked onto Administration deduction next season? Imagine finishing a season on negative points. So far as sporting firsts go, it'll take some beating.

Given these latest loses even with possible allowances there is absolutely no way the club will be able to use the "we've been doing things better" excuse.

No wonder Rabinowitz hasn't worked with the club on this 2nd breach.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back