Homepage Article 7 Points After Seven

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll only have fifteen games on the books on Christmas (sixteen if they work Arsenal back in prior) thanks to the World Cup, so we'll have to cross-compare a little later than we usually do. Those are both good indicators, though.

The quality of the opposition eases up a bit in the next month and a half, and the side's quality is headed in the right direction, so my guess would be that we'll be on a relatively comfortable points total come mid-November. I would think we'll collect ten or better from the next eight. Things could be a little uncomfortable a month from now, but we should pick up some wins from the softer run of fixtures right before the break.
I’m not sure about the games getting easier to be honest. The 7 we’ve had is probably a reasonable cross section of the league and the next few are the same. I wouldn’t say this has been a notably difficult start to the season fixture wise, probably the opposite if anything.

I’m not sure about the games getting easier to be honest. The 7 we’ve had is probably a reasonable cross section of the league and the next few are the same. I wouldn’t say this has been a notably difficult start to the season fixture wise, probably the opposite if anything.
The four before the break (home to Palace, away to Fulham, home to Leicester, away to Bournemouth) are ones where we can do some damage. The four before that are significantly more difficult, which is why I say things could look not-so-great a month from now.

Realistically, we'll probably do what clubs usually do, which is scoop up an unexpected win somewhere and egregiously punt one during the softer run. I think the point still stands that three wins and a draw, or better, between now and the break is not unrealistic given the trend line.

The other thing is, I took a cross section of our games last season, top 6 v nine top 6, and our ppg is about the same (and if you include Leicester in top 6, we may have even been better against top teams).

So for a multitude of reasons, we dont necessarily benefit from fixtures or have it drawing us back.

I havent looked back much beyond last season, but suspect it will be similar, as we seemed to lose a lot of what seemed winnable games.

Long story short, I wouldnt get too pre-occupied with fixtures. To me the league has a couple of outstanding teams, half a dozen good ones and the remaining 12-14 are much of a muchness. A couple then tend to get cut adrift as the season goes on, who we tend to find a way not to defeat!

The other thing is, I took a cross section of our games last season, top 6 v nine top 6, and our ppg is about the same (and if you include Leicester in top 6, we may have even been better against top teams).

So for a multitude of reasons, we dont necessarily benefit from fixtures or have it drawing us back.

I havent looked back much beyond last season, but suspect it will be similar, as we seemed to lose a lot of what seemed winnable games.

Long story short, I wouldnt get too pre-occupied with fixtures. To me the league has a couple of outstanding teams, half a dozen good ones and the remaining 12-14 are much of a muchness. A couple then tend to get cut adrift as the season goes on, who we tend to find a way not to defeat!
Yeah you’re right. I don’t think it’s a coincidence either. We struggle to impose ourselves on games and have them played on our terms; when playing lesser teams we can really struggle to break them down and at home that can lead to the fans getting exasperated. Against better teams we can sit deep and play on the counter which has suited us better.

Whatever the progress on the pitch the Red Echo continues to spew negativity about Everton. They never give up. Regarding the RS articles everything is positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.