Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

A Disgrace

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemooner_mcfc

Player Valuation: £1.5m
Council refuses permission for "offensive" Manchester United headstone

A council has rejected an application to install a headstone featuring the Manchester United emblem in a cemetery, fearing it could be "offensive" to rival fans.

Officials from Edenbridge Town Council in Kent were worried that if supporters of other teams were interred next to the burial site at Edenbridge Cemetary, the memorial could "upset" grieving families paying their respects.

Councillor Clive Pearlman said yesterday: "The key issue here is respect to the other people using the graveyard.

If your nearest and dearest is buried somewhere next to a Manchester United supporter and your nearest and dearest hates Manchester United, it is all in the interest of harmony."

The application was for a 2ft wide headstone with a 14in wide Manchester United design, which the council decided would not be in keeping with other memorials in the cemetery.

The family who applied for the Manchester United memorial, who have not been named, have now been asked to downsize the crest on the headstone to 110sq cm.

Cllr Richard Davison said: "We have a problem with the size, it's going to be enormous.

"We are not a committee that is supposed to regulate taste. We have got to go back to the rules as they stand at the moment."

The decision has caused a backlash from some of the town's inhabitants, who say people should be able to decorate headstones however they choose.

Melissa Wallis, who was asked not to leave photographs or ornaments at her brother Tony's grave, described the move as "silly".

She said: "I think it's quite hurtful. I refused to move a photo because I do not see the problem with it, it isn't harming anyone."

Builder John Wallace added: "It should not be left to councils to interfere with a man's dying wishes."

Cllr Terri Scanes, council chairman, said: "The Town Council considers every memorial application individually, in light of the cemetery rules which are designed to achieve a visual harmony.

"After discussion, councillors decided to permit the badge provided it was smaller, in keeping with other types of badge featured on memorials."

This is not the first time in recent months that cemetery etiquette has come under scrutiny. In November the town council left notes on plots requesting the uprooting of memorial trees.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7019050/Council-refuses-perm...

ok im a city fan but i think its a disgrace = ok if it was something racist or really bad then i agree but its not that bad really is it ?

discuss

Its pathetic, why can't the fella be remembered by the crest that meant so much to him. AND if you go the cem you go to see who you're going to see, not for a nose at the other graves!

Its pathetic, why can't the fella be remembered by the crest that meant so much to him. AND if you go the cem you go to see who you're going to see, not for a nose at the other graves!

Correct hay, golfers, darters, anglers all have their allegiances shown why not supporters................never any objection to the military either....

Correct hay, golfers, darters, anglers all have their allegiances shown why not supporters................never any objection to the military either....

It is a graveyard though, you should have some standards otherwise you just end up with a load of tat, of which this is an example. I mean, look at those russian mob gravestones.

It is a graveyard though, you should have some standards otherwise you just end up with a load of tat, of which this is an example. I mean, look at those russian mob gravestones.

so why put angels and stuff, some find that objectionable. People visit graves to be near a deceased loved one not examine all and sundry. Some other sports are already widely seen on grave stones so why not football supporters............in fact why do grave yards have to be so bloody depressing, if you celebrate someone then enjoy it, I'd be made up with a blue and white head stone because it would represent me......and it would be my grave

so why put angels and stuff, some find that objectionable. People visit graves to be near a deceased loved one not examine all and sundry. Some other sports are already widely seen on grave stones so why not football supporters............in fact why do grave yards have to be so bloody depressing, if you celebrate someone then enjoy it, I'd be made up with a blue and white head stone because it would represent me......and it would be my grave

it wont let me give you rep for that post mate for some reason but what a bloody spot on post (y)

What a pile of cock! FWIW I'd find it slightly ludicrous that a Red (OK in this instance I'll abbreviate the usual epithet) had his club's crest on a headstone - and equally I know that I'd have positive feelings about seeing our great club's crest on another persons.. that's just the partisan nature of football..

That said wouldn't you just want your loved one buried in another plot - or just ignore it if the headstone was laid after your loved one was buried next to it - with the "offending" stone laid after.

Some people just have to grow some balls and stop ignoring so-called political correctness. Even in death there's no peace from the wicked living!

My brother is buried in Southport and I've seen some lovely headstones relating to other people's passions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back