2021/22 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the grander scheme of things though, across different managers I do wonder why every player who comes to the club seemingly gets worse, maybe with the exception of DCL. Other clubs seem to be able to get the most out of a lot of their players and we used to years ago. Now we sign players and their value rapidly plummets to zero - I can’t help but wonder why that is? Maybe it’s a few things, fitness, coaching etc but different managers are getting the same results - maybe the organisational problems are so far-reaching it directly impacts the players’ ability to do their job. Purely conjecture on my end that though

It's baffling.

Something I've said previously, none of our players actually improve.

In the grander scheme of things though, across different managers I do wonder why every player who comes to the club seemingly gets worse, maybe with the exception of DCL. Other clubs seem to be able to get the most out of a lot of their players and we used to years ago. Now we sign players and their value rapidly plummets to zero - I can’t help but wonder why that is? Maybe it’s a few things, fitness, coaching etc but different managers are getting the same results - maybe the organisational problems are so far-reaching it directly impacts the players’ ability to do their job. Purely conjecture on my end that though

I honestly just think its down to them being poor players and not good enough

I've said it since i was a kid, you need a bit of metal about you to play for Everton. You can have all the talent in the world but without heart and fight your nothing. You can be limited, but give everything on the pitch and show that it matters then you'll earn the respect of the fanbase. We need a mixture of the two

Iwobi hasn't gone worse since he left Arsenal, they got rid because he wasn't good enough and we've unfortunately got the brunt of his crapness

We can add loads of players to the list. Our recruitment is dreadful.

DCL has improved because he's demanding of himself, is grounded, works hard and has took the criticism and used it. He's an example to any lower league player, you can achieve your dreams.

I've said it since i was a kid, you need a bit of metal about you to play for Everton. You can have all the talent in the world but without heart and fight your nothing. You can be limited, but give everything on the pitch and show that it matters then you'll earn the respect of the fanbase. We need a mixture of the two

Iwobi hasn't gone worse since he left Arsenal, they got rid because he wasn't good enough and we've unfortunately got the brunt of his crapness

DCL has improved because he's demanding of himself, is grounded, works hard and has took the criticism and used it. He's an example to any lower league player, you can achieve your dreams.

There’s a few like DCL Gordon Godfrey Docuoure who I think work on their game to improve it. Probably Pickford also in fairness after that massive dip in form he had. The rest I just don’t see it. Even Richarlison is nowhere near the player who started on his debut against Wolves and did that Henry finish first time like it was nothing to him. I wouldn’t put a single pound on him doing that in the same position now.

Digne massive regression
Davies huge regression
Iwobi getting worse
Gomes regressed hugely (could be the injury)
Keane is not the player he was in Carlo’s first half season
Holgate massive slump
Even Townsend looks worse and he’s only been here a few months

My opinion is player's mentality issues and poor recruitment policy over the years.

DCL worked hard since he was 19 - he wasn't really that good at the beginning but he tries really hard for the team. Same could not be said for most of the players we signed. Our players just doesn't work hard enough on the pitch every week. The problem is we have young players who should be given some minutes (like DCL was) to get some exposure and experience...but the chances are harder to come by as the team continuously struggles.

And we dish out lucrative contracts to players like Iwobi, Moise Kean, Gbamin, Tosun & Gomes, who have yet to prove themselves in Everton, nor in their previous clubs. When you give out such lucrative contract and the players who are lukewarm (at best) towards Everton, they are happy to show up because they were never proud to be an Everton player to begin with. And the thing is, those players were not very good players to begin with and needed a lot of work.

Another is the inability to handle pressure. The moment the players step onto the pitch, you sense their fear. It can be daunting because that fear is contagious. If the fans can feel it from the stands, the players would be feeling it more. We used to have strong personalities like Big Dunc, Tim Cahil, Tim Howard, Phil Jag, etc. But right now, we can't really pick out who can rally the team on the pitch.

More Phil Neville, Tim Cahill and Lee Carsley. Less Alex Iwobi, Michael Keane, and Gylfi. Right?

The first three were not bad players either, but they'd got the right attitude.

More Phil Neville, Tim Cahill and Lee Carsley. Less Alex Iwobi, Michael Keane, and Gylfi. Right?

The first three were not bad players either, but they'd got the right attitude.

Attitude is everything. File desire and eagerness to learn and improve under attitude. Have that in your locker and you can't go far wrong.

People are coming to Everton for the wage and the wage only. We've had one player the last 10 years massively gobbing off and that was Lukaku and what he was saying was correct. He was saying we needed to massively improve in order to compete otherwise he'd have to leave to achieve his ambitions.

This is a player who everyone said was obsessed with football, constantly watched videos, stayed behind for extra training drills and then you get someone like Brendan Galloway ( who must have been the same age ) saying Lukaku would have his back, was very vocal and one of the leaders in the team.

That's the type of player we need. Richarlison is similar in attitude but not footballing ability, bit would be a loss due to his attitude. DCL is the closest thing we have in that he ticks all the boxes but he'll be saying similar to Lukaku by the end of this season I should think.

I certainly wouldn't want to stick around at a mid table club and when I look around to see who my winners are, the ones who will go that extra mile to grind out a point or turn a draw into a win I see a lot of talent but no heart and guts in Digne, Keane, Holgate, Kenny, Davies, Gbmanin, Delph, Allan, Tosun, Rondon, Iwobi to name a few. All happy for the money, but the pride in performance and playing for Everton simply isn't there and not one of them I've mentioned can say they're demanding the maximum out of themselves and demanding extra from each other.

That's without me mentioning Coleman, because he does have heart and he does have desire and his attitude has been excellent over the years. But his ability has massively declined yet here we are a few years on massively relying on him week on week.

Sorry for the long post lol

He's the dictionary definition of the word 'coward'.

A person who is contemptibly lacking in the courage to do or endure.

It's not just a lack of ability holding him back - he'd be pretty bad regardless but at his core he has some technical ability. No, it's his cowardice, his lack of application, the complete inability to be a professional.

There is no point in persisting. Send him home, pay up his contract. He's toxic and is now our worst ever signing, quite literally of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back