2021/22 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.

What he has won is all our hearts, he is one of us, and will be for many years to come, hopfully
Seriously I cannot get Enthusiastic about this lad, just can’t see it. Suppose we’ll find out as the consensus over the last half dozen games would appear in support of him in the squad. I’m yet to be convinced, for Evertons sake i hope I’m totally wrong.

It's simple standards. Ours are now in our shoes. Years of Kenwright's expectations management in cahoots with his best buddy Moyes has led to this. It's seeped into our fans too. Relief has led many to suspend the necessary purge that must happen at this club if last season is not to be repeated next. The likes of Iwobi, Holgate, and Delph have been "rehabilitated" by a few vaguely competent efforts over the last six weeks. That sentimental approach will inevitably lead to an action replay of 21/22. People can't say they weren't warned.
Years of finishing top 7 with moyes have not led us to finishing just above relegation after another five managers and a new owner that spunked half a billion on dross.
For the record, we were this bad before moyes took over.

Years of finishing top 7 with moyes have not led us to finishing just above relegation after another five managers and a new owner that spunked half a billion on dross.
For the record, we were this bad before moyes took over.
We were - but Moyes and Kenwright were masters of expectation management to the extent that people still think Moyes was about as good as it can get for Everton. "We had some good times." No, Bill, we really didn't. Finishing fourth in the league only to crash out of the Champions League in the qualifiers because you wouldn't spend to strengthen the squad in advance is not good times. It's another huge missed opportunity. Moyes did a very good job in very restricted circumstances at Everton - but a winner he is not and was not. He was Kenwright's fig leaf of respectability. Everton should be aiming to do better than being a plucky upstart. Granted, we are not even that right now, but there is no future for Everton Football Club as the seventh or eighth best team in England. We have to join the party at the top end of the table, be consistent contenders - and qualifiers - for the Champions League, and start competing for and winning cups. Anything else makes us a deluxe Sheffield Wednesday.

We were - but Moyes and Kenwright were masters of expectation management to the extent that people still think Moyes was about as good as it can get for Everton. "We had some good times." No, Bill, we really didn't. Finishing fourth in the league only to crash out of the Champions League in the qualifiers because you wouldn't spend to strengthen the squad in advance is not good times. It's another huge missed opportunity. Moyes did a very good job in very restricted circumstances at Everton - but a winner he is not and was not. He was Kenwright's fig leaf of respectability. Everton should be aiming to do better than being a plucky upstart. Granted, we are not even that right now, but there is no future for Everton Football Club as the seventh or eighth best team in England. We have to join the party at the top end of the table, be consistent contenders - and qualifiers - for the Champions League, and start competing for and winning cups. Anything else makes us a deluxe Sheffield Wednesday.
Spot on with everything. No point everton just being here to make the numbers up.

Please no more right wing back

He’s a central midfielder or an attacking midfielder

I can't see Iwobi ever becoming an Everton legend, but I think what we've seen from him under Lampard gives us a new context to look at him in. We massively overpaid for him (£28m or whatever it was), so it's unlikely we are ever going to get a profit on him. He has two years left to run on his deal, but we've seen that Lampard can get a tune out of him as a wing back in a 343 or (particularly) as a number 8 in a 433. If that remains the case, even if he isn't a first XI player, I think the discussion about selling him goes away. The fact he can cover both of those positions (we don't have another player in the squad other than Patterson who can play as a right wing back) makes him useful, provided he can keep up the sort of level we saw from him over the last dozen games or so.

I don't ever expect him to be the first name on the team sheet and in fact I don't ever expect him to get to the point where he's considered a first XI player, but simply being someone we can see as being a useful squad player is a huge win, given where he was in the minds of everyone 12 months ago

Seriously I cannot get Enthusiastic about this lad, just can’t see it. Suppose we’ll find out as the consensus over the last half dozen games would appear in support of him in the squad. I’m yet to be convinced, for Evertons sake i hope I’m totally wrong.
Thing is its hard to win over a fan base who are against you, and he knew it, but he worked and didn't shy away, we have players who are possibly more naturally gifted give us less effort

Status
Not open for further replies.